How to make a good jumpcut?

Thread: How to make a good jumpcut?

That Zoroark is a Spy! Silver06's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Silver06's Youtube Channel

Default How to make a good jumpcut?

Im trying to start the second chapter of my story off with something like this:

The main character is knocked out and in the hospital, and a second character is talking to a doctor while the main character is still knocked out, i want to have a way that ethier the text can shift from the prespective of the main character (In which the two characters talking are unnamed) to the perspective of the second character (The one talking to the doctor) or that the main character wakes up in the middle of the conversation and i want to do either smoothly and originally. any tips on how to do that?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Default Re: How to make a good jumpcut?

Well I've been doing this as well so I can suggest you to put a small note before those parts so people don't get confused once it comes to the perspective change.

Blog Entries

There a few ways you could do it. None is really more correct than the other, since writing is an art. However you do it, as long as you make it clear to the reader that the POV is changing, you will be good.

Good luck!

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Is your story first person or third person? That's important in this.

I'm not sure I agree with Tsu that you need to make a note to make it clear (although you certainly can if you think that is best) as it is entirely possible to make it clear simply by your writing. If it is first person, one way you could do it is start a new chapter and try and mention the main character by name as early as possible so it is clear that it is no longer from their point of view.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with Tsu that you need to make a note to make it clear (although you certainly can if you think that is best) as it is entirely possible to make it clear simply by your writing. If it is first person, one way you could do it is start a new chapter and try and mention the main character by name as early as possible so it is clear that it is no longer from their point of view.
    I only said it because one of my current readers told me that he got confused when it came to the POV change since my current story is in first person. Of course, it's not necessary, but it's always possible someone gets confused. That is why I suggested the note in the first place though it's in no way an obligation. ^^

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I only said it because one of my current readers told me that he got confused when it came to the POV change since my current story is in first person. Of course, it's not necessary, but it's always possible someone gets confused. That is why I suggested the note in the first place though it's in no way an obligation. ^^
    Oh yeah, certainly I'm sure it's the right call in some situations, but just, as Legacy said, there's no right answer and different things work for different stories.