Flashbacks?

Thread: Flashbacks?

Default Flashbacks?

Okay, as I've mentioned before, I'm working on a series of stories with a friend of mine, and the fifth one in the series is a Pokemon one: basically, nearly every main character we have, save for a couple, is sucked into a portal to the Pokemon world and basically plays a combination of Mystery Dungeon 1 AND 2 alongside their own little subplots- some realize they have new superpowers, some fall in love, one of them discovers more of his forgotten past and so on...

-
    What I want to talk about today is the last person I mentioned above, the one that discovers his forgotten past. His name is Harold. He's 62, has a twin brother named Herman, has the powers of supersonic signals and sound waves, and both he and his brother are currently stuck as Crobats (we've tried to best match their powers and personality to what Pokemon everyone would be: out character Harvey, for example, is a genius, so we made him an Alakazam).

Anyway, Harolds past goes like this: in 1958 when he was around 10 years old, a portal (just like the one that transported the group to the Pokemon world in the story) appeared unexpectantly, and sucked Harold in, seperating him from his brother, his family, and everything he ever knew. He lands in Hoenn near Route 1, and is attacked by a Grovyle and its group of Treeckos! Not knowing what these... things are, he panics and trips while trying to get away, and one of the Treeckos bites his ankle. Wanting to get the little guy off of him, Harold reaches for the nearest thing he can find: a strange red and white ball. He throws the ball at the Treecko, and successfully catches it! The Grovyle and other Treeckos leave him alone, giving him a respectful nod. Harold walks south to Littleroot Town, meeting up with Professor Birch (the ancestor of the Birch we know from R/S/E) who explains the concept of Pokemon, how to train them, how to battle them enc. Harold also (this time actually knowing what he is doing) catches his second Pokemon- a Zigzagoon, naming it Skipper- here. After a conversation at the dinner table, involving a mention of the Cinnabar Island Incident and Birch asking Harold if he really wants to be a Trainer (he does obviously), Harold gets ready for tomorrow.

As he heads out, he receives a book- not a Pokedex!- called the "Hoenn Official Guide to Pokemon Training", which is basically a 50s style Pokedex (it has the names of all the Pokemon found so far, not counting Legendaries or ones like Castform or Porygon, their info with stats, evolutionary family, typing, locations and rarity enc), among some other things (a flashlight, a Town Map, some potions, typical starting stuff) and sends him on his way.

After that, Harold basically goes through the storyline of Emerald with a few tweaks since this is the 50s- no PokeNav, fewer TMs, different Gym Leaders save for a much younger Wattson, Devon Co. might be a bit smaller. He builds up his team with the end result being: Grovyle (didn't want to evolve any further, named Colt), Linoone (Skipper), Gardevoir (Suki), Lewis (Gyarados), Manetectric (Cable), and lastly Donald (Camerupt). He reaches the Pokemon League and wins by the skin of his teeth, luckily his rival Carter (Professor Birch' son, who just so happened to start out a year earlier than him and seems to have a counter to every member of Harolds team) is a good sport, and becomes the 1960 Pokemon Champion! Yay! But... as Harold is handed his trophy, something awful happens! All of a sudden, a new Pokemon appears, and a dangerous one at that! Black as night, floating in midair over them, a single glowing blue eye seen, is the Master of Darkness and Bringer of Nightmares- Darkrai! With an evil cackle he makes a portal appear behind Harold, and it proceeds to suck him in, leaving his team, his new family to him, behind. Colt and his friends are furious! They try to attack Darkrai, but it's in vain and they're knocked out.

Finding no trace of the missing boy, the League decides to send Harolds team off to new owners. They escape and run into the forest, each with their own plan on what to do now. Colt decides to keep searching for Harold, not wanting a new Trainer at all. Skipper decides to head back to Littleroot, and wait for Harold there. Suki, although she loved Harold as much as everyone else, sees no point in waiting for him, and lets herself be willingly captured by a new Trainer. Lewis decides to go back to the sea (either Dewford Town or Route 110) and live out his days travelling, Cable rejoins his pack (eventually setting up a rivalry between them and the Luxray pride after the Great Catastrophe happens) and becomes their leader, and Donald heads back to Mt. Chimney to start a family, having finally gotten over his shyness it seems.

Several years pass, and thanks to The Great Catastrophe happening (I already have a long post a page back on it. I don't want to repeat it again!), the regions have been terraformed into one (or maybe it should be two?) continents, with most of the human population still underground from the disasters, and with most Pokemon assuming they're all dead. The Pokemon start to rebuild the world, and several Guilds and Rescue Bases are formed for nearly every town in order to help out everyone.

And, the events of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon start to unfold as the world recieves some new arrivals...
    -
    Now, all that information I just gave you? (except that last sentence obviously) that's all going to be told in flashback pretty much as told mostly through Gardevoir (yes, Harold is going to be the one who recieves those dreams you have in MD1, after that incident with Darkrai, he can't seem to remember his past there very well) and the Dimensional Scream (or a varient of it where it just reveals the past and not anything to do with Time Gears). The only things we can't figure out are, 1: How long should each flashback be? and 2: how many will he have in order to get the whole story of his days in Hoenn? This seems to be turning into a rather long story (we have a whole bunch of characters, both from the Pokemon world and the visitors from the other universe [The JoH Universe, a universe where almost every human has some sort of superpower in them] who all are going to have their own little plotlines) and it's the 5th out of 6 in a series, so it might take us awhile to write it all down.

P.S. Do you want me to post the other stories here? (they all connect one after another) or should I just give the Pokemon one? I'm thinking the former, but seeing as this is a Pokemon website... I'm not sure if you'd be interested seeing as this is mostly fanfiction from a film series most people haven't heard of/barely remember at all.

The stories go:

Journey of Hope (based around an adaptation of the first Brave Little Toaster movie with them all being humans)

Rescue of Faith (based on the second movie)

Adventure of Courage (third movie)

Light of Time (based on Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross is not canon in this story FYI, epilogue is the last in our "timeline" with some characters from Explorers of Friendship making appearances)

Explorers of Friendship (based on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1 and 2, flashbacks based on a 50s-60s style Emerald)

Knights of Lasseteria (based on two of the anniversary films from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses Kickassia and Suburban Knights respectively)

Hammer of Justice Seryu Ubiquitous's Avatar

Default Re: Flashbacks?

You gotta put it gradually. Not too much,not to little. Some peolpe,like myself,give peoples backstories in different series. I would reccommend it.
    "Justice is Served!"

Oh, I know we're going to do it gradually. We just don't know when its going to come up, save for a couple spots.

E.g: At Crystal Crossing, when they first meet Grovyle (Colt), both Woody and Harold think that there is something familiar about him...

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I would recommend that he has lots of flashbacks that each contain a relatively small amount of information. That way the reader will always remember that there is another story that is trying to be remembered. Also, it won't be too overwhelming. A massive flashback that doesn't relate to the main story can be really frustrating.

Also, when flashbacks connect with past flashbacks or reveal something that was hinted at it in a past one, you might want to point it out as readers may well have forgotten the earlier ones.

Good idea! Thanks! Aything else?

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chimchar98 View Post
    Good idea! Thanks! Aything else?
    I don't have any other specific advice for this issue but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my abilities.

Do you think I should post the other stories here as well? Even though only the fifth one involves Pokemon, and the others involve an adaptation of the three Brave Little Toaster movies, an adaptation of Chrono Trigger (ignoring Chrono Cross btw), and an adaptation of of two anniversary films from a popular website?