Making the Pokeworld your World

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Making the Pokeworld your World

Default Making the Pokeworld your World

So how do you guys write the Poke World? I mean, most people don't write the towns as small as they are in the games and the anime has loads of extra towns. Do you adjust the Pokeworld in your works? And speaking of adjusting how do you handle nationalities or do you make the Pokeworld all Japanese, as I've seen some people do.

Personally, I've split the Pokeworld into a vaguely real world for my current two works. I've set each region to represent one or more continents (Hoenn is Africa and a good portion of South America for example). How do you handle such things in your works?
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Default Re: Making the Pokeworld your World

In my works, I tend to literally equate the regions with the corresponding zones of Japan. Kanto/Johto are Honshu, Hoenn is Kyushu, Sinnoh is Hokkaido, etc. A friend of mine and I once considered turning other nations into regions, such as Korea. Anything else grates on my mind, given the deliberate parallels of geography and culture.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

I've actually just begun developing and working on my universe - the reality in which my story will take place.

I've adjusted Kanto and pretty much made it quite similar to the actual region of Kanto in Japan on which it was based while at the same time making up stuff of my own. For example, having Johto and Kanto originally be one region but the differences between the cultures and constant wars led to the separation from which two separate cultures, two separate lands stemmed.

Yes, you could say that I adjust Pokeworld. It's really fun creating your own universe and its own history.

I make everything like "country"-sized regions. I mean, it's supposed to take a year to travel through a region after all. This includes larger cities, more non-canon towns and such. Not everything is visited, necessarily, but I have them there as potential appearances.

I also like to change how the towns look, at times. For example, I really loved the anime version of Oreburgh City, so I'd be prone to writing Oreburgh like that if I had a fanfic set to Sinnoh.

The same goes for other towns, cities and locations; I change them, adapt them, make them more interesting (in my eyes).

But generally I enjoy creating regions and places so much I've created my own region for my upcoming fanfiction to be set in.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Blog Entries

This is what I have been doing so far to Sinnoh. I'm keeping the main towns and such, but giving each one its own special thing to help stand out. I made Twinleaf more of a little village which has no shops, nothing, like the distant suburbs of Sandgem, thus walking from one to the other would be common (as to why the player's mother doesn't really mind sending you off there). Sandgem didn't get a lot of attention, but its more of a classic village, with ye old shop and a pokémon center, and only standing out thanks to Rowan's lab (which takes up most of the space). Jubilife, being not too far away, is the first major city, and is the entertainment area, with television studios, pokétch headquarters, the largest (albeit dying) trainer school in sinnoh, holograms reinacting battles, etc. Oreburgh was seen more of a duller version of Jubilife. Same size, just no flashy lights, instead plenty of smoke, dust and other coal related sideeffects. Those the the ones I've actually done, and I plan to give the rest of Sinnoh my own special flare.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've made the Pokeworld's cities a lot larger (Pallet Town, for example, is a LOT larger than it is in the show), giving each of them a shopping district, an entertainment distract, while keeping true to the character of each one.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

I have Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Sevii, Orre, Holon, Fiore, Almia, Pokétopia (from Battle Revolution), the Orange Archipelago, Pokémon Island (from Snap), Mintale (from Channel), the TCG Islands and Faraway Island all together as a nation located somewhere between Japan and California. I haven't placed Unova yet, and I deliberately left out Oblivia because the game in which it appears directly contradicts the main series.

Furthermore, I insert White City (from Stadium 2/GS) into Johto, somewhere near Goldenrod City, using the stadium as the site of what I call the "Johto League preliminaries", which is something like a tournament determining who gets to face the Elite Four. Similarly, I take Cameran from the eighth movie, modernize it and turn it into the same type of city as White City with a similar tournament for the Indigo League. Other than that, I haven't decided yet.

It looks like I'm one of only a few people who actually try to place the Pokéworld on Earth. I do this for a couple of reasons: Pokédex entries mentioning real locations and animals, and because I can't really imagine four of my characters coming from anywhere else but New York.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

I make everything like "country"-sized regions. I mean, it's supposed to take a year to travel through a region after all. This includes larger cities, more non-canon towns and such. Not everything is visited, necessarily, but I have them there as potential appearances.
    This is something that I like to do - I can't imagine that the regions only have the towns in the games. I always have extra towns and the main ones are always larger than they are in-game. It makes it more fun to write about and also gives you more flexibility in timing. If things in the game world were directly translated to the real world, you could probably fit all of one region into a single large state here in the US.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by RaiThunder View Post
    This is something that I like to do - I can't imagine that the regions only have the towns in the games. I always have extra towns and the main ones are always larger than they are in-game. It makes it more fun to write about and also gives you more flexibility in timing. If things in the game world were directly translated to the real world, you could probably fit all of one region into a single large state here in the US.
    As for size, I typically think of one region to be between 500-1000 kilometers in each direction, or something of an equivalent to my home country, Norway. Even at a slow pace you'd be able to walk north to south in about a month with this kind of size. Add in time spent NOT walking in the wild, a few days in each city, the fact that you often criss-cross the country and whatnot, and you get close to a year - which is the mean time I work with as far as a trainer journey is concerned (naturally, with stories that are not trainer journeys this is changed and worked on freely as I see fit).
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

I typically think of one region to be between 500-1000 kilometers in each direction, or something of an equivalent to my home country, Norway.
    I'm not sure how large I want the size estimate yet, but the Unova region in my story is fairly large, taking approximately six months to traverse by foot/bike. The story will be taking place over approximately eighteen months though, so I have time for the traveling, staying in towns, camping, and side-quests that the characters overtake. I prefer to make the regions large sized countries - half the US for the parts of Unova available in Black and White, the size of Africa/South America for Hoenn - because it gives me more room the make extra cities and talk about explorations of areas.
    Review Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    I have Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Sevii, Orre, Holon, Fiore, Almia, Pokétopia (from Battle Revolution), the Orange Archipelago, Pokémon Island (from Snap), Mintale (from Channel), the TCG Islands and Faraway Island all together as a nation located somewhere between Japan and California. I haven't placed Unova yet, and I deliberately left out Oblivia because the game in which it appears directly contradicts the main series.

Furthermore, I insert White City (from Stadium 2/GS) into Johto, somewhere near Goldenrod City, using the stadium as the site of what I call the "Johto League preliminaries", which is something like a tournament determining who gets to face the Elite Four. Similarly, I take Cameran from the eighth movie, modernize it and turn it into the same type of city as White City with a similar tournament for the Indigo League. Other than that, I haven't decided yet.

It looks like I'm one of only a few people who actually try to place the Pokéworld on Earth. I do this for a couple of reasons: Pokédex entries mentioning real locations and animals, and because I can't really imagine four of my characters coming from anywhere else but New York.
    The issue with making the pokéworld a new continent in the Pacific is that it's geographically identical to the Japanese islands. You'd get two more or less identical landmasses - that being impossible - each with a virtually identical region called Kanto. That's why I choose simply to retool Japan.

If the game world was real, it would be impossibly tiny, much smaller than a 'large' state. If each region had a realistic number of settlements... it would match up well in size with Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    As for size, I typically think of one region to be between 500-1000 kilometers in each direction, or something of an equivalent to my home country, Norway. Even at a slow pace you'd be able to walk north to south in about a month with this kind of size. Add in time spent NOT walking in the wild, a few days in each city, the fact that you often criss-cross the country and whatnot, and you get close to a year - which is the mean time I work with as far as a trainer journey is concerned (naturally, with stories that are not trainer journeys this is changed and worked on freely as I see fit).
    This is a very sensible suggestion, and a good compromise.

I'm not sure how large I want the size estimate yet, but the Unova region in my story is fairly large, taking approximately six months to traverse by foot/bike. The story will be taking place over approximately eighteen months though, so I have time for the traveling, staying in towns, camping, and side-quests that the characters overtake. I prefer to make the regions large sized countries - half the US for the parts of Unova available in Black and White, the size of Africa/South America for Hoenn - because it gives me more room the make extra cities and talk about explorations of areas.
    Rai, hon, you have no sense of scale. At all. Hoenn would have upwards of two billion people, and hundreds of cities. It would take a lifetime to traverse. We're going to have to discuss this in detail on Skype.

A quick google revealed to me that with modern transport, traversing Japan takes nearly six months. Additionally, the animé's interpretation of size is complete nonsense; that version of the world is grossly enlarged for the purpose of churcning out carbon copied episodes about new pokémon. I disregard it.

I may make a complete map of pokéworld!Japan at some point.

Yeah, in detail on Skype is a good idea. I have no sense of scale for worldbuilding. @.@
    Review Exchange

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    The issue with making the pokéworld a new continent in the Pacific is that it's geographically identical to the Japanese islands. You'd get two more or less identical landmasses - that being impossible - each with a virtually identical region called Kanto. That's why I choose simply to retool Japan.
    It only sounds impossible until you hear yourself say "there are monsters in this world that can control space, time, antimatter and more, and you can carry them around in your pocket." Then you realize that the whole premise basically throws the laws of physics (and in some cases, basic logic) out the window.

Plus, if I made it a retooled Japan, then I'd have to use the Japanese names for everything. And my American/English characters wouldn't be able to get anywhere there because they don't speak Japanese. It just works better for me to leave the place culturally ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    It only sounds impossible until you hear yourself say "there are monsters in this world that can control space, time, antimatter and more, and you can carry them around in your pocket." Then you realize that the whole premise basically throws the laws of physics (and in some cases, basic logic) out the window.

Plus, if I made it a retooled Japan, then I'd have to use the Japanese names for everything. And my American/English characters wouldn't be able to get anywhere there because they don't speak Japanese. It just works better for me to leave the place culturally ambiguous.
    Cloning an archipelago seems a pointless and absurd thing to do to me. Go ahead with it if you like, but I'd raise an eyebrow... it's not a thing I'd be willing to try justifying.

No, you wouldn't have to use Japanese names for everything, nor would you have to strand your English-speaking characters. For example, you could do what pretty much every iteration of the pokémon world does and name everything neutrally, like "Saffron" as an expy for Tokyo. You can simply have your characters understand Japanese, because why not? You can make the damn place culturally like the pokéworld which happens to be based on Japan, what with all those bullet trains, pagoda towers and kimono girls. You can make the damn place culturally ambiguous, or culturally your own thing. But the geography is that of Japan.

You're telling me you can have an archipelago exactly like Japan sitting next to it in the Pacific, but you can't make your characters learn Japanese. False dichotomy, laughable fallacy, and borderline hypocrisy given your little speech about doing what you like with the premise regardless of plausibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    Cloning an archipelago seems a pointless and absurd thing to do to me. Go ahead with it if you like, but I'd raise an eyebrow... it's not a thing I'd be willing to try justifying.

No, you wouldn't have to use Japanese names for everything, nor would you have to strand your English-speaking characters. For example, you could do what pretty much every iteration of the pokémon world does and name everything neutrally, like "Saffron" as an expy for Tokyo. You can simply have your characters understand Japanese, because why not? You can make the damn place culturally like the pokéworld which happens to be based on Japan, what with all those bullet trains, pagoda towers and kimono girls. You can make the damn place culturally ambiguous, or culturally your own thing. But the geography is that of Japan.

You're telling me you can have an archipelago exactly like Japan sitting next to it in the Pacific, but you can't make your characters learn Japanese. False dichotomy, laughable fallacy, and borderline hypocrisy given your little speech about doing what you like with the premise regardless of plausibility.
    ....there's no need to get hostile. Holy crap.

And it's not exactly like Japan. Take a look at my personal map:

The way I have it set up, the shapes of the regions are roughly similar to the places they're based on, but not exactly the same.

As for having my characters learn Japanese, it's out-of-character. When it comes to throwing out plausibility, throwing out character consistency/believability is where I draw the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast