Episode titles

Thread: Episode titles

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Episode titles

So I'm just about ready to begin writing "Pokemon: Melody of Indigo (well, technically, Episode 1 is in a file in various bits and pieces and I have to put all the pieces together), but I'm not sure how I want to title the episodes:

Should I write them like:

"Pun or Pop Culture Reference That Hints at the Episode's Events" (US style)

or

"Basic gist of the episode! Major event that happens in this episode!" (anime style)

I like my fics to have a TV show like feel, but I'm not sure how I should title the episodes
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Default Re: Episode titles

Personally, you should keep the short but simple. Like with Robotech/Macross's first episode, "Boobytrap" where the alien spacecraft, SDF-1 (Macross), fires its main gun at an unsuspecting enemy. Hence, the name Boobytrap. Or the first Gundam series where the first episode title is "Gundam Rising" and sums up the episode.

You don't have to reference something or make it lengthy like in some Anime. Just make sure it fits the events in the chapter and sounds good to you.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Personally, I can't stand the English dub episode titles. With a few exceptions, they sound contrived, forced and trite. The Japanese way of doing it seemed much better, and it seems they've finally woken up to that with the English dub of Best Wishes.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Personally, you should keep the short but simple. Like with Robotech/Macross's first episode, "Boobytrap" where the alien spacecraft, SDF-1 (Macross), fires its main gun at an unsuspecting enemy. Hence, the name Boobytrap. Or the first Gundam series where the first episode title is "Gundam Rising" and sums up the episode.

You don't have to reference something or make it lengthy like in some Anime. Just make sure it fits the events in the chapter and sounds good to you.
    I'd say this is a pretty good idea. I love the English puns, but they'll probably come off as tacky. The Japanese version does have something distinguishing about it, but lack creativity.

But since you're going for a TV feel, and you only want one of the two, I'd say the pop culture references.
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Blog Entries

I'm leaning towards the anime style titles to mimic the actual Pokemon anime.

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

When I write chapter titles, I usually do so once I've written the chapter myself. I read through it again and then choose something that fits the overall feel. With Bright World though, from around chapter 3 I've gone a step further and made them chess related (not sure why, but now I can't stop!).

Out of the two, I'd say go for the Japanese-style (just not the ones with spoilers in their names 9.9). Only use puns if you think of them on the fly and think they're actually funny - it's obvious when a joke is forced.

Blog Entries

With me, thinking of the titles first usually helps spur a plot

Blog Entries

I think the US style would be nice

Personally I make my titles something short and quick, but this is about which one you prefer. I think that the pun would be nice, as long as the puns are either clever or amusing since the other alternative gives too many spoilers which sort of makes reading the chapter redundant if you specialize in cliff hangers.

The Dude Abides

I like using a naming theme. I've always wanted to do a TV-series-esque fanfic where all the episode titles are song titles. Or movie titles.