ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Writing Questions

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

By clip show, I mean a group of flashbacks to events in the past, that usually, but not always, have some kind of theme.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So when is it too early for a clip show, you ask? If it was a journey fic, I'd say it's way too early after the main character has won his or her first badge, contest or something similar. Maybe around the fourth badge would be more appropriate. The best moment to have a clip show, in my opinion, would be where a character reflects back on everything that has happened so far as part of a character development.

Now, I had an idea of a supporting character of the fic I'm currently writing, and I would like to hear your opinion. You see, he's a Pokémon trainer but he's also a poker player and as such, I got the idea of implementing his battle style from the said poker, bluffing and perceiving his opponent throughout the battle, both the human opponent and the Pokémon. I'm not certain if he should say some poker terms during battles like "Go all in with Hyper Beam!", or "Check with Protect", as it sounds a bit too cheesy to me.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

@LightningTopaz; Never too early, I had a flash back in my very first chapter in my own fic and people seemed to like it. Though I do think that we should have a firm grasp of what the character is like in the present before we do any kind of flash back. Flashbacks are more 'supplementary' or 'informative' so they shouldn't do the work for you in terms of describing the character's personality and such to the audience. So if you think what you've written so far gives us a good picture of who the character is, then sure, flashback away.
    @Tophat Dragoneye; Awesome idea. And dude, it's pokemon, I would be disappointing if he didn't use cheesy phrases like that! I say go for it. You can always lampshade the fact by having someone else point out how ridiculous he sounds doing that.
    Tophat Dragoneye likes this.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Another question: I'm a bit stuck with the plotline with the current episode of "Pokemon: The Song of Jewels"--I established in the last episode that Wendy's Vaporeon Mizuchi is afraid of Brock's Sandshrew, Terra. (after a noodle incident involving a Sandslash) That said, I want this episode to be the one where Mizuchi has to rescue Terra or save Terra from something as a sign that she is beginning to tolerate Terra (after a few controlled meetings that go very well) In my notes, I do the classic Beedrill swarm, but I'm wondering what other types of hairy situations Terra could get into that Mizuchi could save her from.

Blog Entries

Getting washed down a river seems like a good situation to me. Ground pokemon probably don't know how to swim, and a Vaporeon, as a water type, would be ideal to save it. I think this has the advantage of not making the Sandshrew look weak, since its perfectly reasonable that a sandshrew couldn't swim but be otherwise good at battling.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

I like that idea--maybe while running from the Beedrills she falls in a river

Blog Entries

Maybe this is a weird question, but what sound should a Beedrill make? (Coincidentally, a beedrill appears in my next chapter as well, LT, though there's no attacking Beedrill storm, its being used in a battle.) I can't remember what sound it made in the anime and for some reason I can't imagine a Beedril making a straight "Beedrill~!" sound. O_O What do you guys think it should say?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    Maybe this is a weird question, but what sound should a Beedrill make? (Coincidentally, a beedrill appears in my next chapter as well, LT, though there's no attacking Beedrill storm, its being used in a battle.) I can't remember what sound it made in the anime and for some reason I can't imagine a Beedril making a straight "Beedrill~!" sound. O_O What do you guys think it should say?
    I imagine it would buzz. I agree, it would be odd if Beedrill was one of those "say your name" Pokemon.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Beedrill buzz in the anime. It's one of those Pokemon that don't say their name. It makes sense though, not like a screaming plant.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Good to know, thanks guys. I think I'll just go with the generic Bzz! as suggested.

Awesomest guy ALIVE Captain_Kaos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default I need advice

Right now i have already got some advice but I want a whole lot of advice, so can anyone give me some advice to writing a fanfic cause mine sucks at the moment

Click these eggs, if you don't want them to die

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I need advice

I can give a hand if you want? What exactly do you think you are struggling with?

Awesomest guy ALIVE Captain_Kaos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by some colour no doubt View Post
    I can give a hand if you want? What exactly do you think you are struggling with?
    Yea i can use a hand, i am struggling with making my story flow like it dont make sense

Click these eggs, if you don't want them to die

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could you be more specific, like give me an example of where you think you're going wrong?

Ms. Canadian Destroyer Caite-chan's Avatar
    Follow Caite-chan On Twitter

It might be helpful if you write out ideas of what you want to do for a few Chapters. Try keeping a notebook and write ideas down that come to you through out the day. Don't forget to read, reread and reread even more. You might think they suck but that's okay. Right now I'm working on Version 3 of one of my stories and going back and reading Version 1 of the same story yeah I was like damn what the hell was I thinking. But I learned to just slow down and not jump around when I write.
    Fan Fic: Loving Hope
    Chapter 8 - Posted // Chapter 9 - Needs To Be Posted
    3DS Friends Code: 0834-1774-6902

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast