Human Violence in Fics

Thread: Human Violence in Fics

Blog Entries

Default Human Violence in Fics

I noticed that Human-on-Human violence and Human-on-Pokémon violence is very uncommon in the Pokémon anime and game but quite a bit more common in darker fics.

So my question is, do y'all stay away from this idea or no?

-----------

My works feature this a lot.

Even my crackfic has melee combat (armed and unarmed) between Humans. Firearms and other weapons are used against Humans and pokémon in addition to pokémon attacks.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Ankh-Morporkian Citizen. The Patrician's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow The Patrician On Twitter

Default Re: Human Violence in Fics

It's funny you should say that because I'm in the planning stages of a fic that will feature...I wouldn't say gratuitous amounts of violence but a lot. Basically, people get killed in rather creative and unpleasant ways.
    "This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere great. Fall in love...a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind and then change it again because nothing is permanent. Make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask you what you want to do with your life, you won't have to guess. You'll know."

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

Ah, yes, my current fanfiction includes a large quantity of violence. There isn't going to be too much human-on-human violence (unless you count a couple of gruesome suicides), but there have already been several scenes involving human-on-Pokemon violence. I also plan on including a few instances of Pokemon-on-human violence later in the story.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Humans fight as often as Pokemon do in my work, but while I don't show the actual violent act occurring, people (but usually monsters) do die (but more often nearly die).

My most recent episode of "The Journeys of the Red Star" has an example of someone being killed, albeit at some point in a hypothetical future (I would say more, but that would be spoilers ahoy.)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

I'm planning on Humans being targeted by Pokémon during battles as well as the Pokémon. The logic is Wild 'mon won't be distinct in their attacks and WILL go for a Trainer if plausible, so the same is applied in official battles, so long as it doesn't kill the Trainer, to teach them how to look out for when a Wild 'mon will go for them, as well as to try and get them used to the pain.

Morals on Sinumonas are weird like that.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

The one fic I have left in the works features no Pokémon at all for the first half or more, only bringing a few in relatively late (as most of the story takes place in New York rather than the Pokémon nation). So most of the violence present in the story is strictly human-on-human, resulting in a death on at least one occasion.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

I think this depends majorly upon the genre of the story, and not preferences. I mean you can't have an action or dark fic without violence, whom the violence is between is irreverent, or at least that depends on preference. In my opinion it doesn't matter.

COMING SOON!

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

The fic I'm working on isn't terribly dark, so it's not like violence other than Pokemon-on-Pokemon crops up every other sentence. One character mainly trains Fighting-types, so human-on-Pokemon violence is familiar to her in that she spars with her own Pokemon on a regular basis. There's also the general wild Pokemon attacking humans, and the occasional trainer commanding a Pokemon to use a move on a human.

Human-on-human violence I plan on being rare, although the rationale for that is one of three things:
    • Two characters get into a fight, but because it's a personal matter they feel that bringing their Pokemon into it just isn't right.
    • They've lost control of their emotions and are lashing out at a person.
    • They just plain don't have their Pokemon with them, or don't have Pokemon with them suited for attacking the person in the manner they want to attack them.
    • People just being silly and beating the tar out of each other for the sake of beating the tar out of each other.

Blog Entries

I was thinking of writing a fanfic which includes a scene of Team Plasma grunts beating up Nate. Shock value because it's adults beating up a child.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Seeing as two of my fics are of the Fire Emblem and Zelda fandoms, there's plenty of violence in them. There's a major war going on in my FE fic and in the Zelda one, Link and Kelli are repeatedly taking out monsters. I'm okay with violence, even a little gorey on occasion, but I don't like it if it's constant. That's just gross and disturbing.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Writing a fic myself at the moment, and I think I won't shy away from using Poké-Human or Human-Human violence. Though, I won't embelish it or anything.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Back when I was still writing Generation 2021, there was plenty of Pokémon-on-human violence. I didn't do it to be dark, but I think it ended up having that effect anyway. Also, no human-on-Pokémon that I was aware of.

A comical example of Pokémon-on-human was Gamer slapping people with her tail whenever they got names wrong. There were also a bunch of fight scenes where some Pokémon aimed attacks at security guards, but I don't remember it happening to main characters, except in one chapter where Diabla's Staraptor hits Ken out of nowhere.

Human-on-human happened too, but mostly in the fight scene at Saffron City. I don't think it was anywhere else. Reading it again, I counted Phoenix throwing a guard down, and another guard kicking Rachel to the ground.

Human-on-Pokémon, I'm not aware of any. I suppose that one scene where a Team Yin guard shots five rounds at an opening Pokéball almost counts, but the bullets are stopped in midair.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 18th March 2013 at 09:45 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

For the current fic I'm working (well, even for the past fic which I abandon), it has no Human-on-Human nor Human-on-Pokemon violence, and I don't think I'll write about it. But it does has Pokemon-on-Human and Pokemon-on-Pokemon violence. And noticeably, death of both human and Pokemon is POSSIBLE in my current fic.

For the Pokemon-on-Human violence, it is possible in my fic world for the Pokemon to attack human even it is its very owner. I planned to have a chapter focusing on one of the main character, where his Hydreigon dislike its owner rebels against him. Though he didn't get injured during the incident and somehow managed to calm the dragon, but the nearby civilians suffers damages and physical injuries and charge towards him because he is the owner of that brutal dragon.

Then for the Pokemon-on-Pokemon violence, very obviously it is the battles. In my fic, the battles are morally divided into two kinds: Sporting battle and Survival battle. For the former, Pokemons are battling merely for the competition of each other's power, hence they will not kill each other. But for the latter, Pokemons will let out all their mights for the battle, because such battle is either you die, or the opponents die. Very similar to Boxing in the real.
    And of course, there holds a problem of sporting battle cannot kill, the guilty party will then be convict as murder if condition is true, accuse may be absolved according to situation. Yeah, the difference between sporting battle and survival battle is merely a thin line of death boundary.
    I acknowledge right from the start that such battle violence will create ethic contradiction in my current fic. But that, is the main feature in my current fic.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

I don't see how violence makes a piece of fiction dark; Star Wars and Pokemon both come to mind, they are technically violent, but neither are specifically dark features. Pokemon perhaps less so, as it's often between animals. But I'd say that immediately conjures up darker images for the casual individual; animal violence is often dark, cruel and the lowest form of entertainment; dog fights, cock fights, these are seen as immoral, disgusting acts. My larger question is; why are Pokemon battles considered so joyous and celebratory. I suppose the answer could be equalled to why we watch boxing. Either way, it is a subject I intend to approach head on in my (one and only) Pokemon fiction. I believe human violence would be an interesting and careful way to approach a deeper Pokemon story.

But gratuitous violence just for violence sake is unnecessary. Piling up deaths and suicides doesn't immediately make your fiction better, deeper, or anymore realistic. You just look like a fool with a fetish. So I take the term "dark" lightly, I guess.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?