Official Mary Sue Thread - Page 17
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Official Mary Sue Thread

"Don't call me that name" TwinLukes's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit TwinLukes's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Mary Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    No flaws, no weaknesses, never losses. Would that character be unhappy about their life? Depends on the character...

I've said it before though, a Mary Sue (in my definition) isn't perfect. It's a character that is the center of everyone's life.
    Well, another common trait is that the Mary Sue will want to be "Normal" even though there she has no drawbacks or flaws whatsoever that would really MAKE her want to be normal

Claims: Virizion - 03/08/14, Swords Dance - 03/08/14

Default Re: Official Mary Sue Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I would ask you to marry me or something, but I think that might be considered anti-feminist.
    Um... no. No, it would not. Feminism is where a woman can make her own decisions just like any man would. Not to be better than men. Not to kill all men. To be on equal footing with men. You can ask Caitlin to marry you but it's his/her choose to say yes or no.

And also, while smaller victories should be celebrated, America (among other nations) are still biased against women as a whole (particularly the powers that be) and it shouldn't be wrong to call BS on, well, BS. Nobody should settle for this or that, that should keep on fighting. We try to say that women aren't oppressed while BS like Rape Culture and victim blaming still persists. These "feminazis" would be "happy" if this sort of crap was acknowledged more.

And @ the moment you said "Feminazi" is where you lost ALLLLLLLLLLL credibility in your statement.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

I'm A Bit-I Mean Witch Capricious Equilibrium's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you guys please get onto the topic? Yes, woman's rights is an important subject, with them being unfairly treated. We're all humans, same species. Same. Equal. Just that some idiots can't see that, letting ethnicity and gender, among other things, get in their way of seeing this. But this is getting a bit off topic, the thread is for discussing Mary-Sue(s).

Sorry for sort of mini-modding.

Anyway, I despise Mary-Sue(s), and they can ruin otherwise good stories, especially fanfics. They can take everything amazing from other characters and drain them to blah. However, people tend to overuse the term. A Mary-Sue is not just anyone with powers. She gets everything through things not explained. For example, a lot of bitter Jayna shippers people call the character of Piper McLean from Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series a Mary-Sue. By definition, she isn't. Although most of these aren't gigantic spoilers, those of you who haven't read the book might want a fresh experience.

All this also applies for the male counterparts, Gary-Stu(s) or whatever you like to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I would ask you to marry me or something, but I think that might be considered anti-feminist.
    Um... no. No, it would not. Feminism is where a woman can make her own decisions just like any man would. Not to be better than men. Not to kill all men. To be on equal footing with men. You can ask Caitlin to marry you but it's his/her choose to say yes or no.

And also, while smaller victories should be celebrated, America (among other nations) are still biased against women as a whole (particularly the powers that be) and it shouldn't be wrong to call BS on, well, BS. Nobody should settle for this or that, that should keep on fighting. We try to say that women aren't oppressed while BS like Rape Culture and victim blaming still persists. These "feminazis" would be "happy" if this sort of crap was acknowledged more.

And @ the moment you said "Feminazi" is where you lost ALLLLLLLLLLL credibility in your statement.
    FP basically hit it on the head, but I'm a little sad that the only thing you got out of my month-old post, as well as the only reason you apparently saw fit to resurrect a thread with off-topic content, was the part of my argument that was meant as sarcasm.

I don't have anything relevant to this thread to say here, but I'm perfectly issue to continue this debate with you in a more appropriate location.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617