Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne_Darkrose View Post
    To MegaLugion: I was talking more of a literal understanding of the pokemon, as in they can actually translate the pokemon's literal vocalizations verbatim. Emotions and body language I can believe much more, and with the introduction of aura in the pokemon canon I can see it happening, but not literally understanding a pokemon's speech. Unless they pull a meowth and can speak the human languages.
    Oh, yes, I totally understand you. I was basically trying to illustrate one particular way it could work. Or at least seemed to.

Registered User Thorne_Darkrose's Avatar

Visit Thorne_Darkrose's Youtube Channel

I like the empathic take on it actually, I mean the whole Aura thing makes sense too. I've read a ton of fics though where the main character just for no reason can understand what pokemon are saying through their vocalizations, and I just got irritated with it because theres not even a reason for it. They just sort of know how, and that sort of no explanation twist just gets on my nerves lol. There are ways I think understanding pokemon can be done and make sense, like reading body language, facial expressions, and even mind to mind contact when it comes to Psychic type pokemon. Just not having a reason at all for understanding pokemon speech just doesn't make sense to me.

Guys, they understand their pokemon because it demonstrates how awesome of a trainer they're meant to be because destiny!

I think this was mentioned earlier, but I love how ten year-olds go out camping by themselves without so much as a knife or a bar of soap and still arrive at each town looking fah-bu-laassssss and ready to battle.

Blog Entries

I've read a ton of fics though where the main character just for no reason can understand what pokemon are saying through their vocalizations, and I just got irritated with it because theres not even a reason for it. They just sort of know how, and that sort of no explanation twist just gets on my nerves lol.
    With my BW fic, I actually give this trait to my main character BUT I make into a twist which is revealed later on and since it's based on the Black & White games, I'm sure that you'll neeeeeever see it coming. /sarcasm.

It's not there to make her out to be someone overtly awesome but I guarantee that it's has a purpose.

Blog Entries

One other cliche I find moronic is that that when the Human characters fight, they fight clean (no groin shots, spitting into the person's face, eye shots, etc.)
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    One other cliche I find moronic is that that when the Human characters fight, they fight clean (no groin shots, spitting into the person's face, eye shots, etc.)
    Pokemon battle, especially the battle between trainers is considered to be a kind of sport in the PokeWorld. Where is the sporting spirit if you fight dirtily? BTW, if a trainer does fight dirtily, very obviously he/she will have a great chance of becoming infamous (by real world rumour logic). I don't think a normal sportsman(woman) will risk his/her reputation just for a victory at one time... Unless you as the fic author wanted to do this.

Edit: But dirty fighting can made an exception to the villains, especially the ones like Team Rocket. But not for the hypocrite like Team Plasma.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not enough violence for you? That in itself can be a cliche if there's way too much and unnecessary violence in a fic if it doesn't contribute to the story.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

There are no cliches, only poorly attempted archetypes. Pokemon has iconic archetypes, and I feel if fans wish to incorporate those into their fan fiction then more power to them. The catch, hehe, is properly taking advantage of those archetypes and twisting them in new, more creative avenues. We're all writing Pokefiction because of our love of this world and its vast characters and stories, so adapting and using those same defined avenues doesn't make you an inherently lesser writer, or a cliche ridden filth. It's taking the freedom and opportunity of fan fiction, and then hiding behind those archetypes where they become cliche and tired because you're too afraid to create your own twist on the formula and be rejected. It's all about diving into those freedoms.

Now, are there archetypes I tire of? Most definitely; The Pocket Monsters speaking, for instance, is a tired example of writers who fail to capitalize on the unique relationship and bond between trainer and monsters, that of one that transcends language barriers.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like the empathic take on it actually, I mean the whole Aura thing makes sense too. I've read a ton of fics though where the main character just for no reason can understand what pokemon are saying through their vocalizations, and I just got irritated with it because theres not even a reason for it. They just sort of know how, and that sort of no explanation twist just gets on my nerves lol. There are ways I think understanding pokemon can be done and make sense, like reading body language, facial expressions, and even mind to mind contact when it comes to Psychic type pokemon. Just not having a reason at all for understanding pokemon speech just doesn't make sense to me.
    It seems everyone loves being N.

Another cliche that annoys me a bit is that if the main character is a young boy, then the traveling partner is always a girl - precisely a Misty clone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    Pokemon battle, especially the battle between trainers is considered to be a kind of sport in the PokeWorld. Where is the sporting spirit if you fight dirtily? BTW, if a trainer does fight dirtily, very obviously he/she will have a great chance of becoming infamous (by real world rumour logic). I don't think a normal sportsman(woman) will risk his/her reputation just for a victory at one time... Unless you as the fic author wanted to do this.

Edit: But dirty fighting can made an exception to the villains, especially the ones like Team Rocket. But not for the hypocrite like Team Plasma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Not enough violence for you? That in itself can be a cliche if there's way too much and unnecessary violence in a fic if it doesn't contribute to the story.
    This isn't referring to sporting battles. This is referring to street fights like what the Yas and Kas gyms did in the Kanto episode. Hell, they even called it a street fight.

And yes, many of my stories do feature a lot of violence in them but honestly, I'm writing war stories.

And fighting dirty is something that pretty much all my characters do -- be they hero or be they villain.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

It annoys me to a heavy degree that everyone decides to have their MC have a popular/rare Pokemon like Haxorus, Lucario, Garchomp, Eevee, just because. And of course they evolve quickly and easily, which makes little sense, starters are likely given to MCs because they're easy to control and pose little threat to a new trainer. The fact some trainers just are given the likes of Garchomp makes little to no sense considering a massive, large Dragon Shark would be hard to control without prior experience or use correctly and most likely wouldn't be obedient to someone so green.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Losing at a gym, training, and winning in the rematch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Isn't that how it'd naturally go? Plus, if said training is pretty significant to the character's development as a trainer and person, then I'd like it.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah but it's still overdone.

-Ash is betrayed by friends, runs away, comes back more powerful than ever!

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I have never come across that in any fic. ever, I literally haven't. I don't see anything wrong with it, if it's a badge-collecting fic. badges and gyms are going to be an integral part of the character's improvement since they're like benchmark test that showcase how far the trainer and their Pokemon have come.

Yeah but it's still overdone.

-Ash is betrayed by friends, runs away, comes back more powerful than ever!
    I think most Ash fics/Ash carbon fics are terrible and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast