Fic Club of the Month? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you want a "fic club" here?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this sounds great!

24 82.76%
  • Maybe, I have a question or two

4 13.79%
  • I don't care either way

0 0%
  • No, we have enough fic spotlights

1 3.45%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fic Club of the Month?

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fic Club of the Month?

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Do something on Bulbanews somehow IMO. That would really get popularity into a whole new level.
    But what can we "do on Bulbanews" if we have nothing to show? It might end up just being a plead to come and read stories.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Do something on Bulbanews somehow IMO. That would really get popularity into a whole new level.
    We have a Twitter account (bulbawriters), for our own publicity and that of the Workshop stories. Not that we don't need Bulbanews for anything, but it's another level altogether and not to be used every time we feel like it.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

I'd like to throw in support for this idea. I've been meaning to follow a few fics on these forums in support of the community, but it's kind of difficult deciding which one to jump into. A weekly/monthly fic recommendation would be a spectacular way to fix this issue (and I support the biweekly model - it allows more fics to go through the recommendation process while leaving them enough time in the limelight). I'd bet I'm not the only one with this issue, too - and it'd help new writers get some support when they need it. I would definitely participate if this was instituted.

As for moderators' fics being excluded... how about they're allowed for recommendation, but only once every two or three months? That way, those who haven't read them could still be exposed to the mods' work, but we'd still have the focus on lesser-known writers.
    Last edited by Data_Error; 29th June 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Personally, I love the idea. Its a great way to motivate newer writers to keep writing. There is nothing that could make me happy as a writer than to find people genuinely immersed in my fic and talking about it, y'know?
    It also means that lesser known fic can get some spotlight for a little while. When you find your fic buried under its peers, a little honorable mention can be a relief not to mention it can attract other readers to the fic.
    Though I really think a month is too long. You would eventually get bored of talking about it and month is a long time. I think a week is much better.

Blog Entries

I think that it's good to mix in any quality fic regardless of whether it's a mod fic, a popular fic, a lesser known fic, an archived fic, etc, as long as it's quality and interesting to discuss.

To me, the point of this activity is not necessarily only to offer lesser-known fics instant publicity, but to help foster a more concrete feeling of unity and community here in the Writers Workshop. Remember, everyone here loves writing. we are Bulbagarden's team of authors. I think the focus should be on doing something as a community and bouncing ideas off one another in a team-oriented setting.

Obviously, we dont want to solely focus on the "popular fics" who get readers and comments on their own, but we also don't want to punish those people either for their successes. I would say the same thing goes for mod fics. If we do the activity bi-weekly (I still vote for monthly), we are going to be doing 2 fics per month approx. Over the coarse of a few months thats a lot of fics. IMO, we will have time to give almost all the good quality fics attention whether they are written by a mod, a very popular author, a lesser known author, or a complete noob.

Perhaps to stimulate reviews across the board, we could say that the author who shows him or herself to being a great reviewer throughout the WW will win the right to have his or her fic as the featured fic for fic club that following time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Perhaps to stimulate reviews across the board, we could say that the author who shows him or herself to being a great reviewer throughout the WW will win the right to have his or her fic as the featured fic for fic club that following time?
    That's a great incentive.

I also agree with the community aspect of this project, because the Workshop does seem pretty scattered right now.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Legacy mentions something that deserves consideration. What about archived fics? Will they be eligible?

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Legacy mentions something that deserves consideration. What about archived fics? Will they be eligible?
    I believe they should be, but to a limited degree.

With ongoing fics, you can take more liberty in speculating, and there is anticipation, and reading at the same time when a chapter is posted. But in archived fics, while it could be the same degree of speculation, it is still a little constricted when it comes to the overall story, since the members could finish the story before the end of it's time in the Club.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    I believe they should be, but to a limited degree.

With ongoing fics, you can take more liberty in speculating, and there is anticipation, and reading at the same time when a chapter is posted. But in archived fics, while it could be the same degree of speculation, it is still a little constricted when it comes to the overall story, since the members could finish the story before the end of it's time in the Club.
    Well this wouldnt be a huge issue IMO. Sure people could read ahead, but that's true of any book club, which normally review entire completed novels.

Here is how I envision it going:

1. Basically we come to an agreement somehow on which fic we will be reading collectively as a group. (The more chapters that author has done the better IMO. And completed fics are even better)

2. We assign a certain number of chapters to read and a date to have them read by. On that date we begin discussions, led by a mod/MC who leads the discussion with discussion questions.

3. The discussions will take place directly in the author's story thread, which could possibly be stickied during their time in the spotlight and removed afterward.

4. When the discussion dies down or after a certain amount of time has passed, more chapters are assigned and the discussion steps are repeated until the end.

Again though, I think people are getting too caught up in "who is eligible and who isn't?" and "how do we decide which fic to pick?". This isn't the awards. The important thing is not who, but participation as a whole. Ultimately most people will get a chance if this goes well and sticks as a popular activity.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi-chan View Post
    We have a Twitter account (bulbawriters), for our own publicity and that of the Workshop stories. Not that we don't need Bulbanews for anything, but it's another level altogether and not to be used every time we feel like it.
    Please don't make me show how it can be used. :/ I figure one column on Bulbanews is good enough for this man, and if I start writing what I think it'd be like 3-4 pages long. Besides, how many people actually read the Bulbawriter twitter, anyway? I mean mainstream. A Bulbanews type series might be an extra prong we can use to get people to come in and read.
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Well this wouldnt be a huge issue IMO. Sure people could read ahead, but that's true of any book club, which normally review entire completed novels.

Here is how I envision it going:

1. Basically we come to an agreement somehow on which fic we will be reading collectively as a group. (The more chapters that author has done the better IMO. And completed fics are even better)

2. We assign a certain number of chapters to read and a date to have them read by. On that date we begin discussions, led by a mod/MC who leads the discussion with discussion questions.

3. The discussions will take place directly in the author's story thread, which could possibly be stickied during their time in the spotlight and removed afterward.

4. When the discussion dies down or after a certain amount of time has passed, more chapters are assigned and the discussion steps are repeated until the end.

Again though, I think people are getting too caught up in "who is eligible and who isn't?" and "how do we decide which fic to pick?". This isn't the awards. The important thing is not who, but participation as a whole. Ultimately most people will get a chance if this goes well and sticks as a popular activity.
    That sounds like a decent plan, but how will the writers be involved? Are they allowed in the discussion, considering they know all about the story?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    That sounds like a decent plan, but how will the writers be involved? Are they allowed in the discussion, considering they know all about the story?
    Well I don't speak for everyone and it's up for discussion, but I would think having the author weigh in about his/her thoughts and strategy behind what he/she wrote should be more than encouraged. It would be vital.

For those who are familiar with book clubs, think of how cool it would be to actually have the actual author there to join in on the discussion and be available for questions, etc. Well, we'd have that opportunity here.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

^As an author, I think that would be a blast to do. I'm kind of an author's notes whore (anyone who reads Unpredictable knows what I'm talking about) and I love talking about my stories.

As far as publicity goes, I think posting each week's/month's story to the tweetboard thing should be sufficient (or whatever that tab on the left is called).

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Maybe instead of having it in a thread, we could make a club/group in the forums that people interestd can freely join. That way, people could have the option to keep discussing older fics fi they still have thoughts and opinions and allow other fics to still be read. Im not suggesting we have fifteen threads going at once: we still do it monthly/bi weekly, with a new one being added after however long, but we don't say "Ok, stop reading this fic now and read this one instead!" and allow people to discuss for however long they want

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    Maybe instead of having it in a thread, we could make a club/group in the forums that people interestd can freely join. That way, people could have the option to keep discussing older fics fi they still have thoughts and opinions and allow other fics to still be read. Im not suggesting we have fifteen threads going at once: we still do it monthly/bi weekly, with a new one being added after however long, but we don't say "Ok, stop reading this fic now and read this one instead!" and allow people to discuss for however long they want
    But I kind of grew fond of the "in the story itself" approach. Mainly because if one of my fics was ever chosen by the Club, I would want to keep track of all the discussion easily, and be able to see what people are thinking/speculating/discussing about my story, even after it had it's run.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast