Hoenn in the 1950s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoenn in the 1950s

Default Hoenn in the 1950s

What I want to know is, what kind of technology do you guys think Hoenn would have back in 1958-1960? They've got all the Poke Balls (like Lure Balls, Dive Balls) atleast the ones exclusive to Hoenn. But, what about stuff like... the Exp. Share? the PokeNav? the VS Seeker enc?

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hoenn in the 1950s

This is in the wrong place, it should be in the Writer's block.

I think the PokeNav and Vs Seeker wouldn't be there, but the Exp. Share or a prototype the the Exp. All from Gen 1 would.

^ Whoops! Sorry!

Hmm... what else? What about Pokemon Centers?
    Obviously PCs aren't around.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Moving to the Writer's Block for you.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Any other ideas?

Blog Entries

I'd think they'd have some sort of Pokémon Center around. Maybe not the same as the kind we use in the games, but something. I'd also expect there to be few motorized vehicles.

But yeah, I have a similar dilemma to you with Stainless Steel, although that takes place in 1982, rather than the '50s.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm dealing with this in Silph's Escape, which is set like 40 years before RBY.

The way I do is just try to constantly keep in mind that it is 40 years previous to the main games. It's too tiring to think about each individual but with regards to the specific things you've said:

Poke Balls - Poke Balls, yes and Great Balls maybe but they'd probably be quite new. Ultra Balls, probably not. Why? Because in RBY the Master Ball is still in prototype. This implies that it has taken a lot of development to get it to the stage where it can always catch Pokemon. This implies that adding power takes a lot of research and years, which means the Great Ball was probably invented a good many years after the original Poke Ball and an Ultra Ball quite a few years after that, with even more years before the Master Ball. Say a new level of Ball was invented every 20 years with the Master Ball being invented in '96 (approx dawn of RBY). That takes you to '76 for the Ultra and '56 for the Great.

As for custom balls, think about what would have been the most obvious for them to put time into researching first. For example, a Dive Ball makes sense since there's a lot of water in Hoenn but custom Balls that help capture Pokemon that are quite rare in Hoenn probably wouldn't have been invented.

Exp. Share - possibly, kind of depends on how you make it work. As GB said, you could have some kind of prototype instead.

The PokeNav - Definitely not. This is practically an iPhone.

the VS Seeker - Again, it depends on how you make it work. If it's just basically a glorified pager, why the hell not? If it works in a more complex way... probably they wouldn't have it...

Well, the friend that I'm working on this with, we (moreso I did) came up with a 50s equivalent to the Pokedex. It's called The Hoenn Official Guide for Pokemon Trainers which is a book about as thick as your average bible, that tell you everything you need to know about training, and tells you all about the Pokemon that's been discovered so far! (obviously, some would be left out, like Porygon, Castform enc) I'm not sure if Elgyem would get an entry or not yet. Or Deoxys. Unless they were considered new species altogether.

I wonder if TMs/HMs would exist back then?
    Last edited by Chimchar98; 16th August 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chimchar98 View Post
    Well, the friend that I'm working on this with, we (moreso I did) came up with a 50s equivalent to the Pokedex. It's called The Hoenn Official Guide for Pokemon Trainers which is a book about as thick as your average bible, that tell you everything you need to know about training, and tells you all about the Pokemon that's been discovered so far! (obviously, some would be left out, like Porygon, Castform enc) I'm not sure if Elgyem would get an entry or not yet. Or Deoxys. Unless they were considered new species altogether.

I would be concerned that in the 1950s there would probably be a greater degree of division between regions and so there would probably be a lot less info on Pokemon from outside Hoenn.

If any TMs/HMs existed, it would be a dramatically reduced number.

Blog Entries

I would be concerned that in the 1950s there would probably be a greater degree of division between regions and so there would probably be a lot less info on Pokemon from outside Hoenn.

If any TMs/HMs existed, it would be a dramatically reduced number.

Hmmm... well, CDs didn't come around really until the 90s... so, what could they put them on anyway?

Yeezy taught me The Booty Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe they had computers to use them on? Like, maybe there used to be buildings where you had to sign in and hook your Pokemon up to machines like those old giant computers in order to get them to learn the move?
    "I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death." - Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, N.Y. State of Mind

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Yeah, if they had TMs they would not be a simple disk.

I picture people using Pokemon more for things like farming and other tasks since there won't be as many machines.

Hmm... maybe!

Well, our story (well, STORIES I should say! But, this one is the only one involves Pokemon, and thusly is the only one relevant) is sort of an AU where basically the events of R/S/E (partially with a few differences here and there I suppose) happen a LOT earlier than in the original timeline (see BP on History of the Pokemon World for more info. R/S/E takes place around the same time as R/B/Y/FR/LG), and Team Aqua and Team Magma are around back then going through those events like in the games (mostly like how it is in Emerald). But, what's interesting is, our character (Harold) isn't originally from this universe! He's actually from another and was forcebly sucked into a Gate (think Chrono Trigger) into the Pokemon Universe (later called the Satoshi Universe after a certain... incident.) and ends up meeting his starter, a Treecko, on Route 101 unexpectantly when a whole swarm of 'em attack him out of nowhere!

He starts up his journey at 10 after meeting with Professor Birch (an ancestor of our Birch)and staying over the night at his house, seeing as he's alone without his family (although, in time, he starts to see the Birches and his Pokemon team as his new family) and his first caught Pokemon (well, technically second, hi Treecko being the first) is a Zigzagoon he names Skipper. He goes on your typical pokemon journey, catching pokemon for his team (a Treecko, a Zigzagoon, a Ralts, a Electrike, a Magikarp, and a Numel), beating the gym leaders one by one (the only one who is familiar is a young Wattson, the rest are all different), and heading off the Pokemon League (which is portayed like how it is in the Anime/Manga) and is given the title of Champion (having won by the skin of his teeth against his rival, Carter Birch, the Professors son)... but then... things take a turn for the worse as he's handed his trophy...

Blog Entries

Hmmm... well, CDs didn't come around really until the 90s... so, what could they put them on anyway?
    3 1/2 in. floppy disk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast