ACADEMY: Lesson 2: Creating Fantastic Pokeworlds - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lesson 2: Creating Fantastic Pokeworlds

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Lesson 2: Creating Fantastic Pokeworlds

If you've never played Fire Emblem, you probably wouldn't understand anything I told you about Altarais. But as for Dukane, I really haven't come up with anything else.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I have played Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and am familiar with the Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn story
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Ah, well then, in that case...

Altarais is somewhat larger than Tellius (the continent in FE: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), and has 10 countries. Four are inhabited by beorc while the rest are laguz nations. The beorc nations are Talgria, Cilae, Astryn, and Melora. Talgria is the main protagonistic nation in my Fire Emblem fic and is mainly devoted to their agriculture. Many people there farm and many others are merchants and shopkeepers. They have a good military as well, though, and their strongest soldiers are their knights, both mounted and heavily armored. They are also allies with Cilae and are on good terms with Eraghoa, but have been at odds with Astryn for awhile.

Cilae is a less military oriented nation and is more known for their technology and science. The nation has also produced many healers and people devoted to theocracy as well. Their military is not the greatest, but their strongest warriors are their Pegasus knights, light infantry, and navy. They have the most advanced ships in the entire continent.

Astryn is the largest nation on the continent and was once known for its strong and defensible forts and excellent architecture. However, as of the events of my fic, it has become a poor country that was easy pickings for the Red Claw, a large organization of bandits and other soldiers that are allied with Melora. Their queen is very ill and on the brink of death, and the nobility is desperate to find a new ruler and someone to save them. They found evidence that there is a long-lost prince with some relation to the dying queen, but they have so far failed to find him. A war that occurred over two decades before the events of my fic is what caused Astryn to suffer the horrible fate it received. Before then, their military had every type of beorc soldier known, and their strongest soldiers were heavy infantry, such as heavy knights and halberdiers, as well as archers. They also have pretty strong magic users. Lastly, they are allies of Orenias.

Melora is the antagonistic nation of Altarais, though it was once a better place than it is now. They are devoted to their military and have the strongest soldiers known. They are best known for their powerful Dracoknights, which are the wyvern riders, and their many dark magic users. In fact, the entire country practically lives under darkness and their harsh laws warrant various methods of punishment. Even common people there are rarely forgiving when trouble starts. A person walking down the road is likely to witness someone fighting against someone else, though sometimes just for sport. Melora was not always like this, but they are now.

The laguz nations are Eraghoa, the Perais islands, the Secaini islands, Recathe, Orenias, and Larame. Eraghoa is home to the wolf laguz, who are the best hunters and trackers in the entire continent. Perais is home to the raven laguz, who are the fastest fliers and most reliable messengers. Secaini is home to the heron laguz, who also sometimes serve as flying messengers. Recathe is home to the hawk laguz, who serve as mercenaries as well as flying messengers. Orenias is home to the mighty dragon laguz, the strongest laguz warriors in the continent and friends to Astryn. However, they are at odds with Larame. Larame itself is home to the cat, tiger, and lion laguz and are allies with Eraghoa. Their tracking and hunting skills are also excellent, but naturally not quite as good as those of the wolf laguz. However, they are better at traveling on mountains and climbing.

Blog Entries

Looks good--how do you explain what became of Ike at the end of Radiant Dawn?

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Well, while his ending says he went on a journey to lands unknown and was never seen again, this really means that he was never seen in TELLIUS again, not never seen period. Because he was seen in the continent featured in FE: Awakening according to his descendant, Paris, as well as the lord character, Krom. So I made Altarais one of the lands Ike visits. Though, I had decided for him to settle there before Awakening was even announced... xP

Still, I've also come up with a way to make this work still. Later, Ike and his son choose to visit Awakening's continent, but Ike doesn't stay, his son does. And that's where Paris eventually comes in.

Blog Entries

What can you tell us about Altarais' culture?

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Well, aside from the different cultures of its countries, Altarais, unlike Tellius, actually maintains a peaceful relationship (generally) between the beorc and laguz. There's no prejudice between the races. This wasn't always the case, though. As with Tellius, it took a whole war for the two races to finally reach peace in Altarais. Generally, the people of Altarais are interested in preserving nature as well, which is partly why they reached the peace between the beorc and laguz. The bird laguz like to serve as messengers for the other nations as well. It gets messages and news around faster than it would if messengers traveled on foot.

People of Altarais also value trust quite a bit. They can be forgiving, but at the same time, they are also quite tough on those who betray their trust. Treachery is punishable by death here.

And that's really all I can say. I've moreso focused on the cultures of the countries rather than on that of Altarais as a whole.

Blog Entries

That looks very nice so far.

My next question for you guys is: If your world is an alternate or parallel version of an existing world, how do you plan the counterparts?

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

my story's world is built with sort of a compilation of select (favorite) entries of the Pokemon manga multiverse (with the occasional anime character or two). Technically, I try my best to remain faithful to the original counterparts with the primary difference is their interaction with the story's title ability and the OC main character. in the event that my character were to wind up in an alternate world (read: the original source's world, like the anime or Special manga itself), they would act essentially the same except they wouldn't know the main character or of said title ability...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12