ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 11

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Writing Questions

Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky the forth. View Post
    I agree, it's one of those things that's difficult to pull off. I think the best way to do it would be to "trickle" the information.

Anyway if planning a mega crossover, what are some big don't does?
    You mean a multi-cross where three or more fandoms are joined? Those are tough. I mean a regular two fandom crossover is hard, but three or more is harder. Allow me to help there.

If you really need to have three fandoms crossover (and you need to think very hard about that), then limit the fandoms to as few as possible. You need to balance the fandoms you use. Something like this is like a complex stunt. The pros make it look easy because they know what they are doing. But if you don't know exactly what you are doing, you need to proceed with caution, because when doing stuff like this, it is much easier to go wrong.

So make sure you have someone you trust who you can bounce your ideas off of and make sure you're going the right way, at least one person. Also, be aware of how well two fandoms mix together. Some combinations are odd. And do the research on all of them. This is key. If you have to change something in canon, try to remember the essence.

For example, I found a multi-crossover fic once. One of the categories it was filed under was one of my favorite fandoms, Green Lantern. It was the only one there. No GL characters appeared, ever. I know filing stories like this is hard, but try not to put it in a category where no characters appear. What they did take were concepts, like power rings and the Emotional Spectrum. And the story destroyed them. They used those things so very poorly it defies reason. They failed to understand the essence of any of those things at all. For example, they had OC Mary Sues pick their power ring. Power rings in Green Lantern don't work like that. Power rings, when they are allowed to search with their AI feature, pick YOU because you have the qualities inside needed to literally make them work. To just pick one out like it's a toy or something undermines the idea that what makes the user a superhero are their inner qualities. And it got worse from there. You see what I mean?

Sometimes with crossovers, the crossover can put characters out of their depth. Like a thief who suddenly is caught up in a mess of magic. They don't deal with magic. They don't know how. They feel out of place. Bad stories that want to do that would ignore how out of place they are. A good story might use that feeling of discomfort to their advantage. Another bad thing that happens is that crossovers can make characters seem inferior. Fandom A and B meet. Fandom A is more fantastical, Fandom B, less so. Or Fandom A is more magical and Fandom B is not, and Fandom B cannot deal with Fandom A's problem, and Fandom A does all the work. Both fandoms need to be apart of the story, both need to contribute. Both need to be made equal.

Another flaw of multi-crossovers is the number of characters. They can have way too many if you aren't careful. I remember a Kingdom Hearts story where Pete married Maleficent (Not joking, and they really loved each other... it's like Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd, except without the love potion). The story included wedding guests from lots of the Disney worlds featured in the games, some worlds not used yet, and other franchises like Power Rangers (I think Disney might have owned the show at the time of writing). And I stopped reading because it was just too much. There were too many characters and the story just lost focus completely.

Then I think of another fic, Of Love and Bunnies. It is a Power Rangers fic. Technically it involves multiple teams, and since that's the same franchise, it's not actually a crossover, technically, but with all the teams making appearances, it functions similar to one. The story is mainly about the romance between two members of the original Power Rangers team, Tommy Oliver and Kimberly Hart. And like I said, each Power Ranger team makes an appearance in the story, large or small, so you have a gathering of tons of characters, with some OCs in there too. It's a humor fic too, and has hundreds of chapters. But it's not as chaotic because while these characters do appear and interact, the story always goes back to the main characters it was meant to be about, and the plot still works around them and how they are effected by everything.

I'm sorry this was so long. I hope this makes sense. It's hard to put into words how multi-crossovers work and can not work, and I tried my best.

Blog Entries

How long should chapters be? In the fic I'm writing my chapters are shaping up to be about 2,000 words ... is that too much?

Blog Entries

It depends on how you want to structure your story, where you want to put the breaks. The chapter breaks will help keep the story flow organized, for both reader and writer, as will writing in scenes. So it is up to you. But I can say at the moment that 2,000 words in a chapter isn't too much at all. My personal rule of thumb for fanfic is to look for stories that average out at least 1,000 words per chapter. 1,000 is usually a good number to start with if I are looking for detailed or better stories.

Not that length equals quality. It's just probability for me. I particularly apply it for multi-chapter fics. I mean stories can be less than 1,000 words and still be good. A good writer can have the ability to get more done with less. But with multiple chapters, I feel like they need at least 1,000 to potentially be good. Do you understand what I am saying? It's just my own rule.

Blog Entries

Reynard: Thanks for the advice. I am slowly overcoming my block, slowly.

Maybe I should just write something different.

Edit: Ok, okay I should be more specific my own story, not the crossover.
    Last edited by Squeaky the sixth; 13th July 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

My question is how do people write battle sequences involving actual weapons (not Pokémon; the fic in question is a Yugioh fantasy AU), like swordfights? On the one hand, I feel like it's important to describe everything that's happening - character expressions, pain, sword/lance/axe motions, the dialogue - but on the other I sometimes feel that excessive description kind of slows things down.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a book or fic or something I could read bits of to get an idea of how others write these types of scenes? Preferably one that won't take me five years to read? I just clearly do not read the right kind of fantasy novels.

Blog Entries

Look for Weapons That Made Britian on Youtube - it's the best documentary on historical weapon use I've seen

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hitomi View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a book or fic or something I could read bits of to get an idea of how others write these types of scenes? Preferably one that won't take me five years to read? I just clearly do not read the right kind of fantasy novels.
    Anything by R.A. Salvatore. His fight scenes are frickin sweet.

What I do is alternate (paragraph by paragraph, loosely) between describing physical stuff like swordplay and the mental side of things, including emotions and pain. If you want something to be climactic then describe it in detail and no one will get on you for slowing things down. If a scene is important, then it's supposed to take up a significant portion of the story. Also, realistically, your characters probably won't be having much dialogue in the midst of a fight unless they're super badass. Swords/lances/axes are heavy, and using them is quiet intensive.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

That works pretty well.
    Rhonda: Okay, Curly, I admit it. I'm your secret admirer. And the truth is, no matter how hard I try and fight it, [reading off her hand] I'm really, really wild about you. In fact, I've fallen crazy in love. So what do you say? How does that make you feel?
    Curly: Give Daddy some sugar. (kiss)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default How to realistically turn a bad guy good

So in my latest episode of "Pokemon: The Song of Jewels", I've introduced one of the Team Elegy admins, Hibiki. I'm seriously considering having her join Brock and Wendy on their adventure, but what is the best way to have her join the heroes without it sounding contrived, rushed or forced?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: How to realistically turn a bad guy good

A good thing to do is show her becoming disillusioned with Team Elegy's goals and/or ideals. Have them do something that disgusts her so much that even the heroes seem more appealing to her.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sadly I'm not familiar with your story at this point, so I can't offer especially specific advice, but I can say in general, giving characters a sensible motivation is everything.

In the Gundam saga for example, one character spends the entire first series as one of the main villains, then in the sequel series is one of the main protagonists, and then becomes a villain again in one of the film sequels, yet their motivations throughout remain fairly consistent, but the actions they take to realize them shift depending on what outside circumstances are in play.

I think its all about if the character has an established motivation to switch sides.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

I say don't make the change immediate. Have her side with the heroes during some conflict as a reluctant ally, and then sort of go her own way for a while before joining up to accomplish some goal she has in mind.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Well, I think you've already got part of it. If you don't want it to be rushed, don't rush it. What Lugion said is a good idea. A good way to start would be to have her be a reluctant ally at first.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Yeah, what Glitchipedia and Lugion said are good ideas. I did something similar with Shigo in my Fire Emblem fic, only he doesn't turn good completely, he becomes more of an anti-hero because of some actual influence from the good guys and honestly looking back on the things he did in his younger years to see just how wrong they were. But he will end up giving the protagonists some valuable help.

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright firstly If you haven't watched Avatar last Airbender you are a sinner and should burn. But anyway look at the character Zuko from that show. Its a fantastic change from evil to good.

Also when I've done this, and I've only done it once, the character noticed how their ideals were no longer the ideals of the forces he was working with. The guy thought he was the leader, and doing it for good, but slowly his demonic allies turned him into a puppet and he realized this was no longer what he wanted to fight for. No clue if that can apply to your character.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast