Capitalization Rules for Pokemon? (Discussion Topic) - Page 5

View Poll Results: Which convention?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Bulbapedia method

    11 25.00%
  • The Context-dependent Bulbapedia method

    18 40.91%
  • The Pokemon-only method

    1 2.27%
  • The Common Noun method

    5 11.36%
  • Other (specify in thread)

    7 15.91%
  • Huh? What's capitalization?

    2 4.55%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 89
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Capitalization Rules for Pokemon? (Discussion Topic)

  1. #61
    ^^ Safe-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    I use the common noun method except for the fact that I always capitalize the word "Pokémon"

    COMING SOON!

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    I don't write fanfics, but I use The Bulbapedia method. The only two that really make sense to me are The Bulbapedia method and The Pokemon-only method (the first being preferable... the second seems a bit odd at times)...
    The Context-dependent Bulbapedia method just looks inconsistent, and The Common Noun method looks incorrect.

    The only difference I use is MissingNo. .. . I call him "MissingNo.", the Bulbapedia spelling is "Missingno."

    Besides capitalizing Pokémon species names because it's official (therefore, correct), I do think that it makes sense because in real life we capitalize the "scientific name" of any species... and Pokémon are only ever shown to have a single name whether it's in common use or scientific use so it might very well be correct capitalized.

  3. #63
    Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Summoner's Rift
    Posts
    697
    Blog Entries
    16
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Besides capitalizing Pokémon species names because it's official (therefore, correct), I do think that it makes sense because in real life we capitalize the "scientific name" of any species... and Pokémon are only ever shown to have a single name whether it's in common use or scientific use so it might very well be correct capitalized.
    The thing is, though, we don't exactly. A housecat is a Felis domesticus, we are Homo sapiens, and a Western gorilla is a Gorilla gorilla (yes, really. There's even a subspecies called Gorilla gorilla gorilla). While the genus is capitalised, the actual species name of the creature itself is not. So we're kind of back where we started on that count.

    I just use the 'Bulbapedia method', if you will, because it looks weird to me seeing them put forward as common nouns. One, because I'm used to the other way. Two, because I kind of feel that it takes some of the significance and specialness away from these fantastical creatures. But hey, that's just how I feel.
    Last edited by Seizon Senryaku; 10th April 2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: EXTRA. FULL. STOPS. EVERYWHERE.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

    'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

  4. #64
    remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    2,211
    Blog Entries
    24

    Follow jda95 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    I use context dependent with the exception of move names. No matter what, I always capitalize those.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Besides capitalizing Pokémon species names because it's official (therefore, correct), I do think that it makes sense because in real life we capitalize the "scientific name" of any species... and Pokémon are only ever shown to have a single name whether it's in common use or scientific use so it might very well be correct capitalized.
    The thing is, though, we don't exactly. A housecat is a Felis domesticus, we are Homo sapiens, and a Western gorilla is a Gorilla gorilla (yes, really. There's even a subspecies called Gorilla gorilla gorilla). While the genus is capitalised, the actual species name of the creature itself is not. So we're kind of back where we started on that count.
    Well that's what I meant, the "scientific name" is a 2-worded name consisting of the genus and the species.
    Pokémon, while referred to in the context of the games and anime as "species", may not literally be "species" by our definition. So they wouldn't necesarily need to be lowercase. Although they might... we don't exactly know what they are. I'm just saying that in real life if a scientist is talking about a cat in a scientific setting, he uses "Felis domesticus" (with a capital "F"). If a scientist, in the Pokémon world, refers to a Meowth, he calls it "Meowth" (or, at least it's never been shown to be alled anything different).

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    The second one I guess, but I tend to use a difference between Pokémon Trainer and a trainer.

  7. #67
    Registered User Shadow Victini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Treasure Town!
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Always. There's this person on ff.net who says you don't capitalize the names of Pokémon, but you do, so whenever I see that very harsh critic review, it makes me go 'Dammit, you ARE supposed to capitalize them!'
    Basically, I write like this:
    'Kris barely hid a smirk. This Youngster Joey kid obviously hadn't heard of the existence of base stats.
    ...Well, all things considered, she'd only heard of them because of the many, many times Gold dragged herself and Lyra into his house just to watch Trainer's Today on the TV at 5.00 PM sharp.
    "Heh. We'll see that. C'mon out, Megan!"
    "Chikoriiiii!"
    The two gave a quick Trainer's glare to each other and began to order their Pokémon.
    "Rattata, use Growl!"
    "Megan, Razor Leaf!" '
    Last edited by Shadow Victini; 11th April 2012 at 11:32 AM.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic57049_1.gif

