Hello!

Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

I am new to the writing side of Pokemon; once my exams are over in 33 days, I hope to spend some spare time writing some creative text about Unova. I am still pondering over a story line, but I was just wondering about some tips for the writing.

Cheers for any input guys!
    Team: Castform; Klinklang; Victini; Tornadus

Trophies

Default Re: Hello!

Always have somebody, anybody, peer-edit the story over. And always be sure to have good grammar, imagery, and if it's your style, talk figuratively.
    No.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

--Don't worry about what's currently popular--write the story YOU want to tell.
    --have a plan before you start writing, and be willing to add to, delete from, and modify that plan
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

The character's thoughts and feelings are what is going to carry your story, so worry less about plot and description and being original or cool, and focus on making your character's experiences and emotions seem real and relevant to the reader. Without that, everything else is just pretty wrapping paper without a present inside.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

The advice others have given above is really good stuff, take it to heart.

Also, read other people's stories. Pick out what they do that you enjoy reading and try to emulate it in your writing. Not to mention interacting with the community is the best way to get feedback on your story, which will help you improve! The Review Game is a good place to start.

Make good use of the General Writing Questions thread, and feel free to join us in the General Chat.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

And most of all...have fun writing!

Cheers guys!

Add Boreal on Linkedin

Spend half an hour skimming fanfiction archives. Mentally cross off every plot you see there unless you can add twists to your own version. I'm trying to do more of this in my own writing and adopt a "go big or go home" mindset, because it was the fiction with wild ideas and wild characters that inspired me most as a child.

I personally care more about plot and originality than feelings and thoughts, which I enjoy only as things that add to the plot and the originality. Nobody loves Harry Potter because J.K. Rowling's plots are mundane and her originality nonexistent, but there's tons of character perspective. If we want real, easy to relate to people doing nothing out of the ordinary in ways that are also perfectly ordinary, we can seek out other human beings instead of holing up with our laptop, some fanfiction, and a bunch of cookies.

There's a lot of hype about writing for yourself and writing for fun, but the way I see it writing is a way to communicate your ideas in a way others can understand. Those asking for advice and reader attention in the first place are pretty clearly writing only in part for themselves. Stretching your brain is always good, too, because you won't grow much from moving at a leisurely pace and doing what's easy.

Don't get carried away with size.
    Last edited by Boreal; 11th May 2013 at 08:34 PM.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Some other points:

--It's great to write what you know, but research what you don't (so you at least sound like you know what you're talking about)
    --That being said, don't be afraid to ask for help--having a second (and third, and fourth) opinion may catch things you would otherwise miss
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Thanks guys! I have a sort of story line in my head, I am still adapting it though, and it is quite hazy. I have 13 exams in the next 31 days so there is not much time for creative writing. I am usually better at writing that is graphic, like for an assessment at school, I took a scene from the film stormbreaker and adapted it (the scene with the car chase at the beginning), and it was really good (for once), but had zero dialogue. My writing is more effective without dialogue for some reason. It gives more tension.