Dealing with Pokemon that evolve when traded - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dealing with Pokemon that evolve when traded

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dealing with Pokemon that evolve when traded

I am with Zekurom. The game mechanics need to be translated to the story, and ask yourself if evolving when traded is really the best option to go. What's important is what makes the better story.

As far as trading goes, I am of the mind to say that if a Pokemon evolves after just been traded, it would be pure coincidence. The idea that the act of trading makes a Pokemon evolve just feels a little too mechanical to me, though many of the people here have offered interesting theories on how it comes about. But still, even if the machine affected the Pokemon, it would be a coincidence, and not needed for them to evolve like in the game. The idea of the act of trading being REQUIRED for a Pokemon to evolve always seemed rather silly to me.

Also, the idea that a traded Pokemon grows under a different kind of trainer could work too I guess.

And like Glitchipedia, I feel that the trading machine is only there to legally signify the trade. I mean if people want to trade Pokemon, why did they need to bother making a machine to switch them? Why not just hand each other the Poke balls instead? Wouldn't that be simpler, since the machine just takes the balls of the platforms and just deposits them back? It might look cool and all, but isn't it just a drain on power, time, and resources, things you wouldn't really need to spend if you just used your arms.

I think Poke balls have data stored in them to signify who they belong to. It would make sense. After all, the seventh Pokemon of a traveling trainer auto-transports without the machine. How does it know where to go? The Pokedex is programmed with ID, so the Pokedex can be used to program the balls with ID and where to send extra Poke balls. That would be how Ash's extra Poke balls could go straight to Professor Oak, and how Professor Oak knows who the incoming Poke ball belongs to.

So the machine just alters registration so that the Pokemon are legally traded, as opposed to stolen. Otherwise, why did they invent the machine, other than boredom?

As for Porygon and its evolutions, with them being man-made and the Up-Grade and Dubious Disk being needed in-game while traded to evolve them, it does make sense for the trade causing the evolution. The items have an evolution code written in them that cause the evolution when held by Porygon (Up-Grade)/Porygon2 (Dubious Disk) and traded via the machines. Aside from that line, I'd listen to the other suggestions.

Personally, because I had the exact same dilemma because I plan on the main character in a future fic owning a Kadabra which would become an Alakazam, I agree with the people who say disregard it. To me, considering the simple existence of OCs, or the using of canon characters, already betrays canon, why bother making an awkward and most likely pointless detour from the main plot in your story for the 'sanctity' of the already betrayed canon? Also, it was brought up before about their being Pokemon such as wild Golems and Alakazams, and unless every single one of them was released by a trainer who traded to evolve them, then the trading isn't absolutely necessary for the evolution to take place. I mean, why waste a few hundred words describing a trade when they will likely be traded right back? If you want, I suppose having them exposed to a certain energy, like the location evolutions in the games, causes them to evolve, or something like Kadabra only evolving on the new moon. To me though it's a pointless distraction that takes away from the story which most readers don't care about as they'd rather see canon disregarded than read through text which is basically just a loop.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior of Fire View Post
    As for Porygon and its evolutions, with them being man-made and the Up-Grade and Dubious Disk being needed in-game while traded to evolve them, it does make sense for the trade causing the evolution. The items have an evolution code written in them that cause the evolution when held by Porygon (Up-Grade)/Porygon2 (Dubious Disk) and traded via the machines. Aside from that line, I'd listen to the other suggestions.
    The Porygon line might actually be the one exception I'd make—I portray Porygon as being able to freely travel between the real world and cyberspace, existing as pure program code while within the latter, with the Up-Grade and the Dubious Disk as "service packs" that can be installed like ordinary software.

On another note, with Porygon-Z being legally recognized as a Pokémon and usable in League-sanctioned events, I portray the Dubious Disk as not really being "dubious" so much as just coming from a different developer than Silph, with Silph's authorization but not necessarily any instructions. With the new developer being unaccustomed to Porygon's programming, the second service pack came out a bit glitchy but still largely functional.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Given that this thread was revived, I figure it might be useful to give specifics on how I got around this issue (since I'm rather proud of how I did it).

The three main characters and their Pokemon are fighting Team Rocket in Silph Co. Coincidentally, two of the Pokemon who are out are a Haunter and a Kadabra. They have to run away from a large group of Rockets and end up hiding in a strange room that turns out to be a teleportation machine. The door shuts and they all get teleported, much to their shock. However, since no one chose a destination, they all got scattered throughout the building and ended up with each others' Pokemon. As the characters fight their ways back to each other, the Pokemon evolve.

So there are not one, but two nods to semi-disruptive canon without hurting the story at all, and in fact making it more exciting.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to do something as convoluted as this, but it turned out well in my case. Keeping things realistic while still making subtle references to canon is what makes fanfiction so fun to read. One of the ideas I had earlier in the thread is to have the Pokemon undergo evolution not from trading, but from some life-shattering change that upends their lifestyle (not necessarily in a bad way), which could be considered the natural equivalent of a trade. Just evolving through experience is totally acceptable, but why give up the opportunity to do something cool?

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

In one of my favourite fictions the author did it like this: There was a battle Mantine x Seadra and when Mantine's trainer wanted her pokémon to get back into the pokéball, the red light caught Seadra instead and when Seadra was released out of the Pokéball, he started evolving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12