Controversial Ideas In Fanfic? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controversial Ideas In Fanfic?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Controversial Ideas In Fanfic?

Like everyone said before, it depends on what it is and how you execute it. So long as you're careful, people will either like it or not care that much.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

I will divide this theme to two sections: Fanfic that contains some events relates to controversial ideas, and fanfic that itself is based on controversial idea(s).

For the former one, there is no problem at all to have one or two things in the fic that gives or relates to controversial idea, as long as the whole fic itself does not become controversial, and is kept to the correct rating.

As for example, if you write a fic having antagonist like Team Rocket trying world domination, treating Pokemon like nothing more than tools, then the existence of such antagonist itself is already controversial. But yet, you might need it in your fic due to the story. So, something controversial is unavoidable.
    BUT! this doesn't mean your whole fic will become controversial, unless the readers like to argue by zooming extra large into that single issue.

By the way, almost all the Japanese anime rated for TEENS has at least one or two thing within the story that gives or related to some controversial idea. It might not be significant such that you can see it directly or that they say it straight out, but you can "feel" it through many things during the plot. Still, Japanese anime is favoured by many people in the world, with or without dispute.
    If they can do it, why we can't?

For the latter one, such fanfic (in fact, any kinds of writing, not only fanfic) is already controversial by itself. Such fiction was written solely for the purpose of to express a controversial idea, and they will have the story plot highly related to such theme. Such fic (more correctly, any writing) will surely be flamed very quick after someone had read it.

"Controversial Idea" is a general term which literally means ideas that can causes arguments or dispute, usually it is ideas that general public antagonize. Racism, sexuality, politics, environmental issues, slavery, weapon/arms, and even economics to some extent are all examples of controversial ideas in real world.

If you relates these themes mildly using minor events in your fic, then it will be no problem at all. If you relates these themes by exaggerate it into the main story plot, then your fic will have very high potential to get flamed.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

I love you BMGf friends Milo†icgirl McQüeen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Josh. Mainly becuase I am seriously doing Of Mice and Men right now and I have an English GSCE test of that in a feww weeks and a controlled assesmnet in three weeks of that.

In there ideas such as prostituion and themes of racism such as Negro and stuff does appear. But again Steinbeck utilizes it since its beneficial to the story as in that period of time, immigrants did not know better and swearing is how they spoke.

So basically you just have to find the balance that suits you and you don't think spoils the nature of the story (and if you say beforehand).

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

My opinion.... fuck politically correct.

If you think it floats the boat, use it and people will probably won't care and even laugh at it.

The ones that don't and are not critiquing trying to help you are just losers with no other hobby.

Blog Entries

Hey, if you want to write it, go ahead... And ignore the people who complain about it (assuming they do not have a legit complaint, meaning that said idea swallows the plot or etc.)

Also, be careful not to add controversy just to be dark, it rarely works out well.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12