ATTENTION: General Writing Questions - Page 10
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: General Writing Questions

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: General Writing Questions

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    First of all, which Digi-timeline is this set in (eg. Adventure, Tamers, Frontier, etc.) and which existing Digimon are you planning to introduce, if any? Are there any fan Digimon involved?
    It will an original timeline, going off of the "alternate dimensions" concept, but borrowing a lot from Savers. Plenty of Digimon will be involved, but none of them will be fan-created.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay--go find pictures of each of the Digimon you plan to introduce (the big Digi-wiki, Wikimon has a list of every known Digimon (and some cut and unreleased ones) from 1997 to today, and most of them have a picture), and try to describe the Digimon's pictures in words
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Okay--go find pictures of each of the Digimon you plan to introduce (the big Digi-wiki, Wikimon has a list of every known Digimon (and some cut and unreleased ones) from 1997 to today, and most of them have a picture), and try to describe the Digimon's pictures in words
    Yeah, that's a given, and I do use Wikimon. My main question is about the concepts, such as the Digital World, Digimon themselves, Digimentals, Evolution (and the different types of it)... etc. When writing Pokémon fan-fiction, I don't have to explain Gym Leaders, Evolution, Regions, nor what a Pokémon is.

As I said before, there will be a character introduced in the series who will be a substitute for the audience, but until then, should these things go unexplained?

Blog Entries

It would be a good idea to mention a few aspects here and there, and then explain in detail so the audience isn't buried in an infodump

Blog Entries

It would be a good idea to mention a few aspects here and there, and then explain in detail so the audience isn't buried in an infodump
    Yeah, I think I'll do that! Thank you for the help!

Blog Entries

Infodumps are usually a no-no, but if you know what you're doing, you can pull it off.

Blog Entries

I agree, it's one of those things that's difficult to pull off. I think the best way to do it would be to "trickle" the information.

Anyway if planning a mega crossover, what are some big don't does?
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Blog Entries

Don't shove characters in there just because you like them

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Default could use some help

Hi, im righting a story about a rebeliouse young teenager who ran from home, he currently only has an elekid, any ideas on the next poke he should catch?

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Default help please

I have an emotional hole in my story. my character ran away from home but i cant think of any reason beyond his parants told him that he could not go on the pokemon journy. any ideas help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: help please

How about he (and/or his family) is in danger, possibly from the evil team?

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

@Teapot Salty: Any reason they have to run away? Family problems (doesn't have to be abuse or not being allowed to be a trainer, just plain old tension is fine) could be one justification.

Would it be too obstructive to put little blurbs at the beginning of each chapter giving away important information about the world you headcanoned (if it's different enough from canon)? That is, if just saying it in the narration isn't an option due to it being awkward to work in.

Examples of what I'm talking about include Death Note's rules that show up on commercial breaks, or Attack on Titan's info cards before and after commercials.

Default RE: General Writing Questions

So, as the name would imply, there are two characters, both of whom are very central to the plot of a Fic I'm working on (personally, I need to have a good deal of it worked out in my head first, to then add onto or change later as the writing itself flows), and it's, for lack of a better term, complex, to describe in prose at least. The two characters, my female main character/protagonist (K), has known her friendly-rival (G) since both of them were extremely young, so, as one would imagine, they're very close. So the problem is that because this relationship is so long, they do and say the kind of things which come across to some people as 'romantic', usually when speaking of two people who are in love, but may or may not have known each other for that long, but can also occur, quite naturally, in long time friends. For example, things along the lines of commenting on how an outfit makes the other look, caring, but often very blunt, advice or comments, nicknames, etc. This in and of itself I've difficult to envision portraying without just point blank saying, 'But not in a romantic way, it was just because they were friends for so long.' Add into this that, unknown to K, G likes her, in a romantic way, but not only does K not notice, she thinks all the ways he practically flirts with her to be along the same lines as the other things they say due to their friendship. Hopefully I haven't lost anybody yet, because it gets a little more complicated still. Also added to this is that A, K's less-than-friendly rival, who happens to actually like G romantically, though her simply finds A annoying, takes notice of how G acts around K, and picks up on the flirting, making A jealous. Naturally, if A ever brought it up, it would confuse K. So I could simply have A point blank spell it out for K, but I really don't want to do that either, because it's a tad too, again, obvious.

So, to summarize that mess of words, how do I portray a relationship where love has developed on one-half of a long time friendship, which isn't noticed by the other half, but is picked up on by a jealous external force.

Sorry if that's confusing, especially given the letters instead of real names, but I'm still brainstorming names, and the I so clinically described it, but I wanted to be as clear and concise as possible. I can try to clarify it again if necessary.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

To clarify, specifically, I was looking for suggestions on dialogue and prose that would portray these in a way readers would either a) suspect/realize or b) Go, 'Ohhhhh, that makes sense!', at the big reveal. At the same time though avoiding point-blank, mechanical text and/or OOC dialogue that wouldn't sense for real people to have. So basically, how, specifically, should I subtly portray this strange little love triangle?

Another question regarding my fanfic in-the-making. I really need help trying to think of what my characters should wear! I have one female protagonist, Kat, her friendly-rival, Gary Oak Jr, her antagonist rival, Alyssa, and then both an additional male and female protagonist who will pop up now and again. All of these characters will appear frequently enough that they need a consistent appearance, (because, as we all know, no one in the Pokemon World seems to change clothes, with the exception of a few, special occasions.) So I'm not asking 'come up with outfits for me,', although if you have any specific ideas, I'd appreciate a PM, it's more along the lines of what do your OCs wear and where do you look to get ideas on this things/what inspires their outfit?

If it makes any difference, the story will be set in Kanto, which in my head cannon (which, in this case, is more or less supported by actual canon) ranges from tropical in its southern areas, such as Cinnabar and the Seafoam Islands, to temperate at it's coldest. So basically, pretty much the Atlantic Seaboard ranging from around Florida up to maybe Massachusetts (Maine and New Hampshire are a tad bit too coniferous.)

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by AceTrainer14; 5th July 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: prevent looking like it was a double post

Default Re: What to Wear?

I have a slightly different problem :D I usually know what my characters wear and I get inspiration from various pictures/movies/games etc. :) but I find it quite hard to describe and it is sometimes almost impossible to give your vision of what the characters look like to the reader :)

That's why I don't go overboard with clothes description, because I think there should be some freedom for the reader to imagine some stuff :D an actual picture might help, but ain't nobody got time for drawing :D

(Sorry, I am a bit off topic and I didn't solve your problem at all). However, I suggest hoodies, everyone loves a hoodies, personally I love striped T-shirts, or shirt+pants :3

Default Re: What to Wear?

@Nereus;

Thanks for the input! I'm really considering the hoodie suggestion, and heavily leaning towards it for two of them now. Also, maybe we should work on characters together sometime, since we could up with complete ones between the two of us, haha. Any thoughts on how to make, for like of a better word, provocative, clothing also seem at least vaguely practical? (I'm the most stumped on how to make Alyssa's outfit, which I envision as being high fashion with a little more skin showing than necessary, practical enough that she could feasibly be a trainer too.)

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast