Creative liberties with your story - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creative liberties with your story

Default Re: Creative liberties with your story

Creative liberties? Where do I start?

Okay, for a start, I guess I could mention that my story is set in my own universe. And there are no humans. That's quite a notable one.

This originated, weirdly, from conkeldurr's pokedex entry. It said that conkeldurr taught humans how to make concrete originally, which made me wonder if pokemon even need humans for a sophisticated world. I put on my proverbial philosophical hat and answered 'no'. In fact, I believe the world would be very similar.

What do humans actually provide that pokemon can't do? There are pokemon with hands who could write, and make things. Fighting types are much stronger than us, and would make better builders. There are pokemon cleverer than we are (although generally for the purposes of the story, intelligence is generalised, so more intelligent pokemon are brought down and less intelligent ones are raised up, to an extent at least; I felt it was necessary for a sophisticated society). So that results in a society not too different to a human one.

The setting I settled on for the actual story is more of a fantasy-esque thing, which is also a notable creative liberty. I thought this would fit better with things like pokemon moves, which are not unlike the sort of magic you'd find in a normal fantasy story. The actual 'moves' used in the story, by the way, are more like 'references' of sorts to the ingame moves, rather than being the exact same thing (and there are a lot of other actions which don't fit moves at all). This opens up possibilities for pokemon learning moves which they couldn't normally learn, for example, one of my characters is a vaporeon who works as a ritualist, which gives him access to lots of ghost-esque powers, for example, he uses a spell similar to shadow ball a lot, almost as his personal signature. A lot of moves like this are based more on someone's training and skills than their species.

This brings me onto another point, which is that ghosts are not treated as 'regular' pokemon like in the games and stuff. They're more like incorporeal, other-worldly spirits, something not uncommon in fantasy. Accomplished magicians (often, but not necessarily psychic or dark types) can train to summon ghosts into the material world from the 'void' (if you have a better/more original name, please tell me) where they normally dwell, and make the spirits perform tasks for them. Maelstrom, the aforementioned vaporeon, is quite good at this.

Other than ghosts, types are largely not paid much attention to. Instead, I focus on what something's body is actually like. A victreebel would still be weak to fire because its a plant, but leafeon which is a fox would be able to take fire much more effectively (if still not well) because only part of its body is plantlike. Similarly, there's no reason why an espeon could resist being punched substantially better than an umbreon, since they have very similar body structures and all.

Hmmm, well that's quite a lot of creative liberties, but it's by no means a complete list. If I really started thinking about this, it may only be the tip of the iceberg. Oh, and if anyone has questions or issues with what might not work, and stuff, it might be handy for you to bring that up. So, yeah, I'd probably appreciate it. Anyway, this post is long enough, so I may just stop rambling now.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Right, I almost forgot. I incorporate glitches into the world by making them "extradimensional phenomena". Creatures with such attributes are only referred to as Pokémon in an unofficial capacity—respectable researchers refuse to catalog them alongside "real" Pokémon. That being said, experiments have been conducted and specimens were named, though the files containing those names, as well as other information, were corrupted by the entities' very presence, resulting in unpronounceable gibberish in most cases, and so they tend to be referred to only by their numbers, which were physically written down upon their arrival in our dimension.

The most curious of these is Specimen 000, found to be the most stable in our dimension, though unable to remain manifested for long without some sort of anchor. Studies on this matter are ongoing.

Somewhat unrelated, although I mainly use the game universe's timeline and, to some extent, logic, I do incorporate locations from the other media and make liberal use of the Burst technique from Pokémon RéBURST.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

