How long it takes...

Thread: How long it takes...

Default How long it takes...

I am relatively new at this fanfiction game, writing wise anyway, so while I have been talking to different authors I have realised that some authors can actually finish writing a whole chapter in one day. Is that normal? That seems ridiculously quick to me lol

Each of my chapters are around the 5000 word mark and it take me a month to finish a chapter, is that slow? Or is it just because I am new at this?

How long does it usually take you to finish writing chapters? :)
    Team Rocket: Built on Lies

Set after the events of Operation Tempest, Giovanni's next scheme plans to send the world into ruin. But what will Team Rocket do when they realise Operation Tempest has changed Giovanni forever...

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/team-rocket-built-lies-146799/

Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1891 - 1654 - 1184

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How long it takes...

About 30 minutes to an hour, if the idea is a quickie. Longer episodes may take several hours, depending on my mood and distractions.

A month to write 5000 words seems a bit slow to me--are you just taking a while to edit, or are there tons of distractions?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Well, both lol I do edit a lot, and with university deadlines creeping up I don't get as much time as I like to work on it. Or I could just be lazy...that's always a possibility xD

Maybe I'll get quicker as I get more experience, but still, doing it in hours seems mind boggling to me right now haha
    Team Rocket: Built on Lies

Set after the events of Operation Tempest, Giovanni's next scheme plans to send the world into ruin. But what will Team Rocket do when they realise Operation Tempest has changed Giovanni forever...

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/team-rocket-built-lies-146799/

Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1891 - 1654 - 1184

Blog Entries

Once I get into a groove, it usually takes me two or three days to write a chapter and another day to go over it and edit it. However, I have to balance that between real life obligations, my other hobbies and things that are just generally more worth my time.

I guess if you stripped it all down, 6-8 hours to write something around the 5000 word mark. A lot of that is redoing stuff to make sure it flows properly.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Well, between taking breaks and doing other stuff, it takes me a week or two to finish a chapter. Mine tend to be pretty long though, so yeah. And now that I have a job, I might actually take longer. xP

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

If I actually sat down and wrote for a whole day then I could totally finish a chapter. I just never do that. I'm with Caitlin, to be honest. When I do find time to write I can probably finish a 5k chapter in six or seven hours, then I wait a day and edit it.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

I'm quite similar, because I'm easily distracted and I can't find enough time for writing due to many tasks I have right now :( Also I tend to change my mind, therefore I edit a lot sometimes, so yeah, I'm a slow writer.

However, when we had winter break, I've written three 4k words chapters in a week. I just can't focus very well, when I have lots of other responsibilities :/

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I could finish my chapter in a day if I actually kept my focus on them xD I usually take a month but that's only cause I take too long to actually get started on the chapter. My usual number of words? I don't have one really xD aside from that I don't actually keep track of the wrods as much as just the pages so I guess I'm different in that sense.

Blog Entries

It can take me months to get a single chapter out. This is due to a mix of distractions, time crunches and editing.

A more usual time is maybe a a few weeks.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

I think the quickest I've ever written a chapter was maybe two and half weeks, and the chapter was about 16k words, I think. Usually it takes me a month, absolute minimum. More like two or three months though, is my usual, when I update at all. O_O Mostly this is because I write very long chapters and because I'm a perfectionist and read and re-read my chapters over and over as I write. And of course sometimes I do get stuck on parts, or I write something and then change my mind about it and toss part of what I've written. I have to be at least 95% happy with something before I'll post it.

I actually think going from writing to post in a single day is a bad idea, even if you can write it that fast. What you write one day may seem fine but after you sleep on it you'll notice a lot of your mistakes or where you can improve the chapter. After you 'finish' a chapter, you should really give it a day to recheck and edit before you actually post. I think a lot of people's writing mistakes could be avoided that way.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!