Meaningful Quotations

Thread: Meaningful Quotations

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Default Meaningful Quotations

In recent chapters of my fic Bulbagarden!, I've been utilizing quotations from various sources that are relevant to the chapter or its themes. I think it adds to the story, and it's very fun searching for quotes that express what I'm trying to say with the chapter, but I've also been told that it can come of as somewhat pretentious and snooty. What are y'all's thoughts on this sort of thing - do you think it adds to the story, or is it pretentious?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Meaningful Quotations

I think it depends on the situation. For example, in one of my old Transformers fics, I utilized a WWII-era quote, but adapted it to fit the situation. It went something like, "The lights are going out all across Cybertron. I shall not see them lit again in my lifetime."

Now, obviously, I'm biased here, but I've always been sort of proud of that line, and people seemed to like that I included it.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think that it's pretentious to suggest that it's pretentious. There's nothing wrong with taking your writing seriously, even if it is fanfiction. I think quotes are awesome, and I plan to use them myself in the future.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I did use a very well known quote from an old cartoon in my Fire Emblem fic. lol

Only, I slightly altered it to fit the situation. Anyone familiar with "Well excuuuuse me, princess!"? XD

I'd say go for it! I've been thinking of trying that out for a fic itself, and I think it adds to the feeling of a chapter sometimes, depending on the situation in which you use a quote.
    Sometimes a quote can be used effectively, even if it's not in the same context.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic57049_1.gif

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

do you watch the show "Criminal Minds"? you could easily find a LOT of quotes just by looking up the list to them, there's more often than not two quotes that can add to an episode's premise, especially in some of the more painful ones.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your "meaningful quotations" are called epigraphs. I don't think it really adds anything bad or takes away from the work if you include one. But it should definitely be relevant and thematically appropriate. If you're using a quote that laments about life on a comedic chapter, people might think you're not being serious.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.