Open Discussion - Chapters - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Discussion - Chapters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Open Discussion - Chapters

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    Does that mean that your chapters follow more of a 'Monster of the Week' format?
    I suppose most of them do at the start. I usually take my time when it comes to introducing the main villains, giving myself the chance to introduce and flesh out the main protagonists. When the main villains are introduced, things usually turn away from episodic content to longer story arcs, although I still like to do a mix of both.

But since most of the problems and situations I throw at my characters are usually resolved in the same chapter, I guess "Monster of the Week" describes my writing style fairly well. Hopefully I can change that up a bit, as I do like longer mini storylines.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    But since most of the problems and situations I throw at my characters are usually resolved in the same chapter, I guess "Monster of the Week" describes my writing style fairly well. Hopefully I can change that up a bit, as I do like longer mini storylines.
    I completely understand. One of my stories is taking on a more formulaic pattern but that will change eventually. I do find that dropping hints of the grander story into the episodic chapters sort of redeems it from a 'filler' status, if you know what I mean.

On the subject of that, does anyone utilise arcs when it comes to writing? I did it for one of my stories, and I find that it helps keep everything in order; grouping chapters into individual stories inside the bigger one.

Blog Entries

Oh boy, this is something I rarely think about.

I like to focus on one event I really want to happen, then anything else which happens happens. An example would likely be one of my chapters, "The meaning of Chaos", the main thing which I wanted to happen was the little chat between two characters. Then I realized I could use this as a chance to reference earlier chapters and also set up for a later chapter by bringing in an onix, I decided to do it, since otherwise it would be pointless to have the chat alone in a chapter.

Other times there are too many main events happening at once so I have to split them up simply so that the chapter doesn't get too long or the events lose their worth. Since I love foreshadowing(its nearly everywhere in my fic, only issue is what foreshadows what and which are fishies of the red varierity). As for when to end a chapter, I write until I think, "Bleh, this is starting to feel boring...". I figure if the author doesn't think the content merits the length, then the readers will feel it much more. The result is chapters of varying length.

Ending a chapter, I tend to either introduce a new conflict, leave the protagonist wondering something, basically setting up for the next chapter. According to my friend's I do a lot of cliffhangers. When I start the next chapter, though, I tend to start after a bit of time has gone by in universe, and have the protagonist already starting to work towards fleshing out the conflict and finding the solution.

Titles, titles, titles, I rarely if ever come up with a title first. I normally write the chapter first then let a title come to me. Occasionally I'll think of one while writting the chapter. As for what type I use, if I feel lazy, I just name it after the location if the setting just changed, since it is a journey fic. My preffered ones tend to be short and sweet, such as "Stars", "The City of Smoke"(love this one), and the one I'm working on, "The Dangerous Duo". Hope my rambling actually accomplished something :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosj2 View Post
    Oh boy, this is something I rarely think about.
    Really? I thought chapters were one of the most common things in writing...

Other times there are too many main events happening at once so I have to split them up simply so that the chapter doesn't get too long or the events lose their worth. Since I love foreshadowing(its nearly everywhere in my fic, only issue is what foreshadows what and which are fishies of the red varierity). As for when to end a chapter, I write until I think, "Bleh, this is starting to feel boring...". I figure if the author doesn't think the content merits the length, then the readers will feel it much more. The result is chapters of varying length.
    If I get bored of writing, I usually just stop and come back to it later. Do you write chapters in one go? Because sometimes, I do feel that the way I go about it results in quite a sudden change in the mood of a chapter.

Blog Entries

I mean that I rarely think about how I determine things for a chapter, such as title and length, they just sorta happened.

If I can, I write in one go, but normally I do it in pieces whenever I have time. In order to avoid changing the mood, I reread what I have written in the chapter thus far (which also gives me an idea of how the reader might feel up to that point). As for arcs, I do them a lot XD

I've done a "become a trainer arc", "trainer school arc", and I have a few arcs planned out too :P

Also when I say get bored, I mean bored of the current event, not of writing, if I get bored of writing....I distract myself for a few minutes then come back to it morale recharged
    Last edited by Protopost; 5th October 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries

If I can, I write in one go, but normally I do it in pieces whenever I have time. In order to avoid changing the mood, I reread what I have written in the chapter thus far (which also gives me an idea of how the reader might feel up to that point).
    I reread what I've written as well, but more often than not, I end up changing the chapter's mood.

Blog Entries

I would stick with 1,000 words per chapter, minimum. Any less and your readers may not feel like the chapter was substantial enough.

On the other hand, chapters that are over 10,000 words can be a drag to read through.

Personally, I think the best chapter length is 3,000 to 5,000 words.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12