Description of Pokemon and canon characters: Necessary?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Description of Pokemon and canon characters: Necessary?

Blog Entries

Default Description of Pokemon and canon characters: Necessary?

I mean, considering how we have easy access to Bulbapedia (names being linked in posts even), would it be needed of Author's to provide a description or no?

Default Re: Description of Pokemon and canon characters: Necessary?

I think tat this is the thread you are looking for Is it ever okay to "spell it out?" :) and personally, I think you should describe every character at least slightly.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

FWIW stuff doesn't get auto-linked in the Workshop. Either way, it would break the flow of the story to have to click out in order to see a picture/description of a Pokemon/character.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Either way, it would break the flow of the story to have to click out in order to see a picture/description of a Pokemon/character.
    Yeah, there's that. But considering what this forum's about, it wouldn't be wrong to assume that your readers know what a Charizard or a Dewott is.

I'm not saying there should be zero description period, I'm just questioning how much. I tend to gloss over them when I see them, thinking, "Yes, yes, I know what they look like blablabla."
    Last edited by matt0044; 5th July 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

What I usually do is describe the character's best known feature (eg. Ash's hat, for example)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't think its nescessary, just provide a suitable introduction or establishment and in most cases thats enough.

However, say if you had a long running fic that was nearly 100% original characters, and then you wanted to introduce a canon character for a guest apperance, you could describe them in detail like they were a new character to enhance the surprise of that character making an appearance.
    jjl2357 likes this.

I don't think you really need too, unless there's been substantial change in an appearance, such as; a new outfit, evolution, general aging, etc. However, I always throw in small bits and pieces of description, to break the monotony of (insert name) did this, or (insert name) said. Such as substituting 'the bipedal, orange Pokemon' or 'the reptilian Pokemon' for 'Charmander.' However, I don't think they warrant nearly as much attention when it comes to getting an appearance across as OCs, for obvious reasons, and almost never deserve a paragraph describing them (under most circumstances), though that applies to all characters.

My short answer is: Yes.

Visual descriptions of characters and Pokemon are absolutely necessary ... most of the time. There are exceptions.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

My rules of thumb: Always treat the readers as someone who don't know anything about your fic, nor the fandom you are writing in. Therefore insert the descriptions of characters, whether it is human characters, Pokemon, any other living beings and/or objects.

But remember: Don't overdescribe it. Don't insert a whole page of paragraphs just to describe what this characters wear, what his/her face look like, what all those unnecessary fine details like the shoe he/she wears is the Nike brand. Don't make the description a purple prose, such as describing the yellow electric mouse as something the rodent more closer to the hamster species, with short soft amber fur luster golden light under sunshine, release electricity from its round cherry cheek that is such high voltage enough to stun an Indian Elephant in a instant.

Just describe the character with the most outstanding feature(s) he/she has, where such feature(s) can used to single that character out from the group.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    the yellow electric mouse as something the rodent more closer to the hamster species, with short soft amber fur luster golden light under sunshine, release electricity from its round cherry cheek that is such high voltage enough to stun an Indian Elephant in a instant.
    That's the best description of Pikachu I have ever seen :D The funniest was the Indian Elephant :D

My rules of thumb: Always treat the readers as someone who don't know anything about your fic, nor the fandom you are writing in. Therefore insert the descriptions of characters, whether it is human characters, Pokemon, any other living beings and/or objects.
    Yup, I think along those lines too. If I introduced a major story character to the reader by describing them only as a "Shinx", I'm not really describing the character, I'm just tossing out a label and whether the reader knows what it means could be another matter entirely. (Remember in Peter Pan when Wendy offers Peter a "kiss" ?)

On the other hand, if I introduce a "blue lion cub with yellow eyes, black hindquarters, and a yellow star on his tail" then that's a description you can sink some teeth into.

As for the actual length of description, I say it should match the context (and pacing) the character is introduced in. If the main (viewpoint) character has the time to actually observe them, then you can go into full itemizing mode and drop a paragraph-long description of them. On the other hand, if the surrounding context is fast-paced (such as a Big Damn Hero dropping into a heated battle) you should only spend a second or two to describe only the most prominent visual details your character is likely to notice first. For example, if you spot a Lucario rushing by in a blue blur, are you really going to notice the white metal spikes on its chest or hands, black rings on the shoulders, or the exact number of toes per foot? I think not.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 6th July 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

describing the yellow electric mouse as something the rodent more closer to the hamster species, with short soft amber fur luster golden light under sunshine, release electricity from its round cherry cheek that is such high voltage enough to stun an Indian Elephant in a instant.
    Best. Pikachu Description. EVER.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I always describe canon characters and places and such in my fanfiction. The reason is that my stuff can be viewed by absolutely anyone and not everyone plays Fire Emblem, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon. I also have posted works of one fandom in a place that's more so for another fandom. Bulbagarden is one such example. You can see my FE, Zelda, and Mario fics here, and I've gotten some readers for them that haven't played one of those franchises.

If I recall, Legacy has never played FE, but he did read my fic and understood it pretty well because I described all the characters and stuff.

Blog Entries

It depends on your target audience's knowledge. If I expect mine to know Pokémon well, I do not describe the monsters or the better-known humans like I should.

Otherwise, if you don't expect them to know as much, go into detail. (Same if you're writing customizable characters like Cmdr Shepherd)

In crossovers, particularly if your target is both fandoms, I wouldn't advise skipping anyone. There's a chance one does not know anything about the other

Blog Entries

I don't think so. I mean it's already given in game, or which ever media. In the Pokemon anime it states trainers are eligible to become Pokemon trainers at the age of 10, or must leave home to go on a journey. Whereas in the games it says no such things, and it's obvious since the Pokemon games have a time-based, non-linear story unlike the anime. It also says in the manual in the first Pokemon games Red's age is 11 and such, so if someone wants info on characters they could come to Bulbapedia, or read the manga or play the games.
    The enjoyment in puncturing the balloons of social hypocrisy is matched only by the idea of 'just desserts', (Pun always intended!) particularly as a form of revenge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast