Chase scenes

Thread: Chase scenes

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Chase scenes

So my next episode of "White Fire, Black Thunder, Silver Song" is mostly a chase scene, with a second battle between the vampire that confronted Blair and Whitlea at the end of the previous episode, which sets up the next episode where they drive said vampire away.

So how can I write a longer and better chase scene?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Traceur
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chase scenes

I don't follow your story, so my response may be a bit vague; I apologize in advance for this.

But whenever I write chase scenes, I have a lot of cause and effect. The chasee does something to get away, and the chaser has to react to catch up. As long as the chase isn't, say, on an open prarie, then there are usually also multiple routes- the chaser could duck down an alley to close the distance faster, or it could backfire and they could end up further away or even lose who they're chasing.

Hope this helped.

Blog Entries

Well, if it helps, I want my party to start in a town, and end the chase (by fighting off their pursuer) in a forest, which in turn sets up the first dungeon they have to explore

Traceur
    Blog Entries

Is this a modern town (i.e. buildings are a few stories high) or like a medieval town (i.e. shorter buildings)?

Also, when making chase scenes... I often visualize Assassin's Creed and similar games >.>

And for fighting off pursuers, you'll generally have the runner go through as many obstacles as possible- sharp turns, grabbing people and throwing them at the pursuer, breaking down carts and causing a scramble- anything that makes it harder for the chaser to go through than it was for the runner.

Blog Entries

This is a fantastic version of the Pokeworld--at the moment, they are in the equivalent of Nacrene City

Traceur
    Blog Entries

So lots of warehouses, right? Lead a chase through a few of them- take a sharp turn into an open door, jump around on some crates to get up to the second floor/catwalks, run around, get down, cause a big mess in the process- think knocked over crates, contents spilled everywhere, etc. How flashy it can be depends on the acrobaticism(? is this a word?) of the person/people fleeing. If they're going to have to stay on the ground, then just pushing over some crates and blocking the path with a large machine or Pokemon would be fine. If they're good at moving in 3 dimensions, then they can really get up and go through the woodwork.

Blog Entries

In addition, two out of three know how to use magic--Blair is a traditional spellcaster, and Lyra casts spells through music (a talent that is pretty rare in this world. Her talent of spell-singing is even rarer in that she does it in the language of the gods of the world)

Traceur
    Blog Entries

In that case, you could have them toss spells back at their pursuer, and also maybe knock larger things over.

Blog Entries

I plan to start the chase by having the minstrel sing a haste spell to speed the chasees up