Need help with characters

Thread: Need help with characters

Whispers in the dark... DarkDreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Need help with characters

Right now i'm just writing a story for fun. Then it became not so fun to write because I have 2 heroes in this story that I want to reveal. I want to bring out both characters without telling them who they are entirely at first, but i'm finding it difficult to do so. The characteristics I want to hide are...pretty significant. It'll be equivalent to hiding the fact that the protagonist wets their bed. If you don't understand what I mean, it's basically that I want to reveal the actual character for both my heroes later on in the story, even though it'll be pretty hard to do so. I guess what I typed out was pretty weird. derp

Any help here?
    KPU GM/ModSteven Stone Lover <3

...And so the elegant night vanquished the morning sun...

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help with characters

I'm not sure I understand...

If it's just a trait, why can't you just not mention it?

Whispers in the dark... DarkDreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because it'll be hard to explain unless the character explains it himself to another character...
    KPU GM/ModSteven Stone Lover <3

...And so the elegant night vanquished the morning sun...

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Option 1: Actually have the character explain it to another character himself.

Option 2: The way I would probably do something like this is just present the heroes whose identity you want to hide as if they are a different character. In what way has your story been told so far? If it is told in third person but still mostly from the point of view of a single character then it's perfectly acceptable for the narration, even though it is third person, to be told from the point of view of that character and, as such, include any errors in judgement they may have made. For instance, if the character met someone who they believed to be male, the narration could refer to them as male right up until they are revealed as female. If it is not told from the point of view of one character but it switches then my suggestion would be to just say what one of your characters THINKS of the situation. eg. "It seemed to DarkDreams that Gastly's Mama was a well mannered and well spoken young lady." and only later... "Not only did it turn out that Gastly's Mama was male but also he was a jerk."