• The Common Noun method

5 11.36%
  • Other (specify in thread)

7 15.91%
  • Huh? What's capitalization?

2 4.55%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Capitalization Rules for Pokemon? (Discussion Topic)

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [discussion] What capitalization convention do you use?

What story was that, anyway? (Predictable. Your username on FanFiction.net is "Giratina". Kind of strange how nobody took it at that point, considering you registered two months after I did.)

Anyway, let's get back on track. I started mentioning Farla and everyone's talking about her now.

I'm not really sure I like the "Caps method" name for the Bulbapedia method. It just seems like the thing I'd do, making up a name based on an organization or some other proper noun for it. I'm not going to call it the German method either. And "caps" doesn't fit that.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 6th July 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

...and Never-Turn-Back. Giratina!'s Avatar
    somewhere on the other side of the multiple universes, on a track running parallel to your Earth...

Yeah, everywhere I post fanfiction I go under the name Giratina. It's a long and elaborate gag which under a different username would make no sense whatsoever. (The story was Metal Coat.)

Meh, until you brought the topic up I just divided it into "people who capitalize stuff" and "people who don't", so I'm not exactly the best reference for those sorts of names.
    valuable are the new friends
    yet priceless are the old;
    but they all have souls of silver
    and they all have hearts of gold.

wings have we | abecedarian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giratina! View Post
    (The story was Metal Coat.)
    I found it, and saw her reviews. Nothing about grammar, it was all storyline that she was flaming.

"ADULTS SHOULD NOT BE WRITTEN AS IF THEY ARE THE SAME AS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KIDS." Classic. (But some of them are the same as elementary school kids, you could protest.)

Actually, she does mention your grammar, in one line.

"There's also the capitalization issue and dialogue issue, both of which I've covered elsewhere."

Meh, until you brought the topic up I just divided it into "people who capitalize stuff" and "people who don't", so I'm not exactly the best reference for those sorts of names.
    I guess. I wonder if the Serebii people would appreciate it if I called it the Bulbapedia method on their forums? (I'm not calling it the Bulbagarden method because it's not exclusive to our site.)
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

How about these names?

"Common Noun Method" = "Common Noun Method"

"Field Guide Method" (Ornithology Method) = "Pokémon-only Method"

"Game Method" = "Bulbapedia Method"

"Variant (Context-Dependent) Game Method" = "Context-Dependent Bulbapedia Method"
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    How about these names?

"Common Noun Method" = "Common Noun Method"

"Field Guide Method" (Ornithology Method) = "Pokémon-only Method"

"Game Method" = "Bulbapedia Method"

"Variant (Context-Dependent) Game Method" = "Context-Dependent Bulbapedia Method"
    I'm not too keen on "Game Method", because the convention also applies to other franchises with virtual pets such as Digimon and Neopets. But the Field Guide method is an excellent suggestion.

somewhere on the other side of the multiple universes, on a track running parallel to your Earth...

Yeah, that one Evolution = adulthood thing kind of confused me because... well... I haven't ever followed the idea that Pokémon evolve according only to age, which entirely contradicted Farla. That's what bugs me about her - she can have any darn belief she wants, but nobody should go around trumpeting their fanon as canon. I also love it how, in the one line where she got somewhere close to making a competent and helpful review, she's just "***** you, random author, go hunting through my review archives if you want any actual advice".

...though I gotta admit, the story was shaky at the beginning. Fifth-grade writing FTW.

I can't say I completely understand the logic behind the christening of the Field Guide Method, but it sounds cool to me. /nodnod Yeah, I know, I'm a total help.

Blog Entries

I can't say I completely understand the logic behind the christening of the Field Guide Method, but it sounds cool to me. /nodnod Yeah, I know, I'm a total help.
    In field guides, the name of the animal being discussed is often capitalized, especially in field guides for birds, hence the alternative name "the Ornithology method".

Ah. That's pretty clever, actually.

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must say, seeing everyone else say that Farla chews them out for capitalization makes me feel much better about a couple of things. She's been ripping me apart for the way I capitalize for almost... two years? XD

I usually use the official capitalization - the one Bulbapedia uses - but sometimes I don't capitalize words based on how they're used. Pokemon, attacks, and items are always capitalized, League, Contest, and Poffin are too, but trainer depends on the context.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Dragon View Post
    I must say, seeing everyone else say that Farla chews them out for capitalization makes me feel much better about a couple of things. She's been ripping me apart for the way I capitalize for almost... two years? XD
    I blocked her preemptively because of the capitalization thing.

She's chewed me out for worse, and not in a review. I chewed her out for acting all arrogant in her story Unoriginality: An Original Trainer's Story and she went and said that I had no idea what I was talking about. Half of my reviews didn't even criticize what she was saying.

We're on better terms now, although she's still on my block list.

Blog Entries

That's what bugs me about her - she can have any darn belief she wants, but nobody should go around trumpeting their fanon as canon.
    That is not what mainly bugs me about her but is that is one of them.

My main pet peeve with Farla is her staggering arrogance and overt elitism and rudeness. She basically took it upon herself (and a small core of her followers) to launch what can only be called a crusade to "clean up" the Pokémon fan fiction section.

-------------------------------------------------

For names, how about "Virtual Pet Method" for the "Bulbapedia
    Method"?

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

For names, how about "Virtual Pet Method" for the "Bulbapedia Method"?
    I'm not sure... mainly because the phenomenon isn't meant to be a defining trait of the Virtual Pet genre.

A lot of fictional species in non-VPet genres also do this. For example, the Andalites in Animorphs, as well as the Howlers, the Chee, the Hork-Bajir, the Yeerks themselves...

I think a lot of the capitalization is context-dependency in the first place. Because these common nouns do not exist in a dictionary, there is a need to capitalize them to distinguish them from real words.

I bet that if Farla (and her band of reviewers) got a hold of other fandoms, they'd be saying the same thing. "Don't capitalize 'yeerks', what are you doing?"

There's another, separate band of reviewers on FF.net that focus on removing abusive stories. But the way they do it is just so snarky that they're never taken seriously.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 6th July 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Gah.

How about "Species Method" or "Xeno Method"?

Blog Entries

Gah.

How about "Species Method" or "Xeno Method"?
    Probably not... it should probably be something that references the capitalization itself, or what does the capitalizing, rather than the thing that's being capitalized. For example, the "Common Noun" method is the method where all common nouns are just common nouns without capitalization.

At this rate, the German method might not be such a bad contender for the main name after all.

Although "Xeno" might make sense. We'll see how it goes.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

My method is like this:

"The pokémon trainer gave his Squirtle a potion and hopped on his bicycle to the Viridian City Pokémon Center."

"The pokémon trainer ordered his Squirtle to use Tackle."

I'm trying to go towards the Common Noun method, though.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast