ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 13

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Writing Questions

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

Now I'm starting to see a pattern, and Yeah the pokemon they fight at the start are as newbie as they are. Its like how any pokemon game starts. Level two rattatas. By the time they deal with real threatening pokemon they'll be good and trained.

Also with the whole fighting thing. This is fiction they are gonna be badass like anime.

As with the spell castor its cannon that there are only two in the region. Mages are so overpowered in this realm that there is only one per kingdom. The other one is the main villain.

The weapons are going to be fine. Enchant them to be really strong and made of really strong metals and tada its my cannon that they work. This is the same reason mages are so few IT EVERYTHING. Its broken at points. Its a point of the story. Right at the start Sage Elderwood freeze time after creating a transdimensional portal to get the heroes there. Magic can do anything I need it to. Its like the force.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Okay, if you're gonna get so defensive about this, then I have another question. If this Sage Elderwood is powerful enough to freeze time, then why does he need to send inexperienced fighters out into the world to do...whatever it is that needs to be done?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

The other wizard Daelis cast a spell using the kings royal blood that gives him supreme rule over magic in the kingdom, well casting magic. Elderwood lives at the very edge of the kingdom so he had enough time to summon the heroes . The reason he needs them the curse can't be broken by anyone from that realm. The three heroes people from our world.

And I don't mean to be snappy, but it just felt like over analysis of a simple point.

Blog Entries

You're the one who asked a question. I took that to mean you were looking for help, and how is anyone supposed to give you advice if they don't ask about it and figure out how it's supposed to work? Besides, if people are seeing all these holes in your logic here, isn't it better that they're pointed out to you so that you can fill them in before you start writing than have your story suffer for it by all your readers seeing it and getting confused and/or irritated in the comments? Writing is all about feedback, and while not all feedback is going to tell you that you're wonderful and amazing, it's still important to hear if it's not directly hateful. If you're gonna handwave away any logic anyone tries to apply to answering your question, then you might as well have not asked it at all.

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I know, but my issues were more how would I have to kill a pokemon with a weapon? How hard are a charmanders scales? Would an arrow do anything to a tangla? Its more how to mix them nicely than the science of combat. The heroes even have pokemon. I'm going with the Kanto starters currently, but may change it to fit the characters more.

I am thankful for constructive criticism even when i dont seem it. I'm just not used to having people give a damn.

Blog Entries

That depends on the situation and the pokemon. If you're gonna handwave away your enchanted sword's ability to slice through stone and metal I'm sure scales won't be a problem. But no, arrows probably wouldn't do much to a Tangela unless you hit it in the eye or something.

All I'm saying is, don't get mad at people's responses when you're the one who asked for them.

Blog Entries

Please don't beat me over the head with that I've already apologized twice.

So then may I add which would be better to go on, the skill of the pokemon, their defenses, or what I believe they should have as defenses? Personally I think some pokemon are given too low of defense, btu would that just make people confused as they don't expect that pokemon to be very stong, ro world having pokemon dodge a lot more or parry or things like that be best?

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    You say you're using basic D&D concepts to build the characters. Why, then, does your barbarian not have a warhammer if your other two party members are a rogue and a multiclassed fighter/ranger?
    Because blunt weapons suck in D&D

But actually, I'd take a lot of inspiration from D&D rules. Certain types of attacks would just be less effective against different Pokemon. In the case of rock types, I think it would be really cool if they were kind of the bane of your main characters because they don't have any blunt weapons. It'd take a little more effort to come up with an imaginative way of defeating a rock or steel type every time one showed up, but it would be worth it.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

((I agree on the whole blunt weapons thing in D&D.))

I guess the point of a challenge is valid, but it would probably lead to more pokemon battling than human combat. Something I want little of. I want either both or neither fighting really.

OH and another bit of cannon when fairies come out in the RP I'm referring to them as Arcane.

Also there is a large amount of an RPG theme to it. Its based on dungeon runs and loot, and things youd see in an RPG.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Just be very careful not to make it sound like it walked out of a console RPG (or even a tabletop RPG)--details are key. At the same time, don't drag them out any longer than they should be

Here's something I like to do when scripting battles: I decide how long the battle is going to be (taking into account the opponent, the heroes' skill level, any advantages and/or disadvantages and where the battle is taking place) I then assign every participant in the battle a code, then put all the codes into a choice maker and have it choose who attacks when, with one click of the button equaling one turn. Depending one what code comes up, I adjust the scene accordingly
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 26th August 2013 at 09:21 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Its a lot more of hey we could do this or that, and maybe we'll come back later, and not the sort of we have one job and thats all we do. Its exploration and adventure in this new world. Also I like having special items. things that means something, and also here they work well since casting magic ((large spell cast by wizards)) are stopped. Aplicative magic ((enchantments and sudden magical enhancements)) are still ok.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

How do incantations work? Do magic words (or songs) exist, or are they cast in a completely different way?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

That'd be casting magic. Its based on skill, and size. The better you are the less you have to do, but bigger the more, so it balances out. Sage elderwood merely thinks it. Daelis has minor hand gestures. A noob would have implements and books of spells and more guff.

Applicative magic is simpler if its just imbuing a small power on ones self. you can just do it, but more people its harder. Enchanting items requires materials with strong links to the enchantment. Fire stone = flaming sword.

When you have an idea for a story (original or fanfic) and it uses original characters, do you jump the shark and get right into the story without having fleshed the characters out for yourself? If you do, do you realize a few chapters in and rewrite what you've written by discovering the characters privately, then introducing them on paper, and then getting to the meat of the story? Or am I the only one who does this?

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I wouldn't say you're the only one. A lot of people tend to just jump into the action because, let's face it, that's what we're writing about. It's imperative for you to flesh out your characters as well though, this doesn't mean you have to do it at the start though, just start off with their basic personalities and such and you can flesh them out while the story goes if you want. This way you can put focus on the action and the characters at the same time without having to lower the bar for either.
    @Dread Advocate;

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast