ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 12

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 292
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Writing Questions

  1. #166
    Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    following my compass
    Posts
    10,307
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Weapons VS Pokemon

    I'm currently revisiting my old favorite setting for pokemon fanfics, Medieval times. But I've come into the issue of weapons being used on pokemon. I want the creatures to be a bit more mystical and not captured often. Sometimes they are even killed because they are still monsters and attack humans. I'm not sure how to balance weapons though.

    I was thinking use defense and special defense as basis for hard hard the weapons hit, but then only magic would be special and Mages are VERY rare. There's only two in the entire kingdom. Then I thought bows, but still those are jsut ranged physical attacks.

    I will break this down. The three main characters: Jason, Elizibeth, and Tyler use different weapons. Jason uses a Greatsword and a Long Bow. Elizibeth has knives and a kasurigama, yes odd weapon for medieval, but i got an excuse. Tyler uses dual axes and claws.

    I sort of also used DnD to help with classes to determine how they fight. Jason is a Ranger, but with the melee skill of a fighter, Elizibeth is a rogue, and Tyler is a beserker/barbarian ((I say beserker because he doesn't hit as hard as he does fast.))

  2. #167
    Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pokemon Stadium
    Posts
    5,592
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: How to realistically turn a bad guy good

    I have seen Avatar--awesome show.

    The reason why my character wants to change (without giving too much of the next two episodes away) is because she has seen the evil team for what they really are--and they're not what she believes a leader should be
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

    SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

  3. #168
    Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pokemon Stadium
    Posts
    5,592
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Keep the Pokemon in mind as you script the fight--arrows won't even touch a rock type, and even a sword will have trouble against a Roggenrola, for example.

    Also keep in mind your characters' skill levels with their weapons (and spells, if any)--this will affect the fight too
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

    SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

  4. #169
    Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    following my compass
    Posts
    10,307
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    Keep the Pokemon in mind as you script the fight--arrows won't even touch a rock type, and even a sword will have trouble against a Roggenrola, for example.

    Also keep in mind your characters' skill levels with their weapons (and spells, if any)--this will affect the fight too
    But then that leaves Rock types as an almighty which they should not be. I guess perhaps I'll need something to nerf their armor.

  5. #170
    Wordsmith Pavell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    607
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to realistically turn a bad guy good

    In which case, you might find it fun to have your turncoat use the same methods as her former Team even though her allegiance has changed. Old habits die hard ...

  6. #171
    Wordsmith Pavell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    607
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Hold on, a greatsword and a longbow? As a keen archer, I can tell you, longbows are unwieldy. You can't just sling a 5-6' bow on your back like in video games - it'll drag in the dirt behind you and the string catches on everything. I never shoot longbow in the woods for just that reason

  7. #172
    Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    following my compass
    Posts
    10,307
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    That has an excuse don't worry. After all with one of the two mages being the one who made the weapons you should expect magic. Originally it was just storage: the bow shrinks to a bracelet, the sword goes down to short sword, the kasurigama make a necklace, Tyler carries his axes, but the claws turn to gloves, and they help the three main characters use them. They have enchantments that basically make them act as tutors for the user

    I may have to add magical damage though to deal with rock types and armored foes. Steel will be a pain.

  8. #173
    .______. Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    All I do is work.
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: How to realistically turn a bad guy good

    Most of what I think should go has already been said, haha, but be sure to think about the reactions of your good guys, as well. No matter how genuine your heel-face turn is, your heroes really shouldn't buy it straight off the bat. For bonus points, they can buy it never. XD

    Anyways, yeah, make sure that the betrayal itself still fits within your character's motives and you should be good to go. That was totally not a vague statement.

  9. #174
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    I may have to add magical damage though to deal with rock types and armored foes. Steel will be a pain.
    I think warhammers should deal with both of those quite easily. I'd almost say fire types are your biggest problem. You can't exactly get up close and personal with them, and unless you catch them off guard arrows are just going to burn up.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  10. #175
    Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    following my compass
    Posts
    10,307
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    I may have to add magical damage though to deal with rock types and armored foes. Steel will be a pain.
    I think warhammers should deal with both of those quite easily. I'd almost say fire types are your biggest problem. You can't exactly get up close and personal with them, and unless you catch them off guard arrows are just going to burn up.

    But no one uses Warhammers. The three heroes are the only heroes I'm using. Also tempered steel weapons will do just fine against the fire types, as for fighting them fire types may have fire on them but few are hot on the outside always. Even then its a matter of get in hit retreat.

  11. #176
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    I may have to add magical damage though to deal with rock types and armored foes. Steel will be a pain.
    I think warhammers should deal with both of those quite easily. I'd almost say fire types are your biggest problem. You can't exactly get up close and personal with them, and unless you catch them off guard arrows are just going to burn up.

    But no one uses Warhammers. The three heroes are the only heroes I'm using. Also tempered steel weapons will do just fine against the fire types, as for fighting them fire types may have fire on them but few are hot on the outside always. Even then its a matter of get in hit retreat.
    I'm not talking about them being hot on the outside, though almost every single fire type has an external source of fire that is a very definite hazard to anyone fighting them. I'm talking about how getting in close to a fire type will make it very easy for them to blast you with a fireball. It's not your sword you have to worry about when fighting one - it's how well you can withstand getting flash roasted.

    You say you're using basic D&D concepts to build the characters. Why, then, does your barbarian not have a warhammer if your other two party members are a rogue and a multiclassed fighter/ranger? Neither of them are good with heavy weaponry, and if you're not gonna have a dedicated mage, you'll NEED heavy weaponry to get past Rock- and Steel- types. Isn't bringing along a spellcaster a lot more convenient than getting magical weapons and hoping that they're effective on the next enemy they meet? After all, a sword that deals acid damage isn't going to be any use against a Poison- or Steel-type.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  12. #177
    .______. Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    All I do is work.
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: General Writing Questions

    /got confused because the last two or three threads kersploded and vanished, and then they were all here. Whoops!

    Concerning medieval pokemon, though, I can imagine problems fighting pokemon that use any sort of ranged attacks--it'd be sort of like running up to a guy who can shoot plasma canons from his arms while you've got a sword. It'd be pretty badass to write in general, I think, but you'd have to suspend a good deal of disbelief to begin with. A pokemon could probably just be like "lol [insert ranged move here]* to pick off your characters from, like, forty feet away.

    As for fire types in particular, fire is hot. Really hot. Dunno if your guys are wearing armor or not (because that'll just make it hotter and them slower). And on an average day, heat dissipation is pretty miserable in normal air. So, like, when you can't approach a campfire because the hairs on your arm begin to singe, you probably can't just dodge out of a fire attack in an ordinate amount of time to avoid getting singed.

    ...who am I kidding. It's pokemon. You can fudge it however you want. XD

  13. #178
    Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    following my compass
    Posts
    10,307
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: Weapons VS Pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    I may have to add magical damage though to deal with rock types and armored foes. Steel will be a pain.
    I think warhammers should deal with both of those quite easily. I'd almost say fire types are your biggest problem. You can't exactly get up close and personal with them, and unless you catch them off guard arrows are just going to burn up.

    But no one uses Warhammers. The three heroes are the only heroes I'm using. Also tempered steel weapons will do just fine against the fire types, as for fighting them fire types may have fire on them but few are hot on the outside always. Even then its a matter of get in hit retreat.
    I'm not talking about them being hot on the outside, though almost every single fire type has an external source of fire that is a very definite hazard to anyone fighting them. I'm talking about how getting in close to a fire type will make it very easy for them to blast you with a fireball. It's not your sword you have to worry about when fighting one - it's how well you can withstand getting flash roasted.

    You say you're using basic D&D concepts to build the characters. Why, then, does your barbarian not have a warhammer if your other two party members are a rogue and a multiclassed fighter/ranger? Neither of them are good with heavy weaponry, and if you're not gonna have a dedicated mage, you'll NEED heavy weaponry to get past Rock- and Steel- types. Isn't bringing along a spellcaster a lot more convenient than getting magical weapons and hoping that they're effective on the next enemy they meet? After all, a sword that deals acid damage isn't going to be any use against a Poison- or Steel-type.
    Personally as someone who makes a lot of camp fires I can stand right over one no problem for about half an hour. Also dodging attacks is dodging attacks. Personally I write pokemon as using special attacks as slow charge up and fire. So even ember would be,

    The magby took a deep breath a fire beginning to burn in his mouth. I dove away before he spewed the flames at where I was.

    I said berseker. He's based on the rage style of fighting. That he just mauls your face. He isn't the big heavy hitter. Also Great sword is classified as heavy weaponry. Also i picked the classes based on weapons. They don't have an actual class. It also to help think of their skill sets. who's fast, who's clever, etc.

    As with the enchantments I as thinking more It can slice stone PERIOD Just enchant the weapons to be very strong when they hit. You still need skill to hit, but ya know.

    As for what Elysia said ((yes I now realize this is a merged thread thing)), ranged attacks are slow and require aiming and charging, like using a bow would.

    All the characters have lighter types of armor. Tyler has specifically enchanted chainmail which makes it move like cloth until he needs it like metal ((cause well he has no range and has to endure a lot of hits)) Again I deal with fire just fine, and I don't believe any pokemon sustains enough heat outside to make it inhospitable.

    These characters are newbies yes, but they are heroes and getting trained by Sage Elderwood ((classic pokemon joke. Guy who gives pokemon named after tree)). I do believe that dodging is a thing, and blocking is a thing.

  14. #179
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: General Writing Questions

    ...Barbarians run off of rage powers. That's their entire advantage over regular fighters. Berserkers are I think a sub-class of barbarians, but they're certainly not a core class in their own right.

    Even if attacks take time to charge, it's still going to be really difficult to dodge them - especially if whatever you're fighting has flaming extremities that you also have to dodge. I don't care how tolerant of heat you happen to be, but your characters are not you. They are not going to appreciate getting smacked in the face with a flaming tail as they try and dramatically dive out of the way of an attack from the mouth. And again, wouldn't just bringing along a spellcaster be more efficient than enchanting your weapons and praying that they're strong enough to harm whatever you fight next? I mean, swords are already pretty crappy at cutting through rocks, and greatswords crush more than cut. Even a magically enchanted greatsword is gonna get pretty beat up smashing rocks on a regular basis.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  15. #180
    .______. Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    All I do is work.
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: General Writing Questions

    I'm sort of in Feliciano's camp with the whole dodging fire, haha.

    Perhaps instead of vamping up your human characters, you could devamp your pokemon enemies? Maybe they can only roast so many men at once, and they tire easily, or they can only use five fire-based attacks before they get tired?

    Like. Fighting people with weapons is hard. If you've watched or played fencing or taekwondo or judo or something, fighting is hard. It's gross. It's sweaty. It's not half as graceful as any book or anime will ever portray it. Most people can't fight for more than, like, five minutes, and that's pushing it. And that's just fighting people, not the fire-breathing/rock-hurling/water-bending monster while you have a pointy stick.

    ...so yeah. I'd suggest making up a canon way of either nerfing the pokemon or powering up the people?

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •