A Curiosity

Thread: A Curiosity

Yeezy taught me The Booty Warrior's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default A Curiosity

So, I was checking out fanfic advice websites and the story types got me thinking.

Does anyone think there is a type of story that people usually get wrong (i.e. Darker and Edgier, Lighter and Softer) and if so, why is that such a common occurrence?
    "I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death." - Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, N.Y. State of Mind

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Curiosity

Mmm... One type of fanfic everyone gets wrong...

I don't think I know any type, except Erotica. It's very easy for it to be disgusting, or for it to devolve into IKEA Erotica, both of which is very, very bad.

And the reason behind this is the same for why Mary Sues are so despised: the author applies his/her kinks or interests, and those may conflict with the reader. There's also the IKEA Erotica side, where the lack of knowledge about sexuality in general makes a cringe-worthy piece of fiction.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

powered by the sun farewell, friend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow farewell, friend on Tumblr

^ I definitely agree with the Erotica. It's probably the hardest type of story to get right. Is it possible to improve with that kind of story over time? I mean, I just see it as a difficult genre to write in general, and therefore if you just don't have that amazing Erotica writer in you, it's never going to come. Feel free to disagree :p

I just don't see that genre like the other ones. Like you can improve in writing a thriller, but can you do the same with Erotica...?
    I'm the essence of
    daydreamer. time-waster. black and white painter.
    in an upside-down world.
    eyes closed. dreams unfold. ascending realities; open to me.

Friend code: 1306-6423-3472 | Friend safari: Flying | Instagram: neucidity|

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with the above posters. Mainly because lime and lemon are msotly written by people who have little to know idea what they are writing about and even if they do, they fail biology forever. Or overdramatise. Or all of the above combined.

Of course, Sturgeon's law still applies.

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?

"...That was interesting" Erasmus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I believe it is simply that most types of fanfics are generally done poorly. Aladar hit the nail on the head with Sturgeon's law. It not always a problem inherit in the genre/tone, but more that every type can be done wrong, and if you're not an able writer, you can easily drift into the problems of those tones.

For instance, in Darker and Edgier, the author simply assumes that making things always grim and depressing and the characters doing "mature things" is enough. It's not, those are parts of the story, but it as much critical and logical thought as any story is. Same for every other tone. People simply take the defining traits at face value, but forget that there's more to a story than that.

~Erasmu's Art~DeviantArt~
    Weekly Recommendation: Hallow's Art

Yeezy taught me The Booty Warrior's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are good examples. I agree with Erotica; either the author is putting too much trust in the audience's ability to use their imagination even when given dry, chewed up members to utilize for fantasizing or they haven't got much of a clue as to how the whole getting together process works.

And Darker and Edgier is definitely troublesome, since the main points of it are supposed to be cynical and more realistic, except that the violence and sex it usually overlaps with end up being seen as what the genre is.

So, how about giving out suggestions to avoid these pitfalls and make these genres work for one's writing?

Like Darker and Edgier, the fundamental aspect of it is that it is supposed to be cynical, with those "mature things" simply being things like consequences or causes of the cynicism.
    "I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death." - Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, N.Y. State of Mind