Gladiatorial Pokémon

Thread: Gladiatorial Pokémon

He Bled into the Throne Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Gladiatorial Pokémon

For my SuBuWriMo entry, The Red Sands, I've explored the idea of an ancient Pokémon world... Specifically, one similar to the Roman Empire. In the fanfiction, a man is kidnapped and forced to fight for his freedom in a Colosseum called "The Pit", similar to that of the Roman Gladiators. In his battles, he must face feral Pokémon, who are being kept against their will. These Pokémon must be chained up, locked away, etc., due to Pokéballs not having been created, yet.

The question I've come across, however, is that of which Pokémon would be appropriate for a gladiatorial setting. I've gotten the basics down, including most canine and feline-esque Pokémon.

Which Pokémon do you think would feel... "Natural", in this situation? Obviously, there are some species that would be unable to be captured, or generally impractical.

What Pokémon could you see being used as opponents in arena matches to the death? I thank you for your input, and would love to hear any ideas.

The game is called Bridges...

Banner by Blazaking

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gladiatorial Pokémon

Machoke/Machamp, Primeape, Graveler/Golem, and most other fighting, rock and/or ground types.

Ursaring could also be good, even when it's just a normal type...

Arcanine and Luxray for the lion substitutes.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Registered Trainer Pokemon Trainer Calvin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see Pokemon like Vigoroth, Mightyena, or Luxray fitting. Perhaps even Zoroark.
    Pearl:3996-6679-5959
    SS:4040-3317-8250
    White:2924-1613-1871
    Battle Record:23-4
    My FF.net profile~*~My new anime fic!~*~My Fanclub
    I am an official member of the Official Bulbagarden Trading Whitelist.

Most quadrupedal Pokémon would feel the most fitting for the role of a "feral beast" image - in particular I'm thinking of Rhydon, Boufflant and Mamoswine, among others. Some apelike Pokémon like Darmanitan and Vigoroth would fit the bill for a more "primal" feel, as well. A more challenging opponent may be something like a dragon, say Zwelious or a Hydregion tethered to a spike in the ground to prevent escape. An interesting prospect might be a flooded arena, with the "hero" having to fight on a series of small platforms against such Pokémon as Sharpedo and Feraligatr. Just a few ideas to get you going. Good luck with SuBuWriMo!

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HAXORUS O_O

It's, like, The Gladiator (even in colour scheme). Seriously. Just, with an axe instead of a sword.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Gyarados.

Nuff said.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Ditto.

Think about it. What's more entertaining than watching someone be outsmarted (or raped) by himself?

Also, really badass, albeit not-too-über-powerful Pokemon would be good for the role, like Arbok, Gurdurr, or Krookodile.

Yeezy taught me The Booty Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but how about Nidoking and Nidoqueen? They look like the types to thrive on the brutality of a gladiator arena.
    "I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death." - Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, N.Y. State of Mind

The Monster Man Monster Dungeon's Avatar

The 'pits' would often house all sorts of creatures as one off battles etc, the Romans were pretty much happy to get their pit slaves take on anything that looked slightly dangerous.

Elephants were a big draw iirc, which suggests Donphan and Mamoswine. Lions as has been mentioned would do very well - Arcanine, Luxray and Absol. The legendary dogs would also fit in as a 'special event' type thing to celebrate a famous victory/Caeser's birthday etc.

One thing Pokemon would have the real world doesn't is Ghost Pokemon. If they had any sort of weapon that could hit ghost Pokemon that leads to night games, which would be an intriguing twist imo.

One thing that Romans liked was variety - and in Pokemon that is a huge number of creatures that look alien as hell. They would love impressive beasts brought in from other regions (see the use of various Asian creatures in the pits). So whatever region you are in look for rare Pokemon in the area and impressive looking Pokemon brought in, they would be the 'staple' of any likely Romanesque Colosseum
    A NEW Pokemon Forum with FREE EV trained Pokemon to new members and the opportunity to earn even more FREE EV trained Pokemon!

Monster Dungeon

URPG Stats