ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: General Writing Questions

Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

@Cooking king; I think in this case rather than help in general writing questions, you may need a beta reader to help you go line by line with your story specifically. maybe you should post some of your work and see what people have to say about it?

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick- Or -Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scope and Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Awesomest guy ALIVE Captain_Kaos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    @Cooking king; I think in this case rather than help in general writing questions, you may need a beta reader to help you go line by line with your story specifically. maybe you should post some of your work and see what people have to say about it?
    Yea I am just working on the end of the first chapter then i might get someone to take a look at it, hopefully it turns out well and i got tons of free time over the weekend

Click these eggs, if you don't want them to die

Default Commanded - Ordered and others

One problem that I have with writing my fanfic is different words for commanded or ordered.
    For example.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!" Free commanded.
    I always find myself going back and forth between commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, etc.
    Do any of you have any suggestions on different ways to do this? Different ways that they can give orders.
    Sometimes, if it is a long battle, I'll just leave the sentence without writing who said it.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!"
    And while this is effective, it doesn't seem to always work.
    I just feel so bland when I do commanded or ordered so much.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Commanded - Ordered and others

Quote Originally Posted by FreeXax View Post
    One problem that I have with writing my fanfic is different words for commanded or ordered.
    For example.
    I always find myself going back and forth between commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, etc.
    Do any of you have any suggestions on different ways to do this? Different ways that they can give orders.
    Sometimes, if it is a long battle, I'll just leave the sentence without writing who said it.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!"
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, it sounds like you've got enough variation as it is with commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, and whatnot. There are only so many ways to say the same thing, it's getting your point across that matters. There should be enough space between commands what with describing the battle that I'd be surprised if the reader noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    For example.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!"
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, it sounds like you've got enough variation as it is with commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, and whatnot. There are only so many ways to say the same thing, it's getting your point across that matters. There should be enough space between commands what with describing the battle that I'd be surprised if the reader noticed.
    I see what you're saying. But after writing a full 6-on-6 battle, you start to notice how repetitive it is. I just want new ways to do it.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

In that case, you could also use "responded" when the trainer is ordering some kind of counter or dodge. I usually stick to your second method, where you skip the speech tags completely. It's usually fairly obvious who's ordering what. If it really becomes a problem, try writing your description in such a way that less emphasis is put on the trainers' orders. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you see what I mean.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see what you're saying. But after writing a full 6-on-6 battle, you start to notice how repetitive it is. I just want new ways to do it.
    Often what I do is simply omit the commands altogether. Let the Pokémon battle by themselves, and have the trainer commands be implied.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

For example.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!"
    How about switching perspectives to the pokémon instead and let the commands fall into the background?
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

A somewhat spoilery question for "Pokemon: The Song of Jewels", so I'm putting it in spoiler tags:

My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    For example.
    "Wooper, use Water Gun!"
    How about switching perspectives to the pokémon instead and let the commands fall into the background?
    I would do that, if I did first person. I'm always doing third person, so it is more of an overworld look.

Blog Entries

What are some good Pokemon for a music/sound based evil team to use? I've already thought of the Whismur line, since I have mentioned this team (Team Elegy) using a Loudred in one of my drafts

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    What are some good Pokemon for a music/sound based evil team to use? I've already thought of the Whismur line, since I have mentioned this team (Team Elegy) using a Loudred in one of my drafts
    Chatot? Jigglypuff? Chimecho? Kircketune? Seismitoad? Ludicolo? Roggenrola?

- The epic banner is work of the great Red -

Blog Entries

Chimecho and the Roggenrola line would work...maybe Kricketune

Blog Entries

Zubat line? (Echolocation, bats use screeches to see.) Vibrava/Flygon (Known for it's wings making a "singing" sound.) Lapras (also known for singing). Bronzong (it's a bell).

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick- Or -Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scope and Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Zubat line works, Flygon a little later, and Bronzong possibly during the final confrontation with the team boss

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast