Genres?

Thread: Genres?

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Default Genres?

Genres is something that we all use as writers, a genre is in definition the types of story, each story has its own genre whether it'll be action, comedy, romance, horror or psychological.

One of the things that make a good writer is someone that is able to use different genres just as well as they would do their favorite one, for example someone that can do comedy yet at the same time can also do a tragedy story both in a really great and balanced well could be considered a good actor.

While granted managing different genres isn't exactly hard the actual problem is how many genres a person can actually handle.

So how many genres are you able to use and what genres do you normally use?

For me I normally rely on action, I'm a real action junky and I may do some comedy as well. Other than that I can also handle some romance, though not really well but I can manage and I've recently had an interest in trying out how well I can handle dark and psychological types of stories.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Genres?

I rely in high octane thrillers along with some comedy. Romance or other "emotional" genres really fail.

Some of the Poké Wars side stories let me try emotional genres.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Well . . . genres, huh? It should be plain to anybody who's peeked into any of my one-shots that I posted recently that I like making people feel sad, but that's more of a select emotion than it is a genre. Broken, I would call horror, and maybe Crushed to an extent too. New Game is a bit more general, but it still carries that overall theme of sadness and melancholy that pervades far, far too much of my work.

Champion Game, on the other hand, is far more general. It carries supernatural, sci-fi and fantasy elements, as well as a fair bit of 'my god, was he on crack when he wrote this?' - lilac oceans and upside-down houses are just the beginning. There's also a bit of action worked into it, although it's not a major focus. Still, I tend to write fairly narrowly. Outside of fanfiction, I pretty much limit myself to action/sci-fi and action/fantasy stories, although I did write a sci-fi romance novelette that I was quite proud of, though it definitely needs some more tuning . . . hmm.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well as far as the poetry genre goes, I've written a few that we're ok. And a "journey" fic is also being written, but I've failed to put a genre on it yet. My stuff seems to fair better with a darker edge. Helluva Day is going to be a very new writing experience for me.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm a sucker for fantasy--so swords and spells abound in my work. (or magical girl-esque powers if it is set in the present)

I can also do comedy (albeit relatively clean comedy) and slice of life as well
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

I enjoy writing drama the most, with romance sprinkled in if I can get away with it. But I can do comedy as well, to a limited extent, mostly relying on stupid puns, slapstick cartoon physics, fourth wall jokes, sexual innuendos, Internet memes and shout-outs to other works. Action is kind of tough for me, because describing the action doesn't seem very exciting to me—I want to actually see it.

In the case where my work is an actual video-type medium, I wouldn't be above musical sequences.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

I can hardly stick to one genre, though if I had to pick one and say it's my favorite to write, it'd be Science Fiction.

Ironically, there's very little of that in Stainless Steel.

Registered User Giovanni Sakaki's Avatar

IMO you can identify a genre to things yourself afterwards based on your personal idea of what the genre is and your personal opinion on what you just read or wrote, but that doesn't change the work itself (it exists independently of genre), and to deliberately set out to 'use' genre conventions I think is limiting yourself.
    It suddenly occurred to Domino that Team Rocket was a massive game of Telephone, using actual telephones, with real-life results that could be really damn scary (for other people, of course).
    Domino sprite in my avatar made by http://jaydeis.deviantart.com/

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I enjoy writing action, romance and "coming of age" type stuff. I'm not very good at things like comedy or really emotional things tho. I'd like to improve tho.

Coming Soon...

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, looking down at the 13 fics I have on FFN (plus two that were deleted because they wanted to purge script fics), drama seems to be my favored genre; five of them have it and a good deal of the other stories could technically be considered dramas as well. There are some comedy/friendship/romance/angst-types in the mix as well, but generally I think my best stuff comes from the drama genre. I have a tendency to focus on family elements in my stories, too.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually try and do action adventures with a cocky comedic male main character and an even more cocky female second main character, but my most recent one I tried making it more mysterious and dangerous. Even the title is darker: "Casting Shadows". The whole thing is mostly about the main character realizing that most of what he knew is either gone or will not last much longer. Its like his entire world is just suddenly collapsing. It has the basic theme of growth like most journey/adventure fics, but with the impending apocalypse that is happening the growth is more like going back to basics. Its hard to explain it, but over all by changing the genre even common themes change greatly.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My main genre is comedy, my secondary genre is romance. According to some, I do both pretty well.

Additionally, I do genre shifts from comedy and/or romance into their polar opposites, and they seem to work just fine.

My other genres tend to fall into mind screw category, regardless of what they were originally, so I guess I have no talent for them...

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Also I was thinking that maybe it'll be good to find a way to arrange stories in the workshop by the genre they use, that way if a person is looking for a certain type of story it'll be a little easier to find it, but I sort of think this would be a little difficult to do.

If I ever make a fic it would be a horror/comedy (strange mix that) with horrifying, humourous content.