There are many other deviations from canon and other creative liberties. Stuff I included:
    - The human population is much higher than it apparently is in the actual games, though lower than the real world. My fanfics estimate it to be about 4-4.5 billion people.
    - Animals exist in the Pokemon world in significant numbers, though they are generally not as highly regarded as Pokemon. Pokemon eat them frequently.
    - Unova's culture has just as many differences from American culture as it does similarities. For example, clothing styles are somewhat different - sometimes they can be more in line with Europe (I've depicted a number of male characters from Unova wearing European-style swimwear instead of American-style). Foreign media is also more popular in Unova than in America. People in Unova (and Kalos) also tend to marry earlier than in real-life America (and France). Fast food also is nowhere near as popular, though it does exist. Soccer is also a lot more popular there than in America (though Unovans are often mocked for calling the sport soccer - in Kalos they call it football). Unovans also don't work as many hours as Americans do and get more vacations.
    - Unova is just one region that is part of a larger country. Kalos is as well. (Notice how Kalos doesn't have southern France? That's supposed to be the other component of the country that Kalos belongs to.)
    - Real-world religions such as Christianity and Islam exist in the Pokemon world. I don't try to Pokemon-ize them since I don't want to offend people.
    - Real historical people are occasionally mentioned. Charles Perrault has been mentioned in my Pokemon X and Y fanfic. Hilbert also briefly mentioned Adolf Hitler in one of my older fics.
    - Real celebrities are mentioned. Kim Kardashian has been mentioned in two fanfics. I've also mentioned Mel Gibson, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson, Keke Palmer, Paris Hilton, Madonna, Elton John, Ellie Goulding, Wang Chung, Evgeni Plushenko, Johnny Weir, and Jerry Lewis in fanfics. (Jerry Lewis was mentioned in a Kalos fic as a reference to his alleged popularity in France.)
    - TONS of real-world products are mentioned. I can't even list a few I've used...
    - Characters' heights are different. Calem is considerably taller than he is in the games - he is taller than Viola, Valerie, Olympia, Malva, and Drasna, unlike in the games.
    - The Parfum Palace is much bigger in my fanfics than it is in the games. It is approximately the size of the real Palace of Versailles. Many other large buildings are even larger in my fanfics than in the games.
    - Kalos has a sizable aristocracy, though their titles are mostly just for show nowadays.
    - Ancient and medieval cultures in the Pokemon world had better technology than the real ancient world and medieval world. There are pre-modern buildings over 1,500 feet in height - over three times as tall as the tallest real-life pre-modern buildings. There were also a lot more historical interactions from cultures on different continents than in the real world.
    - Lysandre died in the collapse of the Team Flare HQ. (Unless they make a sequel with Lysandre alive, I'm sticking to this.)
    - Lost continents existed at numerous times in the Pokemon world history.
    - I have used the concept of magic before - I portray it as something related to Fairy-type Pokemon (like psychic powers are to Psychic-type Pokemon).
    Last edited by Baby Seals; 4th April 2014 at 09:58 PM.

The Dude Abides

To be workable at all as an internally consistent story, you kind of have to deviate from canon when writing a Pokemon fic. There are many things that make no sense. First, PokeDex entries really have to be recast as total bullshit. Because they're so mindblowingly impossible even by Pokemon world standards. Then, if you insist on still having ten year olds running around as Pokemon trainers, you need to explain why this is even possible, why it's considered safe, why parents would let their kids do it. You probably need your own headcanon of what the deal is with PC Storage and Poke Balls. You need to figure out how hold items work, if you're including them at all. Will you just have an elite four and champion, or a tournament, or, my personal favorite, both?
    I have a massive crazy canon for the Pokemon World of my story, that takes some things from the games, the show, the comics, and then a lot from various fiction I like. I intend to keep the events of the games as semi-canon, though they don't happen in my stories precisely as depicted there. Though, those events will be sort of offscreen in the background of my stories, because ultimately they're not super-important. Which, yes, is a strange statement, but I promise someday it'll make sense.
    Also, I like the designs and basic personas of some of the Gym Leaders/Elite Four, and I feel it's not too much of a challenge to flesh them out. As of now, Volkner and Jasmine play an important role in Lamb to the Slaughter, and Lance, Karen, Cynthia, Roxanne, Norman, Steven, and Clair are definitely plot-relevant to further stories.
    I will be taking massive liberties with legendaries. I have to say, THERE IS ONLY ONE OF EACH, EFF YOU ANIME. stupid stupid stupid.

Wasn't the Ten Year Old Trainer thing only exclusive to the Anime?

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

The Dude Abides

I sure hope so. But I can see the game protagonists up until Black/White as 10. But Hilbert/Hilda and Rosa/whatshisface are definitely not 10, more like 13.
    can't remember off the top of my head what the deal with Special was.

Legendaries earn their status as legends by being the few of their species that venture outside their natural habitat. These habitats are far too dangerous for human exploration. Hence old cultures decided that these Pokémon are legendary in that they are the only ones of their kind seen in lands hospitable to humans.

Pokémon attack other Pokémon and humans in order to shed excess energy. Energy tolerance varies by Pokémon species. Scientists discovered how to capture the released energy, and eventually engineered the first Technical Machines.
    Last edited by Elric von Bek; 28th August 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Blog Entries

I also make the cities and towns much larger than depicted in the games. They're on par with what's shown in the anime.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

I make Technical Machines and Hidden Machines rare in my fic. You know, to make sure I'm not relying so much on Macguffins. They're given out by Gym Leaders and even the Elite Four as victory prizes.

Cheren and Bianca are Team Plasma grunts who frequently clash with Hilda.

Some side characters like Fennel are dropped.
    Last edited by matt0044; 29th August 2014 at 11:37 AM.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Not sure if it's a liberty or just expanding of an idea, but here's mine

In R/B Chapter 3, the Heroes faced off against a Poacher. When writing it, it made be think about the Morality of catching Pokemon, and seeing that Pokemon is set in a Fantasy World then concepts of morality must be differant then in our world. However, catching Pokemon from the wild is ok in that world, but the anime protrays poachers as doing wrong, so what makes them differant from a Trainer? True in the Anime they are doing it for the money and you can make the arugment that they are doing it for the wrong reasons, but there should be something more to it. Then I looked at Real World Poachers, and the fact they are Killing Animals for Fur (Among other things) to sell in the black market, so I used that for that story's Villian.
    While on Subject, seeing that all Pokemon cleary have a degree of sentience, it makes Poachers killing them for money way more evil then what RL Poachers do
    Last edited by TrainerRyan; 6th September 2014 at 05:30 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Here are some other things I've done:
    - The Pokedex is, for the most part, inaccurate.
    - Most Legendaries can breed, but the reason why they won't breed at the Day Care is because they refuse to breed in captivity.
    - Pokemon vary in size. Pokemon larger or smaller than usual exist.
    - More powerful Legendaries can shapeshift (and have more freedom of doing it than Ditto).
    - Legendaries are used to people trying to summon them every so often.
    - Arceus CANNOT be caught no matter what.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

After such long discussion (or should I say just a listing of so-called "liberties" from each writers) of the topic of this thread, I just had a thought coming up in my head.

The exact same question was also asked in another forum, where the replies in there were much more in-depth into to topic of "liberty and freedom" of creativity of a writer. It is obvious that fanfic writers write fics based on a canon work. But the canon itself, is not a dead set universal law to be follow unquestioningly, rather in general speaking it is more like a setting norms there to provide reference materials for basis building of one's story. Any other information the canon didn't provided explicitly or alluded suggestively, are canon plot holes or simply just blank spaces. We fanfic writers are free to fill and work in that blank spaces provided within the canons, expand the canon settings by providing our own headcanon theories, or even explain the things that were non-existing within canons.

For the expansion of canon, I'm sure many Pokemon fans had ever trying to explain the mechanism of Pokeball. Well, there doesn't exist an official and rational explanation about the mechanism of Pokeball. That's why we can see different portrayals in different Pokemon canon works.
    In anime, Pokeballs expand in size when you use it, absorb the Pokemon by firstly somehow transform the Pokemon into some form of energy, when recall a Pokemon, a red beam is shoot to the target Pokemon and absorb the Pokemon as a form of energy. There are many fan theories floating around to explain this phenomenon, some even go super in-depth into quantum mechanics and physics theories that I don't even understand...... That, is expansion of canon, and yet headcanons of each theory presenter.

For the non-existing things in canon, let's say politics within the Pokemon world. IIRC, these things are never ever being mentioned or even alluded for once within any of the Pokemon canon, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist any sort of politics affairs, nor any form of government within the Pokemon world. One is welcome to make up a government within the Pokemon world, and write a politic story about it. If not politic story, one can still design the government and respective law suits if your story requires it. That is part of the unexplored blank space of the canon, and fanfic writers have the freedom to expand upon it.

But more than often, fanfic writers doesn't like to follow all the materials provided in one canon. Some choose to follow a bit of information from one canon, borrow a bit from another canon, or even make up some original materials. Author set up a complete blank slate, create a basis by filling in selective canon materials required by the story, and create a story based on this custom platform. In this way, author had much more freedom than just expansion of canon.

The very simple alternative universe fic is already such kind that disregarding certain elements in a canon. So simple as making Ash Ketchum a competent Pokemon trainer worth to be Pokemon Master, or having TR ruling the world.
    But for more or less, I think every Pokemon fanfic writer had tried already to disregard certain elements provided in canon materials. Such as altering the battle system, alter the graphic portrayal of certain moves, or changing the identity of Pokemon Trainer itself.

The good thing is, Pokemon had so many different canons that each differs significant from one another. From the characterization of Pokemon and human, to the cultures and rules of the world itself. Because it is inconsistent, alternatively it also suggests that it doesn't have a consistent portrayal, author is suggestively encouraged to create your own Pokemon world, with its own rule and culture, also your own region, your own fakemon, or your own history timeline.

Very few, but yet it is not prohibited. Go completely original, do what the canon had never done before! I don't mean journey fics in original region with original history and culture filled with original fakemons. I mean original story idea that doesn't resemble any of the canon story.
    No Pokemon in your Pokemon fic? Fine, just provide an explanation why there is no Pokemon in your fic. Be it a post-apocalyptic story, or Pokemon massacre happened in the past, or all Pokemon transformed into Poke-human.
    The personified Pokemon romance story? That's also fine. A celebrity legendary Poke-human fell in love with a common civilian Poke-human... Whatever. (I already saw there is truly such a fic like that in another forum)
    Human transform into Pokemon and battle? Sure why not? Pokemon ReBURST already tried it. Well, one can say that is canon work, but it is really not part of the official work registered under Pokemon Company or being trademarked. I personally view it as an "officially published fan work".
    A massive Pokemon war story on a global scale? Sounds interesting. If the author can pull it off nicely. Let it be as dark as possible, because it is war!
    Crossover with another franchise? Of course possible! Even the official Pokemon games had already tried in crossover story (Pokemon Conquest, and upcoming Pokken), why not try other crossovers in fanfics? My fic is Pokemon x Digimon.

TL;DR. So to put it shortly. Even it is fanfic based on some canon works, ANYTHING GOES!
    It is the liberty of author choose to follow the canon material word by word.
    It is also the liberty of author choose to only follow some of the selective canon material.
    And it is also the liberty of author choose not to follow any of the provided canon material, but create one's own foundation.

The only things that bounds your fanfic is not the canon itself, but the creativity limit of the writer.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 5th September 2014 at 02:41 PM.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

The Dude Abides

Excellent post. I agree with all of it.
    Largely because I have an expansive headcanon that has been snowballing for years into something massive and elaborate. And every time I write, I surprise myself with how I mess with or conform to canon in some way or another.
    Really, I love the challenge of writing with Pokemon, of making the whole thing interesting, and treating the concept seriously.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Do not worry about does your does your headcanons contradicts with the canon or not, because official Pokemon canons never ever give explicit details about its world, so we never knew is our headcanons wrong or right. As long as it makes sense to yourself and to your fanfic, then it will be fine.

For me, I also have my own headcanons about how the Pokeball should work, how the cities and towns run in the Pokemon world, also how the Pokemon Trainer system works. However, my headcanons are rather contradicting with the anime portrayal, because my headcanons are rather "realistic", I incorporate a lot of real-world rules into my own PokeWorld, whereas the PokeWorld inside my head is no more the PokeWorld from any of the canon. But I would not say mine is 'incorrect', because there is no 'correct' portrayal of Pokemon world. As I had said before, even the canon is inconsistent on this issue, hence anything is possible.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 7th September 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

The Dude Abides

One of the biggies is that I never write a city or town as "Goldenrod City". Everything will refer to it as "Goldenrod".
    I'm toying with not capitalizing "Pokemon" most of the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast