How do you differ from canon? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you differ from canon?

Default Re: How do you differ from canon?

Mm, it occurs to me I could mention my headcanon for the world in general. When I write, I usually portray the pokéworld as literally being an alternate universe of our world. Kanto is Kanto, Johto is Kansai, (southern Chubu divided between the two), Hoenn is Kyushu, Sinnoh is Hokkaido. The Sengoku Jidai took place, with pokémon as soldiers, though not necessarily the invasion of Korea or the Meiji Restoration. I'm considering making an enormous map for the entirety of Pokémon!Japan, including its smaller islands, and possibly Korea because I just love going over the top. Britain, too, because I damn well feel like it. I don't have an enormous fanon history, but it'll come in good time, I promise you. This headcanon leads to some interesting 'fridge brilliance' moments. The Sinnoh Battle Frontier is Sakhalin, and the foreigners there are Russian. (No, I didn't look Sakhalin up, I am merely that much of a geography nerd.)

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Meh, I don't actually make too many changes to canon when I write. Then again, I don't have one overarching headcanon for all of my stories. I usually age up the protagonists a little bit, but that's simply because I prefer to write older characters, and I try to never age them up too much. Other than that and having all the regions be in their own world (unconnected to ours), I actually like to play around with canon and see what I can do within its limitations.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Attack of the Gummy Bears Belladonna's Avatar

In the bit of fan fiction for pokemon that I've gotten to so far, I change quite a bit, I think.

1. Different starters
    2. Different age (usually) that the trainer/coordinator begins
    3. I tend to write more about contests, so usually battling has taken a backseat to contests, as it is believed to be too violent.
    4. Even if I'm in a known region (Hoenn's my fave), the time period is different, far into the future.
    5. The setting, rather than being mainly a journey, tends to be in one set location, i.e. a school, specific town, specific house/property.

This is very broad, of course. And I haven't yet posted any of my fan fiction to Bulbagarden. But giving specific examples would take too long.
    If it LOOKS like a duck, and QUACKS like a duck, it is very likely a DUCK. Unless, of course, it is a DITTO using TRANSFORM.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Canon exists in my world solely as a framework and a guideline. If you see it as a restriction, that's what it will become. If certain elements seem difficult to work into a fic, I'll either discard them (Champion Game) or lampshade and lambast them (Something's Got To Give).
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
    Canon exists in my world solely as a framework and a guideline. If you see it as a restriction, that's what it will become. If certain elements seem difficult to work into a fic, I'll either discard them (Champion Game) or lampshade and lambast them (Something's Got To Give).
    They say restrictions bring out an artist's true creativity.

I say, in the case of following canon in a fanfic, that's a load of bullcrap.

Especially when people scream that canon is some sort of bible that all fanfics must follow, sometimes citing the first line I said in the process. (Ironically, the parts of the Bible that were included are called the "canon".)
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

I change Bianca and Cheren's character roles in my BW adaptation fic somewhat. Bianca is an aspiring Pokemon Researcher under Professor Juniper's guidance who tries her best to overcome her shortcomings to build up her role in BW2. Cheren is an ace detective who assists Looker in investigating Team Plasma. They're personalities are the same as from the games but their new roles do make them differ somewhat in my fic.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Storyline wise, I draw a lot of inspiration from the game canon. In other words, I copy it :P The difference comes from me plugging in my own unique characters for the player characters, putting them in the same situations as the game, and seeing what happens. This results in a lot of different things, actually, as my characters' actions often have far-reaching consequences. Another way I differ is the timeline (spoilers here for anyone reading my fic):

The events of DPPt actually happened first (BW has no impact). Galactic is the first evil team, and Lucas and Dawn are now unimportant and irrelevant. Team Galactic failed, obviously, but Team Rocket was born from their remains (Giovanni was a low ranking executive). Team Aqua and Team Magma were already around, but their ranks swelled with criminals from Team Galactic looking for acceptance. Their fight turned to extremism, and the equivalent events of RSE (Emerald especially) took place. One of my OCs, in the place of a player character, played a vital part in stopping them. "Unpredictable" is the equivalent events of RBY, taking place after what I call "The Rayquaza Incident," with Keith taking the place of Red. GSC never really happens due to the actions of my characters, and everything after "Unpredictable" is completely separate from canon (with the exception of cameos by a few characters).

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

There is a difference between "differ from canon" and "expand on canon". My work almost never differ or divert from the concepts of the canon world, I just simply expand it based on the already given ideas and notions.
    In my current work (unfortunately it is not a Trainer fic. I categorize it as Adventure), I use the combination of the Main series game and Special manga canon, add some little things that is reasonable and expand on the blank spaces of the already-existing concept of the world. Almost no change is made to the already given canon concepts (I'm quite stubborn about the given canon concepts, because I like what it was originally given, I don't want to change it too much). However, that doesn't mean I follow rules of canon like bible (BTW, is there even a solid rule written in black and white that one must do this and that but not this and that? I don't think so).

BTW, Speaking of "differ from canon", (I don't know should I consider this as a canon work, but it is one of the official work, so I'll say it is canon) the most recent (infamous?) Pokemon Reburst manga, and also the Pokemon Conquest (Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition) uses a total complete different concept that is nothing comparable to the already existing canon worlds we knew of. That, is what I should called as differ from canon.

Every different official Pokemon works have different ideas, and each have a world different from each other even that is just by a bit. Therefore, in the Pokemon series, we have so many "canons" that there is not a single unique one. We have an Anime canon, Game canon (where that can even subdivided to Main series game canon, Dungeon canon, Ranger canon, Pokepark canon, etc), Manga canon (again I think we can subdivided into smaller categories as well), TCG canon, now I think we can make up two new ones known as Reburst canon and Nobunaga canon. The "divert from (already-existing) canon" even exist in canon itself, so the question "Why differ from canon?" seems a little silly. The answer is just so simple: Because your story needs it.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Aside from the fact that guns do exist and are used by trainers and non-trainers alike, I try to keep true to the canon.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

I write that to become a Pokemon Trainer, you really do have to go to Pokemon Trainer School. If you're 14 and the teacher/Professor observes your school records so far, they'll select you to take a test to become a Trainer. Although the choice is primarily yours since you may or may not feel you have a long way to go. After taking a written test to see the student's knowledge on and empathy for Pokemon and a physical exam to see how healthy they are to travel long distances, they're allowed to select a Pokemon to have delivered to their house (this is optional) and then take one last test to see their battling skills. They're given their Trainer ID card and Pokedex.

A second method that involves not having gone to a Pokemon Trainer School has you given a starter Pokemon and a test to see if you can learn quick enough. You're paired with another Trainer who's been to a Pokemon Trainer School who acts as your companion to assist you (it helps if the companion is a friend of yours) and you're given a temporary Trainer ID card and Pokedex. After winning the first Gym battle on which you're evaluated, you're upgraded to a permanent Trainership.

I also write in that handguns and other firearms were outlawed worldwide with existing ones all destroyed and ceasing further production. None of the criminals minded since, hey, they had Pokemon and their foes could be toasted with a Flamethrower.
    Last edited by matt0044; 30th June 2012 at 02:12 PM.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every different official Pokemon works have different ideas, and each have a world different from each other even that is just by a bit. Therefore, in the Pokemon series, we have so many "canons" that there is not a single unique one. We have an Anime canon, Game canon (where that can even subdivided to Main series game canon, Dungeon canon, Ranger canon, Pokepark canon, etc), Manga canon (again I think we can subdivided into smaller categories as well), TCG canon, now I think we can make up two new ones known as Reburst canon and Nobunaga canon. The "divert from (already-existing) canon" even exist in canon itself, so the question "Why differ from canon?" seems a little silly. The answer is just so simple: Because your story needs it.
    I think the line of thought there is that as fans, and not original creators of the work, we are "unworthy" or "undeserving" of not following "canon", as if it's somehow "disrespectful" or "perversive" to the original author's wishes.

If that's the case, why have creative fandom at all? Let's just all be consumer fandom maniacs who do nothing but discuss the actual works all day.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

I write the Unovan Pokemon League as a bi-annual event and 90 days before the tournament starts accepting entries, the Gyms open up to challengers who want the badges to get in the league. The leaders have second occupations to tie them over until the next league so they still earn money.

Ein
    Blog Entries

Follow Ein on Tumblr

Despite them still being far from complete, this is how the canon differs in my future fics:

Setting:

Government:

Pokemon League:

Military:

Religion:

Events:

Chracters:

Law and order:

Orre:

A lot of this stuff is actually just background information that I wanted to have before I started out. I am still changing it and abandoning ideas that I once had, for example I originally intended for Wes from Colosseum to have Aura powers, but I realised that it would make a lot more sense for Rui to have them.

I'm still also working out how some of the manga events fit in there as well.

I apologise for walls of text. I tried to seperate them and keep them to keep them less wall-y.
    White FC: Blair 4126 8383 6387

My claims: Joltik, Run Away, Snag Ball, Luck Incense, Shadow Rush.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12