  8. #68
    Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Summoner's Rift
    Posts
    697
    Blog Entries
    16
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Victini View Post
    Always. There's this person on ff.net who says you don't capitalize the names of Pokémon, but you do, so whenever I see that very harsh critic review, it makes me go 'Dammit, you ARE supposed to capitalize them!'
    Farla has a point, you know. You can't say that you ARE supposed to capitalise them because the only thing we have for precedent is the Pokemon series itself, which capitalises them because they're trademarked names. In-universe, they're not trademarked at all, so whether to capitalise them or not is really up to the individual authors. Just because someone doesn't subscribe to the same system you do isn't a reason to slag them off.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Farla either, but it's got nothing to do with her view on capitalisation.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

    'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

  9. #69
    Registered User Shadow Victini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Treasure Town!
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Oh no, I don't SAY anything. That's just what I think. I've never actually said anything like that.
    I'll change my post to reflect that or something.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic57049_1.gif

  10. #70
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    If you're going for a hard realistic fic, though, it'd be proper not to, because animal species names are not proper names, and thus are not capitalized.
    If you're going hard realistic, you'd make up your own common names for the creatures based on already-existing nouns that then wouldn't be capitalized. Just sayin' :P

    e.g. Skarmory = "steel-winged bird".
    Last edited by Zekurom; 16th April 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  11. #71
    Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    18,276
    Blog Entries
    658
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    If you're going for a hard realistic fic, though, it'd be proper not to, because animal species names are not proper names, and thus are not capitalized.
    If you're going hard realistic, you'd make up your own common names for the creatures based on already-existing nouns that then wouldn't be capitalized. Just sayin' :P

    e.g. Skarmory = "steel-winged bird".
    Well, some allowances have to be made to establish that, yes, this is in fact a Pokemon story. In any case, some real-life species, like the hoatzin, have names that are quite fantastic.

  12. #72
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    I prefer not establishing Pokémon in the setting a priori if that's the case, like I'm doing in The Rise of Silph (which I'm still rewriting heavily). In any case, if you do want to use names like "the hoatzin", at least make an effort to create your own words for such animals.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  13. #73
    Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    18,276
    Blog Entries
    658
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    I prefer not establishing Pokémon in the setting a priori if that's the case, like I'm doing in The Rise of Silph (which I'm still rewriting heavily). In any case, if you do want to use names like "the hoatzin", at least make an effort to create your own words for such animals.
    I'm not sure what you mean. The hoatzin is an actual species of bird; I was using its name as an example of a fantastic name in the real world. My point was, it isn't always necessary for a common name to be a description of the animal. Therefore, using the series names of Pokemon doesn't break realism too heavily.

  14. #74
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    Meh, it's just personal preference.

    And what I meant is, although you say "the hoatzin" is a real word, I mean, don't use words like "diglett", which exist only in the franchise, to describe those animals, unless you can somehow manage to come up with such a word a posteriori (i.e. from some property of Diglett itself), if you're trying to do hard, detailed realism.

    Otherwise, don't bother with naming conventions altogether. Unless you're going for cultural and linguistic realism (in which case simply leaving names uncapitalized would not be enough), I don't see why you'd have to leave the names uncapitalized at all to do "hard realism". As you say, some allowances have to be made.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 16th April 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  15. #75
    Wordsmith unrepentantAuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    United Kingdom/Hoenn
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Capitalisation of Pokemon names

    I find it grates a little to see attacks or items capitalised; it simply doesn't make sense to me. I prefer not to capitalise species names unless they're the actual names of the pokémon, but I can bear it, seeing as the precedent - for whatever reasons - is so clear.

    I don't even capitalise 'pokémon', though I go out of my way to add that little accent to the e. There's no grammatical justification for it that I know of, providing that one assumes the word 'pokémon' is not trademarked in-universe as it is here. Pokéverse denizens may even find it grating in the same way we might find the capitalisation of animal species grating. Actually, that could be amusing:

    "Go, Electric Mouse! Attack that Bird! Come back; I choose you, Turtle!"

    Makes sense in Germany, I suppose.

    (Someone quickly tell me what a bad idea it is to write a drabble about pokéverse authors arguing over the capitalisation of the fictional race of Animals.)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •