A medieval/Pokemon combination? *Ideas and feedback appreciated*

View Poll Results: Would you read this fic?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

2 25.00%
  • Probably.

5 62.50%
  • Maybe.

1 12.50%
  • Not likely.

0 0%
  • Never!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A medieval/Pokemon combination? *Ideas and feedback appreciated*

Blog Entries

Default A medieval/Pokemon combination? *Ideas and feedback appreciated*

Well, it's the summer now, which means I have WAY too much free time. I've been thinking about writing a new fic, but it seems like I always lose interest in generic Pokemon journey stories. I've been considering a more action-oriented medieval story. I have the basic ideas down, but not much more than that:

1. The knights and warriors would use real-life weapons like swords and bows, but Pokemon would also play a role. For example, knights would ride on Rapidash and some of the army would be made up of Pokemon like Gallade and Bisharp.

2. The story would be about two rival armies at war, both seeking some legendary treasure (A Pokemon, maybe the Musketeer trio).

3. If/when an army discovers the Legendary Pokemon, it/they would go into a rage and the two armies would have to join together to calm the Pokemon.

What do you think of it? I'd like to know if you'd read a fic like this or not, and if you have any ideas.
    -Gray [n.] Any achromatic color; any color with zero chroma, intermediate between white and black.-
    Assassins' Creed: Reborn, my newest RP

Blog Entries

Default Re: A medieval/Pokemon combination? *Ideas and feedback appreciated*

I would definitely read this, and I can also imagine Lapras being used for water travel, and digging Pokemon being used for castle infiltration.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I am doing something like this with my fantastic Pokeworld of Yoso--you're welcome to read my notes for ideas on how to build your world.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

I've thought about doing a historical pokémon story too, though mine would have been set in the 16th or 17th century. But pokémon in the Middle Ages sounds interesting too.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

A feudalistic Pokemon world? That's actually a very neat and original idea.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a great idea as long as you do enough research.

LT's notes would probably be really helpful but I'd say it's integral that you do enough research into medieval times, as well as what country this would be set in. (Obviously, most former British colonies wouldn't really fall into the category of 'medieval' in the classic sense so you're looking at Europe)

At the same time, you'll have to remember that your reader probably won't know much about medieval times =P

Still, best of luck, sounds like a great, original idea!

Blog Entries

Of course if there's any aspect of my fantastic Pokeworld you want me to address in hopes it will help with your story's world, let me know

Blog Entries

I had an idea like this at one point. The details had been forgotten, but it got baked into the background story of a region I created.

One thing I'd like to point out is that using Pokemon as weapons of war and weapons alone, not companions, would probably be a good way of going about it. A lot of Pokemon material, official and fan made, is about the ethical treatment of Pokemon. Rarely do I see something where their feelings and emotions are disregarded for the sake of the kingdom or personal greed/malice.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone! I've got a question, though. Which do you think would be better to be the main character of the story?

1. An honorable, proud commander who is eventually betrayed by his superiors,

or

2. An arrogant novice who doesn't pay attention to orders?

Of course, I could always make one the main character and the other a side-character. I'd probably be more used to writing from the perspective of number one, but the second might make for an interesting plot.
    -Gray [n.] Any achromatic color; any color with zero chroma, intermediate between white and black.-

Blog Entries

Both sound equally fit for an interesting plot--my only question about #2 is why the novice doesn't follow orders

Blog Entries

Both sound good, but 2 sounds like he has much more room for character development.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Number 2 sounds like a more interesting main character.

As you said though, Number 1 could be used as a secondary character.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually have a similar story in planning, so I would suggest setting up the cultures first.

As for the main character question, I vote for Character #1. To me, he seems like the one with the most potential of being a great character with inner conflicts and struggles without being full of angst.

Blog Entries

Will there be magic involved in the fic at all?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    Will there be magic involved in the fic at all?
    No, there would most likely be no magic in the RP. The closest would probably be the attacks of the Pokemon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast