ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 5

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Writing Questions

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Hey guys! I have a writing question and I figured I should pose it here rather than in the general conversational chat thread.

How obvious can a "meaningful name" be before it's too treacly? Like if I have a character who is of French descent whose main trait is she is very envious, is making her surname "Yeuxverts" too much? (French for "green eyes")

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

It depends on the character's first name and its meaning and how it sounds with the last name.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

I dunno, I know approximately one word of French, so I definitely wouldn't even be able to roll my eyes at that.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    It depends on the character's first name and its meaning and how it sounds with the last name.
    The character's first name isn't going to be particularly meaningful, just some French girls' name that I like.

I think having two meaningful names would be overkill.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

Yeah, characters in old-timey melodramas tend to have very punny names (or at least in the scripts I've read)

Blog Entries

While I think Yeuxverts isn't too awful and isn't too obvious either, it might be better to find a real french last name that is related to the trait. I know all or most of the characters in my fic have meaningful names since its such a common trend in the pokemon games, but pretty much all their names are real names. I think that is probably the key to meaningful names. Making them names that parents might realistically name their child and last names a person might realistically have. Still, like I said, I think your proposed last name is fine.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Maybe Verne? It's similar to vert, and Jules Verne was also French, so...

Blog Entries

Quick question: How far in is too early to introduce the evil team boss in a journey fic?

Blog Entries

I don't think there is a "too early", as long as you've got plenty of plot to go through afterwards. Heck, Cyrus is one of the first people you meet in Platinum.

Blog Entries

Okay--I was planning to introduce Aika, the boss of Team Elegy, during the major event in Akari City (the second major city Brock and Wendy visit)

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Small hints here and there about the identity of the boss wouldn't hurt at all, as long as they don't reveal too much. What you could do was hiding the fact the character is the boss of Team Elegy when introduced and then reveal it in a later chapter.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Never too early, in my opinion. Actually, when it comes to love interests and villains, the earlier the better, I say!

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Small hints here and there about the identity of the boss wouldn't hurt at all, as long as they don't reveal too much. What you could do was hiding the fact the character is the boss of Team Elegy when introduced and then reveal it in a later chapter.
    I did refer to the boss back when Team Elegy first appeared, actually.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Like NG said, it´s never too early to introduce a boss, actually most people tend to introduce them early or at least drop some hints of who they are and such. Other´s go through a kind of surprise twist by making the boss someone that has already appeared or someone influential.

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Posting for users benefit and discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    For over a year now, I had been working on a story similar to "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!". It will follow Blaine, who is my favourite Kanto Gym Leader, and detail his life. However, I recently cut out 20 chapters off of my plan for "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!", because I came to the realisation that the story didn't need to go any further, and the main plot was going to be resolved by §50.

Because of that, I've been thinking about Blaine's story, which will either be called "The Hotheaded Quiz Master!" or "Firestorm", leaning towards the former. Because of Blaine's age, I could easily write the multiple arcs I have planned for him. So my main question is: Should I?

The fact that "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!" had a consistent main plot with sub-plots interjecting amongst it is a format that I like, but should I follow that same format for "The Hotheaded Quiz Master!" or not? Do you have any suggestions for the story?

And my final question: I've been excited about the story, so should I start it now, or wait for the "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!" to end? They'll both be set in the same universe, and the fact that both of them are fairly long projects is deterring. All my other stories are fairly short in comparison, which is why I'm fine with starting multiple of them.
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast