Concerning Character

Thread: Concerning Character

Blog Entries

Default Concerning Character

I'm planning a fic that uses the in game trainers you play as, and I'm aware that these trainers are also portrayed in pokemon mangas that I do not read. My question is, are people going to get mad if the trainer from DPP pops up and does not act like they do in TV shows, comics, etc.
    I need to know in advance for some apparent reason.
    Black: Alecia 2193 7035 0253
    SoulSilver: Whimsy 2881 3823 5745
    RADIO's Warehouse: Where all the components for a Pokemon Master can be found.
    Stories: Fossilized Love RandoMinds Transfer the Trainer

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Concerning Character

Not unless you specifically say that the fic is supposed to be in the same 'verse as the TV show, comic, etc. Especially in the case of the games, I severely doubt that people will mind if you made May a lesbian candy-maker or Lucas a hobo who's really good at croquet. They're your characters, nobody should stop you from having your way with them (that sounds weird).

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

The manga characters such as Ruby, Sapphire, Dia, Pearl and so on from Adventures are entirely separate characters from their game counterparts, so any characterisation they have (which is a lot in most cases) can be entirely disregarded when writing about the game characters. The likes of Brendan, Lucas, Dawn etc are pretty much blank slates when it comes to writing fanfiction. You can do what you like with them, as Aether above me.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Nah, I don't think people will mind that much. The in game characters are totally out there. You can do whatever you want... For the most part. There are... I don't know... certain personalities that they seem to have (in my opinion)... Like Lyra: she seems to be the happy-go-lucky type. Red is quiet- very quiet. Blue is a little (okay, so maybe very) arrogant... Umm... Lucas seems very dry to me... Dawn kinda ditzy. Hilda seems like a tomboy, or a girl with some attitude.

Anyway- I wish you lots of success with your fic! :)

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your help, :)
    I started writing the first part. It's a bit short though. Maybe the next part will be longer. I called it Transfer the Trainers.
    Black: Alecia 2193 7035 0253
    SoulSilver: Whimsy 2881 3823 5745
    RADIO's Warehouse: Where all the components for a Pokemon Master can be found.
    Stories: Fossilized Love RandoMinds Transfer the Trainer

Some people may actually appreciate the notion as since the player characters/rivals have artwork, it would help readers visualize what your characters look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

As people have already said, anime and manga counterparts differ from each other enormously already.

I always recommend making your characters, your characters. I generally base them exclusively on the games and take my own artistic license from what I see there.