• The Common Noun method

5 11.36%
  • Other (specify in thread)

7 15.91%
  • Huh? What's capitalization?

2 4.55%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Capitalization Rules for Pokemon? (Discussion Topic)

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    I find it grates a little to see attacks or items capitalised.
    "Pikachu, use tackle!" I used to do this too, until I realized that tackle wasn't being used as a verb, and certainly not as a common noun.

Similarly, a Potion isn't quite what you'd call a potion.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I tend to get around that by not really specifying which attacks are being used, sometimes. While most of the time it's just 'Magmar, use Flamethrower' etc, I tend to give the Pokemon a bit more freedom and realism with generic commands like 'Crush it!' or 'Tear that Zangoose to bits!'. While not strictly related to capitalisation, I find it avoids having awkwardly-capitalised attack names everywhere. While I don't exactly go out of my way to avoid them, I will skirt around them if I can. That said, the vast majority of moves in my fic do get named.

I did write a full battle scene once in which only one move got named, iirc, and it seemed to work okay. I think move names should, on the whole, stay capitalised and properly named to avoid confusion between similar attacks. The way some techniques are described, they could be using Ember, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Will-o-wisp, or any other similar move.

this post is not coherent what am i doing
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    I find it grates a little to see attacks or items capitalised.
    "Pikachu, use tackle!" I used to do this too, until I realized that tackle wasn't being used as a verb, and certainly not as a common noun.

Similarly, a Potion isn't quite what you'd call a potion.
    That's a fair point regarding moves being proper nouns. You're certainl right that in that context, they should be capitalised. The thing is, must they be proper nouns in the first place? I've always treated them as common nouns, i.e. "used a thunderbolt". I also like the technique Misheard Whisper has drawn attention to, where the attack is not explicitly named; I find it does give a greater sense of realism, and is more dynamic than formulaic, inflexible moves. Treating attacks as proper nouns seems artificial, and I prefer to find way around needing to do so.

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic on potions/Potions. Is it not just a word for 'medicine'? I wouldn't say "I need to use a Painkiller" or anything. Care to elaborate?

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic on potions/Potions. Is it not just a word for 'medicine'? I wouldn't say "I need to use a Painkiller" or anything. Care to elaborate?
    I think it's more like a brand-name... like how you say "I need to use the Advil" and not "I need to use the advil."
    "Potion" (capitalised) is completely different from a "potion" (which is usually a drink, a lot of times magical, whereas Potions are spray-on medicine manufactured by Silph Co. / other companies). My guess is that they took the name from Final Fantasy / similar RPGs who call the healing items "Potions".
    However, it could just be an alternate definition which doesn't correspond to the real-world definition (like how "evolution" isn't talking about the concept we know in real life as "evolution"). In that case it'd be okay to keep it lowercase.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a fair point regarding moves being proper nouns. You're certainly right that in that context, they should be capitalised. The thing is, must they be proper nouns in the first place? I've always treated them as common nouns, i.e. "used a thunderbolt". I also like the technique Misheard Whisper has drawn attention to, where the attack is not explicitly named; I find it does give a greater sense of realism, and is more dynamic than formulaic, inflexible moves. Treating attacks as proper nouns seems artificial, and I prefer to find way around needing to do so.
    Same here. I don't like using those proper nouns either, and I'll often go and do "Squirtle, tackle the Pidgey!", because tackle is an actual tackling motion, and not just the name of an attack.

Essentially what Dˁnyḏnnw said. Something like "Parlyz Heal", I would simply call a paralysis healer. No caps needed. And things like Poké Ball are brand names even in the Pokémon world. Kind of like how there's a bit of a dispute between "photoshopped" and "Photoshopped", or "kleenex" and "Kleenex". Do you decapitalize the genericized brand or not?
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Agreed on moves as verbs and 'paralysis healer', which are entirely sensible. The words of Dˁnyḏnnw are indeed wise, but as with any widely used product, potions would become a genericised trademark very quickly. As I understand it, such words are not capitalised: here in the UK, vacuum cleaners are almost exclusively referred to as 'hoovers' - lowercase - due to the Hoover Company's former dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    Essentially what Dˁnyḏnnw said. Something like "Parlyz Heal", I would simply call a paralysis healer. No caps needed. And things like Poké Ball are brand names even in the Pokémon world. Kind of like how there's a bit of a dispute between "photoshopped" and "Photoshopped", or "kleenex" and "Kleenex". Do you decapitalize the genericized brand or not?
    As you may have expected, I do not capitalise the generic name. Let's say I had a Silph or Devon representative explaining the merits of his company's newest capture device. Under such circumstances, I would refer to it as a Poké/Great/Ultra/etc Ball. In most cases, however, I will simply write 'pokéball,' which I imagine would be the standard form in-universe when not referring to a specific product. (A little like the way any given cola drink, even a Pepsi, will be said to be a 'coke,' don't you think?) That, or 'capture device,' ha. Does that seem sound to you?

Default Re: Capitalization Rules for Pokemon? (Discussion Topic)

I think it's author's choice. I personally don't capitalize pokemon names unless it's their given name - Ash's Pikachu for example - but I do capitalize attack names because they're used as names/titles for the attack.
    But Farla tends to be pretty bitchy anyway, so I'd take what she says with a grain of salt.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

I don't capitalize pokemon names in my stories unless the species name is also their given name. Most items remain uncapitalized as well, unless they're types of Pokeballs or Potions. I do it this way because I feel that Pokeballs and Potions are trademarked items within universe, while capitalizing species names just seems unnecessary to me.

However, I do capitalize attacks because I think of the attack names as titles or actual names.
    TheLlama likes this.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

I capitalize the names, but I don't capitalize the attacks or the word "pokemon" in general.

Do you you capitalize the actual word "pokeball", @RaiThunder;?

Usually I don't capitalize items at all, as they are generic, mass-produced items referred to colloquially. So dusk ball, super potion... anything; it's just names. A dusk ball is a specialized variety of pokeball in the same sense a boot is a specialized variety of footwear. I wouldn't capitalize "boot" because it's a variety of footwear, so I wouldn't capitalize "dusk ball" either.

However, if they had brands, like the "Silph Co Duskball" versus the "Kurt Enterprises Night Ball" or whatever, then those brand names would be capitalized. Both may be considered the same type of pokeball (specialized for capture in dark areas), just like a boot from Nike and a boot from Puma are both the same type of footwear - specialized for, well, whatever boots are made for (walkin', perhaps?)
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

I got this from Bulbapedia and I use this when reviewing stories that have Pokemon in them.

The word Pokémon is always capitalized, as well as the names of Pokémon species. So are nouns starting with "Poké", such as Pokéblock, PokéNav and Poké Flute. Note, however, that there is no one common trend for spelling of words beginning with "Poké" - they can be written as a compound word, with the second part of the word capitalized or uncapitalized, or as two words with the second word capitalized. Also note that this applies to many nouns starting with "Pokémon", such as with Pokémon Trainer.
    Items and all words in them are always capitalized; they are considered proper nouns for the purposes of Bulbapedia. "Leftovers", "Escape Rope", or "Water Stone" are all correct as written; a page would not be titled "Water stone". Case should match that of the game text, such as the DeepSeaTooth.
    Locations should also be capitalized in a manner consistent with English grammar; Ruins of Alph has the A in Alph always capitalized, while numbered routes, such as Route 101, Route 217, and so on, are proper nouns and must have the R capitalized.
    Specific terminology is different; leveling up and legendary Pokémon have a lowercase L, as "starter Pokémon" would have a lowercase "s" (but, of course, a capital P in Pokémon).
    Specific types are called "the Water type" and "the Rock type" when used as nouns and "Water-type" and "Rock-type" when used as adjectives, while their subject pages are Water (type) and Rock (type), respectively. Squirtle is a "Water-type" is not correct; Squirtle is a Water type and Squirtle is a Water-type Pokémon are.
    The plural of "Pokémon" is "Pokémon", as is the plural of every Pokémon species the same as the singular, much like moose or sheep.
    Evolutionary levels should be designated as "unevolved", "first evolution", and "second evolution" for Pokémon that have undergone zero, one, and two evolutions respectively during their development. TCG terminology of "basic Pokémon", "stage 1 Pokémon" and "stage 2 Pokémon" should not spill over into other media, as Pikachu and several other Pokémon are considered basic in the TCG sense, yet are Pokémon that have undergone one evolution in their lifetimes, making them first-evolution Pokémon, more akin to Charmeleon than unevolved Pokémon, which their pre-evolutions are.
    It has a bit more then capitalization in there but that is what I use. (yes I know I don't write but I still review)

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I agree that it's up to the author's choice. Personally, I always capitalise Pokémon names and attack names. I may be less strict with attack names at times, but usually I always capitalise.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Wow, Rai, you must have dug deep for this necromancy.

Anyway, this thread actually predates the Writer's Block, which is why it isn't already in there, but discussion topics should be in the Block, so I'm moving it there now.

EDIT: After moving this thread into the Block, I realised there was another capitalisation thread in there (though that one merely two years old, rather than three) so I have merged them. You can see the resultant mess throughout this thread. Still, feel free to discuss capitalisation in this thread.
    Last edited by Gama; 14th May 2012 at 12:35 PM.

I actually do capitalize the word Pokeball @Llama_Guy, because in this world they are corporate owned item in the world I write in. I capitalize other items like 'Potion' and 'Pokedex' as well. I decide whether to capitalize based on whether the product is owned by a company or not. So cheri berry couldn't be capitalized but Super Potion would be, in the same way Advil would be. Dusk Ball is a corporate owned and licensed product of Silph Co. and as such I capitalize it the way I would a Macbook.
    Review Exchange

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456