Official Mary Sue Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Official Mary Sue Thread

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trainers Starting After Age Ten = Mary-Sue?

Farla reviewed one of my stories on FF.net, I'm never posting there again. It seems like on there whenever I post something good NOBODY reviews it, and when I post something bad EVERYONE reviews it. I tested it.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingullStrike View Post
    It seems like on there whenever I post something good NOBODY reviews it, and when I post something bad EVERYONE reviews it. I tested it.
    What can I say? People love to show others up.

Apparently, most of the reviews for Generation 2021 were positive when I got them, though. Some of the authors even used my fic as evidence that there were good writers on FanFiction.net >_>
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekürom View Post
    What can I say? People love to show others up.

Apparently, most of the reviews for Generation 2021 were positive when I got them, though. Some of the authors even used my fic as evidence that there were good writers on FanFiction.net >_>
    Well no one cares about a poem. So I'm out of luck as far as reviews. Fanfiction.net only seems to be shipping fics, and the journey fics. It's hard writing poems and patter stories with rhythms, and harder when credit isn't delivered where it's due.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingullStrike View Post
    Well no one cares about a poem. So I'm out of luck as far as reviews. Fanfiction.net only seems to be shipping fics, and the journey fics. It's hard writing poems and patter stories with rhythms, and harder when credit isn't delivered where it's due.
    Well, shipping and journey fics are pretty much the heart and soul of Pokémon fanfics.

For whatever consolation it's worth, my Cyrus x Giratina shipping fic isn't getting many hits - the only places where I've gotten reviews without asking is PokéCommunity. FanFiction.net? Nothing.

But AGH, we're getting off topic again.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 19th February 2011 at 01:37 AM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Official Mary Sue Thread

It seems that quite a significant amount of threads deal with this topic. So I'm making this to get a general understanding of what a "Mary Sue" is.

What is a Mary Sue?

A character that the entire world revolves around. All the other characters but the villain loves them. The villain's life revolves around the character. They are the center of the universe.

Characteristics of a Mary Sure?

Usually humble and self-depricating; an attempt to make them seem normal.

Is a Mary Sue a good or a bad character to have?

The question I am most interested in. Obviously, the first reactions would be that it is a bad character. However, this is the stereotype we have grown to believe is true.

Mary Sue is bad in the sense that the character is so in their own world that no one can connect with them, and could possibly only be a writer's fantasy of themselves, and what they wanted to become, but couldn't.

But the Mary Sue character is also useful in many situations, as they can be the one character that leads and organises the story. They don't even have to be the main character. They could be a sidekick who manages to single-handidly redirect the main character to the goal of the story and is actually the real hero.

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts about these questions.
    Last edited by Kayi-chan; 19th February 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Avoiding more threads on the same thing

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mary Sue

The only reason people see Mary Sues as bad is because they have the potential to become boring, unrelatable characters. That, and the fact that some people follow the Harrison Bergeron principle that nobody should be better than the rest, or take the cynical standpoint that the writer is not allowed to have fantasies.

In my opinion, the second one is bullshit, but the first one is understandable.

Blog Entries

a mary sue doesn't necessarily have to be the main character - the defining traits are being flawless and idealized. there are also several types and variations of sues, listed here.
    follow me on tumblr!pokemon tumblr

Blog Entries

I want to know: if a character represents what the author wishes to be but is actually a interesting, likable character as well, then is said character a Mary/Marty Sue regardless?

Blog Entries

That depends on your definition of a Mary Sue, which I believe differs from one writer/reader to the other. And I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinking a "Mary Sue" is.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    And I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinking a "Mary Sue" is.
    I'm not a great writer, but my definition is this;

- Mary Sue is perfect.

That's the problem, nobody's perfect. And that's the problem with Mary Sues in fan fictions. Who wants to read a story about some character who never loses and catches legendaries?

I know I don't.

Blog Entries

But that comes down to: "What is 'Perfect'?"

In Pokémon, the answer may be what you just said, someone who never loses and catches legendaries. But Mary Sue is not restricted to fanfiction, and in daily life, what is 'perfect'?

What we might see as a perfect character or a Mary Sue, someone else can see as imperfect. Everyone has different standards.

Blog Entries

I see a perfect person like a guy or the girl who have it all, the looks, the personality, the luck in everything and they're so rich so they like helping to people in need around the world.

They simply can't make a mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I see a perfect person like a guy or the girl who have it all, the looks, the personality, the luck in everything and they're so rich so they like helping to people in need around the world.

They simply can't make a mistake.
    So that is what a Mary Sue is (to you).

But my definition differs. As I see myself as perfect. I know it sounds arrogant and stuck up, but please read with reason.

Perfect is someone who is completely happy with every aspect of their life, and they work towards making it happier. I am content with how I look, my luck, my life, my friends, my family, and everything that make me who I am. When I find something I don't like, I change it. Example: Haircut.

If a person stays completely happy and content with their life, then they are perfect in their own sense. Someone else may be perfect, but they have a different kind of perfection.

But Mary Sue is not a perfect character in my definition.

Quote Originally Posted by ME! :D
    A character that the entire world revolves around. All the other characters but the villain loves them. The villain's life revolves around the character. They are the center of the universe.
    They aren't necessarily perfect in their own sense. If I try to connect my definition of perfect and Mary Sue, it would be: A Mary Sue is a character that everyone sees as perfect and wants to become them.

Blog Entries

Now that's different.

It's what Mary Sue is to you, but did you ever see a writer writing about a Mary Sue who thought he/she was perfect because he/she was content with her life completely? (Much like in your opinion)
    I think most writers see Mary Sue as characters who have no flaws or weaknesses, who never lose at anything, and not as characters who are content with their life. :/

Blog Entries

No flaws, no weaknesses, never losses. Would that character be unhappy about their life? Depends on the character...

I've said it before though, a Mary Sue (in my definition) isn't perfect. It's a character that is the center of everyone's life.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast