Fic Club of the Month? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Would you want a "fic club" here?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this sounds great!

24 82.76%
  • Maybe, I have a question or two

4 13.79%
  • I don't care either way

0 0%
  • No, we have enough fic spotlights

1 3.45%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fic Club of the Month?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fic Club of the Month?

I'd love such an idea for three reasons.

1. It might get people to read my stuff *runs*
    2. It'll give me an idea of what to read and look out for, etc.
    3. I enjoy a good sense of community, and this would bring just that into light.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

I really like this idea. It sounds like a lot of fun. The only aspect of it I would change is to make it bi-weekly instead of monthly. I think monthly would just be too long, and with a bi-weekly schedule twice as many fics would get into the spotlight.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That could work...

Every 2 weeks does sound better than every month.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

This sounds like a great idea.

Personally I think that monthly would be better than bi-weekly, as spotlighting fics isn't the sole purpose. It's also important to have plenty of time to read and discuss the fic, especially if there are many slow readers out there. Plus, it would give the author more time to release new chapters while his/her fic is in the spotlight and maintain interest.

Also, since Legacy, Gama, and Drakon were knighted became mods, that's a fair amount of the Workshop's really popular stuff right there. So choosing a mod's fic and choosing just popular fics are more or less the same issue (there are exceptions of course).

My two cents. Sounds awesome, I'd definitely participate.

Blog Entries

Follow revolvingscott on Tumblr

I like this but I do agree that the fics chosen shouldn't be that popular and that it would be a great way to spotlight lesser known but still good fics.

I think the mods should probably pick it but maybe users could PM them, suggesting certain fics? It would mean the users had some say and it would do a good job of removing favouritism as there are less people to be swayed.

EDIT: I think we should try it at bi-weekly and if it turns out there isn't enough time to properly discuss the fics, it could be extended to monthly.

Blog Entries

I like the idea. As it was mentioned above, it's a good way to get people talking with each other and about fics.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Also, since Legacy, Gama, and Drakon were knighted became mods, that's a fair amount of the Workshop's really popular stuff right there. So choosing a mod's fic and choosing just popular fics are more or less the same issue (there are exceptions of course).
    Mod fics would be excluded, then, or left for special occasions only.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

I really like this idea :) I think it would definitely get people to read more people's work, and I definitely would be interested in taking part.

I have an idea of how we could do it. The mods could choose one fic each, and than the rest of us vote on which fic we would like to read first from that list. All of the mods choices get read, but we just vote on which order.

And I think moderator's fics should be included if they aren't that well known. The mods already cant get voted on for awards, so they need something to go with

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

I dislike the idea of mod fics being excluded, and after thinking about it a bit, popular fics as well.

There are members who don't read the "popular fics", and this club might encourage them to. Besides, if they were popular, they must be popular for a reason. Featuring them could be very successful, and could draw some members to the Workshop in general if they just happen to pass by the thread.

By the way, will it be one thread for all the stories? Or one thread for each story?

Blog Entries

Follow revolvingscott on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux
    There are members who don't read the "popular fics", and this club might encourage them to.
    Well, yes, but the popular fics don't need any new readers. There are very good fics littered about that barely get one or two regular readers and it's these fics that need spotlighted; not the popular fics that get droves of readers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionableTendency View Post
    Well, yes, but the popular fics don't need any new readers. There are very good fics littered about that barely get one or two regular readers and it's these fics that need spotlighted; not the popular fics that get droves of readers.
    But my point is that the popular stories could be how we draw more members into the Workshop, which we need. More members frequenting this corner of the forum does increase the chance for the "littered fics" of getting a reader or two.

Because, as I said before, the popular ones are popular for a reason.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

I'm with Kyuujux, why shouldn't a popular fic or mod fic be chosen from time to time? As long as they aren't always the popular ones I don't see a problem. Like I said before, spotlighting lesser-known fics (like my own ;) ) isn't the sole purpose of this. As Kyuu pointed out, the popular ones are popular because they're good. I know there are some very good lesser-known fics out there, but there are also some very bad ones. I'd rather spend a month/fortnight (always wanted to say that) reading something that's good.

Someone else suggested that the fics chosen should have not been read by anyone in the club. I find this a little harsh. I'm all for reading something new, but almost all of the good fics out there have at least one, if not more, active reader(s).

Whatever the system turns out to be, I'm excited for this to start.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    I'm with Kyuujux, why shouldn't a popular fic or mod fic be chosen from time to time? As long as they aren't always the popular ones I don't see a problem. Like I said before, spotlighting lesser-known fics (like my own ;) ) isn't the sole purpose of this. As Kyuu pointed out, the popular ones are popular because they're good. I know there are some very good lesser-known fics out there, but there are also some very bad ones. I'd rather spend a month/fortnight (always wanted to say that) reading something that's good.

Someone else suggested that the fics chosen should have not been read by anyone in the club. I find this a little harsh. I'm all for reading something new, but almost all of the good fics out there have at least one, if not more, active reader(s).

Whatever the system turns out to be, I'm excited for this to start.
    I agree with you completely, you've pretty much summarised my thoughts on the topic.

I was the one who talked about focusing on fics that people hadn't read. The reason for this was that the initial idea was that it would be like a book club where people all read up to the same amount of chapters together (of a fic that had progressed further than that) and then discussed so it'd only work if enough people hadn't read the fic.

That said, I don't think there is any fic in the Workshop that is too read to be spotlighted.

Blog Entries

I like this idea.

Personally, biweekly fic club meeting sounds like best option.

But I too, see no reason to exclude popular or even moderator works just as long as they are treated like the works of anyone else.

Although maybe a five days or so prior to the actual meeting, nominations for the fics to be read could be open. And then from that pool, some are randomly chosen for that meeting. The "leftovers" then carry on over to the next meeting.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Do something on Bulbanews somehow IMO. That would really get popularity into a whole new level.
    Don't know what to put here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast