ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 14
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: General Writing Questions

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

What are some ideas for developing the leader of an evil team?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Lost Time Memory Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Motive. Past. Personality and how they manage their team.

The leader of an evil team will be the antagonist in most cases, the final one, as such a lot of work has to be put into it. Because of this the character is very important which means you have to give him a good motive behind why he does what he does and a personality and past that follow that motive. A lot of people tend to go for the big mastermind type of character, really sinister and all, that seems kind of cliche but it's a classic at the same time.

Anyways some ideas for developing him or her would be to kind of show more sides of the character, everyone has a good and a bad side so maybe showing more of his good sides and showing a bit more of his origins can help.

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Expanding on what Flaze just said, the team leader's Pokemon can also provide a valuable insight into just what kind of person they are. For example, both the Magma/Aqua leaders and Cyrus had a Crobat, which could possibly be interpreted as them not being totally bad (remember, Crobat evolves by happiness).

On the flip side, Ghetsis' Hydreigon has frustration at full strength, which implies that Ghetsis doesn't treat his Pokemon very well (as a massive understatement).

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd agree highly with Juicebox. In pokemon your team shows a lot about you. In my current Fic I'm using the broad ideas of a fighter, rogue, and warden class from DnD to set up my main characters.

The fighter has a charmander with some nasty attack moves to start off. The rogue has an oshawott which reflects both her exotic weapons choice and acts as a speedy hard hitter it also has infiltrator as an ability so it can ignore some shields. The warden ((who id you do not know anything about DnD is a tanky class who can be a more supportive class if needed)) has a turtwig which acts as a real tank in battles and has magic guard to ignore any damage other than direct attacks. You may not break cannon so much, but the point is there.

Those three are just noobs with one pokemon, so you can have your evil leader with a lot more pokemon and a lot more meaning.

I also recommend that you keep his reasons for starting the team, or why he leads it now if he didn't, interesting. Rocket just wanted money and power, Magma and Aqua were on a confused crusade, galactic was being misled by cyrus so he could have the universe to himself, Plasma was a cover up to make everyone give up their pokemon so Plasma could take over the region. Those plots have improved, but they all share in some misdirection except for Rocket, but are really led by selfish bastards except for Magma and Aqua. If you have a solid reason already good, but give this guy some reasons to want what he's trying to achieve. I never got why Magma and Aqua thought more land or water would help.

I'll have you know That I've become Indestructible
    Determination that is incorruptible From the other side, a terror to behold
    Annihilation will be unavoidable Every broken enemy will know
    That their opponent had to be invincible Take a last look around while you're alive
    I'm an indestructible
    Master of war

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Well, Elegy is a bit similar to Galactic in some respects (they want to unleash Giratina to tear the world apart), but why my leader (who is a she) wants to do this I'm not revealing just yet (Brock and the girls will start piecing that together when they begin looking for the second Gem of Song)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/b/bf/Marnie_and_Paige.png/220px-Marnie_and_Paige.png

I'm beginning to regret trying to write about a Joy, but what the hell, I've started now. What on earth would you call the front of the Joy hairstyle? It's not a fringe, surely? And what about the absurd anime-loops?

ANY help would be much appreciated on this, 'cause I'm stumped

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pavell View Post
    http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/b/bf/Marnie_and_Paige.png/220px-Marnie_and_Paige.png

I'm beginning to regret trying to write about a Joy, but what the hell, I've started now. What on earth would you call the front of the Joy hairstyle? It's not a fringe, surely? And what about the absurd anime-loops?

ANY help would be much appreciated on this, 'cause I'm stumped
    Curly hair on her forehead, for example?
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.

Y Rotation Team

Lost Time Memory Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

It doesn't have to have an airport of anything, you can give it one if it doesn't.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TPrower View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this kind of message, but I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.
    Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! According to Pokemon Origins, Gym Leaders choose their Pokemon teams based on how many badges the challenger has, which explains why somebody strong enough to be a Gym Leader in Pewter faces you with only a Geodude and Onix. If you were concerned about beginning in Lumiose City, you could have Clemont as the first Gym Leader with a low-level team like Pikachu and Emolga, then adjust the other Leaders appropriately. Just because Serena starts her journey in Vaniville Town doesn't mean your trainer has to!
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Quote Originally Posted by Selemena View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this kind of message, but I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.
    Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! <Snipped>
    Could you maybe put the X and Y stuff behind spoiler tags? No attack intended, it's just that the game was only released very recently so many people are trying to avoid spoilers for plot-related content and gyms.

I agree though, it would make no sense for trainers to all have to travel to wherever the player starts in most games. The player character starts there because they live there, not because they travelled there on purpose. It seems like travelling in the Pokémon world is an experience of itself so it wouldn't make sense for someone from the other side of the region to travel all the way there to start their adventure. If they did they'd have more experience than someone from the area, and in the games we'd get some indication that the starter town attracts many new trainers, like a bus terminal or something.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! <Snipped>
    Could you maybe put the X and Y stuff behind spoiler tags? No attack intended, it's just that the game was only released very recently so many people are trying to avoid spoilers for plot-related content and gyms.
    I would, but like . . . for actual spoilers.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! According to Pokemon Origins, Gym Leaders choose their Pokemon teams based on how many badges the challenger has, which explains why somebody strong enough to be a Gym Leader in Pewter faces you with only a Geodude and Onix. If you were concerned about beginning in Lumiose City, you could have Clemont as the first Gym Leader with a low-level team like Pikachu and Emolga, then adjust the other Leaders appropriately. Just because Serena starts her journey in Vaniville Town doesn't mean your trainer has to!
    That...makes perfect sense, actually. I haven't seen Origins yet, but I like the sound of that idea. Since Kalos is already an amalgamation of all Gens of Pokemon, I shouldn't be too concerned about sticking to only Gen 6 Pokemon. Thanks! =)

Y Rotation Team

Blog Entries

I have totally been using that since 2010. Way to steal ideas from your fans, Game Freak! D:<

That Zoroark is a Spy! Silver06's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Silver06's Youtube Channel

Question Theme-Naming Question.

So, I have a Fic I'm doing and I'm coming up with villains, and the idea I have is a team, similar to Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts, that goes around stealing Starters and any pokemon related to mega evolution in order to drain their energies, and each notable member uses a specific type, and their names reflect this. I came up with a few, but one I'm stuck on is the Dragon-user. I decided I would name him after the Japanese dragon Yamata No Orochi, but I'm having trouble on whether to use Yamata, Yamato or Yomoto as his first name... I know his last name will be Orocho, but that's it. Could you guys help me, I really want to use this name, but I'm worried I'll piss someone off if I don't use the correct pronunciation...

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast