• 1 Post By Boreal
  • 1 Post By Dread Advocate
  • 1 Post By MuddyMudkip
  • 1 Post By User_Name

Thread: That nagging doubt

Blog Entries

Default That nagging doubt

Example: Moxie, ir-dr:

You know what I mean. That voice in the back of your head that makes you doubt yourself and your writing because "nobody will like it" making you afraid of being torn apart for it. Have you ever had that? And how do/can you over come it?

I ask this because I write to entertain people and knowing that I'm not entertaining then but rather displeasing them isn't a comforting thought. When I write, it feels like that voice it holding me back.

Thoughts?

Ms. Canadian Destroyer Caite-chan's Avatar
    Follow Caite-chan On Twitter

Default Re: That nagging doubt

I actually had that when I went to post my first story here. I write a lot of wrestling related fics and so I had that very same thought. This is a Pokemon board...who's gonna wanna read something wrestling related. But then I just said the hell with it and posted one of my One Shots and people read it and left ccomment. I had posted one of my OS's on another board before and no one bothered to even read it much less leave a comment.

But posting my stories here made me feel like I could post them even if it isn't Pokemon related.
    matt0044 likes this.
    [ Fan Fic: Loving Hope (CH 9) | Breeding Center ]
    3DS Friends Code: 0834-1774-6902 | Friend Safari: Electric - Electrode, Stunfisk & Zebstrika

Add Boreal on Linkedin

I think to an extent you need to be self-motivated and you need ideas that you, personally, can get behind for their own sake. If you're dependent on whatever audience is willing to pay attention to you, doubt and insecurity seem like the natural responses. You can entertain people without being dependent on their approval. I feel as though a lot of amateur writers are so attention- and approval-motivated, even if it's only through comments and reviews, that they stifle their own potential rather than alienate people who wouldn't like the best of them, anyway.

One thing that's helped me is to not upload unfinished work. There's no way that other people's preferences can influence me while I'm working on the idea I thought was good enough to write about in the first place now. I have two dedicated beta readers who enjoy the genre if I need help. I can also edit the first chapter as I'm finishing the last without consequence.
    Last edited by Boreal; 17th June 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    matt0044 likes this.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

My creative writing teacher this past semester called this "the mind monkey." He said you need to distract the monkey, and bring forth the "pink elephant," or subconscious creative potential. How you go about distracting the monkey is dependent on you. For me, listening to metal really helps.
    Last edited by Dread Advocate; 18th June 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    matt0044 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

Whenever some kind of negative/nagging thought of that sort tempts me into not finishing what I'm working on and/or become even more discouraged, I usually decided that it's best to just take a break. Grab some food, listen to some nice music, or read. Sometimes I turn to running/working out or maybe even studying just to clear my mind of those things for a while. XD
    matt0044 likes this.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Blog Entries

I get that a lot. What I do is simpler: just post it, then if people don't like it, try to do better next time. Don't dwell on the fact that your story isn't great. That people aren't very fond of it means you can only get better. So keep trying, and eventually something might work out.

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    I get that a lot. What I do is simpler: just post it, then if people don't like it, try to do better next time. Don't dwell on the fact that your story isn't great. That people aren't very fond of it means you can only get better. So keep trying, and eventually something might work out.
    Oh, how I wish that was easy for me. It feels like the opinions of others matter to me because... I'm not sure if my opinions are legit. I could be a raving lunatic and I wouldn't know it. I try to let that feeling go but...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    Oh, how I wish that was easy for me. It feels like the opinions of others matter to me because... I'm not sure if my opinions are legit. I could be a raving lunatic and I wouldn't know it. I try to let that feeling go but...
    Right. People keep saying not to worry or stuff like that, but it is much easier said than done. What calms your mind? Further delving into what I've done, I've noticed that I keep my mind calmed when attempting things. Music calms me down, and in a lot of cases, inspires me.
    matt0044 likes this.

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.