ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 15
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: General Writing Questions

Less cute in person Beth Pavell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

I have totally been using that since 2010. Way to steal ideas from your fans, Game Freak! D:<
    I'm using qualifying matches with Gym Trainers for the same purpose in The Long Walk. You wait, it'll turn up in a special episode one day xD

Follow -Polaris- on Tumblr

Default Is This A Good Idea?

I was just thinking. How about a rewrite of a game, from the Rival's point of view.

e.g: Gen 1: Gary/Blue
    Gen 2: Silver or in some cases, eusine
    Gen 3: May/Brendan
    Etc.

So is this a good idea? I for one would not write this kinda fic, but I reckon its a good idea for some other people!

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Is This A Good Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by RageRunnerXD View Post
    I was just thinking. How about a rewrite of a game, from the Rival's point of view.

Etc.

So is this a good idea? I for one would not write this kinda fic, but I reckon its a good idea for some other people!
    The Gen I one has been done: Rival's Story (and quite well)

That's no reason not to do more, though.

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've recently been working a lot with pokemon's ability to affect the terrain. The two types I'm dealing with right now in a large amount are grass/poison and fire/dragon as the main character has a shroomish and charmander ((yeah FF breaks all the rules!)) and some ground and rock types since he's just gotten to a mountain range. anyway just over all I want to start taking advantage of their powers to affect the world. Its a medieval setting, so pokemon are both beasts of burden and destroyers of cities. How might it be best to show this in both bit and small scale.

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Selemena View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Selemena View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TPrower View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this kind of message, but I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.
    Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! <Snipped>
    Could you maybe put the X and Y stuff behind spoiler tags? No attack intended, it's just that the game was only released very recently so many people are trying to avoid spoilers for plot-related content and gyms.
    I would, but like . . . for actual spoilers.
    Except you give away who Lumiose's Gym Leader is and his team's type, so...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is This A Good Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRunnerXD View Post

Etc.

The Gen I one has been done: Rival's Story (and quite well)

That's no reason not to do more, though.
    Barry's the only one I don't know for sure DOES have one. Well, actually Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, and now Serena (or Calem) don't have one either.

Rollin into fandoms woops Quacks the Automaton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Quacks the Automaton on Tumblr

Ooookay so yeah, because it's something I noticed more than once with my writing is that it lacks emotion or feelings more time than not. Would there be any tips on how to improve emotion in writing? Also, fight scenes? I feel that this help might come in handy for NaNoWriMo.
    Please and thank you in advance c:
    Last edited by Quacks the Automaton; 4th November 2013 at 09:54 AM.

→ ▫ ←
    "Hello, RABBITS" --EverymanHybrid--

Moose Doodles-"Come in for free eye band-aids today!"

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boondockArtist View Post
    Ooookay so yeah, because it's something I noticed more than once with my writing is that it lacks emotion or feelings more time than not. Would there be any tips on how to improve emotion in writing? Also, fight scenes? I feel that this help might come in handy for NaNoWriMo.
    Please and thank you in advance c:
    I wrote a decently-long lesson on dialogue a while back that covered a bit on how to write emotion, but the best general advice I can give you is to really think about what happens to people when they are experiencing different emotions. How does an angry person look and sound? A sad person? Now, how do those emotions affect what they say in the context of the scene? Happy people don't whimper or stammer, sad people aren't explosively honest, and angry people aren't reserved or inclined to hold anything back. If you're stuck, try reading your dialogue aloud - if it sounds wrong, it usually is.

If you want more specific help with your particular story, my inbox is always open.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

This isn't a question about writing technique as much as it is about a pokémon detail (for fic purposes). I hope it's allowed here, if not, let me know and I'll delete my post.

Are there any grass-type pokémon that could conceivably grow in caves or other dimly-lit places?

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hex Maniac View Post
    This isn't a question about writing technique as much as it is about a pokémon detail (for fic purposes). I hope it's allowed here, if not, let me know and I'll delete my post.

Are there any grass-type pokémon that could conceivably grow in caves or other dimly-lit places?
    Yes, this kind of question is exactly what this thread is for.

To start, lots of grass-types that can move obviously wouldn't have to stay in one place so they could conceivably exist in low-light habitats. Other than that, I'd look at lichen or fungus based Pokemon like the Foongus and Paras lines.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Ferroseed/Ferrothorn might be another option.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex Maniac View Post

Yes, this kind of question is exactly what this thread is for.

To start, lots of grass-types that can move obviously wouldn't have to stay in one place so they could conceivably exist in low-light habitats. Other than that, I'd look at lichen or fungus based Pokemon like the Foongus and Paras lines.
    Thanks.

The thing about pokemon moving is a good point of course, but there's a reason why they're in a cave-like place. They're with their trainers, who are staying there for a long time. They would take their pokemon when foraging outside and they could even take them to sit outdoors for a whole day from time to time but I don't know if that would be enough.

Lichen or fungus makes sense, thank you! Paras is exactly one of the pokemon I was looking for, it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Ferroseed/Ferrothorn might be another option.
    Thank you! I love that idea and it would make sense for one of the characters to have a Ferrothorn.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

What are some ways to have a Pokemon evolve without battling without it sounding forced or contrived? (a Fennekin evolving to Braxien, in my case)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Registered User harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    What are some ways to have a Pokemon evolve without battling without it sounding forced or contrived? (a Fennekin evolving to Braxien, in my case)
    If you can show it's ready I think it can be pulled off in any situation. Even potentially when it's at its most happiest, for example they could have done a training session and had a good work out, really bonded with their trainer or friends around it, had a great time just playing and reaching its most happiest evolve from that place by starting to glow white/or whatever colour of choice etc. and go from there.

That was just a quick off the top of my head but I do think in any situation as long as you can show why it is or how it's occurred, for example it being ready to evolve, then the evolution should be fine : D
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    My take on this is that Pokémon evolve when it feels right for them to do so. It can be because of battling or it can be because of several experiences or even a single event that is significant for them. It's kinda like how people grow up. So your Fennekin could evolve after spending some time with the trainer and sort of "growing up" or because of a remarkable event.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast