How to describe certain moves? :/

Thread: How to describe certain moves? :/

Follow -Polaris- on Tumblr

Default How to describe certain moves? :/

I dont mean any old moves. Here a just a few.

Swords Dance
    Bulk Up
    Metronome

There are many more. But if i posted them all it would be quite a horrid post :D

Default Re: How to describe certain moves? :/

I've only written like, I don't know, two battles? But what I did was go to the move's page on Bulbapedia and look at some general photos. If that didn't help, I'd go to YouTube and watch a short clip of the move in action. Then I add in some fancy description of a move and voila.

So for example if I were to have a pokémon use the move Swords Dance, I'd go here. In the games we can see that blue swords appear around the user and spin. But in the anime a part pokémon's body does the dance instead. At this point it's really up to you to decide what you want to do. And don't forget there's always the possibility of mixing them.

snorlax | rest | dark aura | stick | tea | one-shot | poetry

Blog Entries

For swords dance, I guess the main focus of the move is dancing... which somehow makes it attack more powerfully. Maybe the pokemon in question would perform an agile dance to practise their fighting technique and focus their mind, or something. I'm not quite sure.

For bulk up, all that needs to happen is for the pokemon to enlarge and enhance his or her muscles... somehow. I think that's essentially what the move involves, though exactly how you'd make it happen is beyond me. That being said, there are stranger moves out there.

For metronome, I imagine the user would hypnotise themselves into a trance. Then with their mind completely clear (and with no direct control over themselves) they would be able to use powers they couldn't normally do. What they do after hypnotising themselves doesn't necessarily have to be an actual move - it could be any sort of strange power.

Hmm, well, that's roughly what I think. Hope this will be of use to you.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Blog Entries

If your writing realistically Swords Dance would be more of a fighting stance and Bulk Up could be anything from self motivation to Mind Over Matter. Metronome, well, you'll have to stick to fantasy for this one. I think it'd be awesome if you gave it a gimmick, like your character literally pulls a move outta their hat. More interesting than a wag of the finger IMO.

colbertint225.jpg

Well, not ALL Wag of The Finger...
    IGN: Jraken
    FC: 4227-2083-0655 --- Ditto, Lillipup, Loudred

RP Stories
    The Story of Yewer (Series 1, COMPLETED)
    Heroes of Yewer, Queensfall (Series 2, IN PROGRESS)

HoY Signups: HERE

I did a Bulk Up with a Vigoroth once. He was about to be attacked by... a Fire Punch, I believe. So I focused on the defensive part of the move and went with the idea that he would use it to minimize the incoming damage. So basically, Vigoroth just flexed his muscles so that the incoming Fire Punch would hit a harder surface and thus cause him to take less damage and cause the Magmar (I think) to recoil a little.

The Dude Abides

The huge mantis-like critter bows its head, and seems to meditate for a few seconds. And then it moves its scythe arms, as if in time to music only it can hear. The scythes press together, and still at the same beat, the Scyther grinds them together. When it finishes, the scythe arms shine. The blades now look like they could cut bone.

"Could ya Bulk Up, Hariyama?" the laid back surfer asks the huge Pokemon. He nods, and then stomps several times, before becoming perfectly still, his massive legs spread apart as far as they can be. The sumo Pokemon breathes in, breathes out, and then somehow it just looks a little bigger and thicker than before. No glimmering or glow, just a subtle growth.

I try again to get the stupid Clefairy to listen. "Doubleslap, now!"
    She nods, as if she understands me, and then moves her finger back and forth. It's like she's scolding the Raticate for being naughty. Nothing happens for a moment, and then the ground opens up under Raticate and swallows it. Its trainer hastily recalls it before it can fall down a bottomless pit.
    "Uh...good...job? Was that a Fissure?"
    The Clefairy gives me a smug smile.

Blog Entries
    Follow Felly On Twitter
    Follow Felly on Tumblr

It's situational, I think. Some moves, like Bulk Up, could be defensive, and it also raises Defense. Metronome spouts out a random move, so it could be a surprise attack. Swords Dance just boosts attack, so something offensive-y would be beneficial.

Basing it off the situation would be helpful, and also referencing the Bulbapedia article of the move you're trying to describe will be helpful, & will overall be beneficial in describing the move.

URPG Grader, Ranger, Official, & Referee
    URPG Stats || Petalburg Woods