Can characters be hypocritical at times if it's acknowledged?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lugion

Thread: Can characters be hypocritical at times if it's acknowledged?

Blog Entries

Default Can characters be hypocritical at times if it's acknowledged?

Title pretty much sums it up.

The answer should be obvious but since I'm such a worrywart about what I attempt, I simply felt compelled to ask everyone here if they can. I ask this because of a lot of characters in other fiction are hated for many reason (well, duh) and one of which is being hypocritical in their character motives and not being called out for it. In addition, I intend to point out how, like with real people, characters can be written as hypocritical yet be called out for it. I believe it can make for an interesting character if explored enough such as with N or Team Plasma.

But, of course, deep down I feel like I'm barking up the wrong tree so here we are now. So, my issue aside, what do you think?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can characters be hypocritical at times if it's acknowledged?

Characters can be hypocritical, yes. They can be anything really. However, you do want to have the other characters point it out, otherwise your readers may think you don't even understand your own plot, your characters or their motives if something like that slips by the other characters.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

I agree with Caitlin. Characters can definitely be hypocritical. I've written plenty of characters who were. The important thing is for other characters to react realistically towards said character, which usually means calling their hypocrisy out, or said hypocrisy coming around to bite them in the plot, otherwise your character can turn into a swirling, sucking, blackhole of marysue-dom. Its when your other characters stop acting like real people and start acting like yes-men or convenient drama inducers that you actually have to worry. Real people can be hypocrites, so there is no reason your character can't be one as well.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

I personally think you don't even have to acknowledge it unless your character is getting called out by another. It's all part of their personality, isn't it?
    NoirGrimoir likes this.

Blog Entries

Of course. If real people can be hypocritical, so can fictional people.
    Rhonda: Okay, Curly, I admit it. I'm your secret admirer. And the truth is, no matter how hard I try and fight it, [reading off her hand] I'm really, really wild about you. In fact, I've fallen crazy in love. So what do you say? How does that make you feel?
    Curly: Give Daddy some sugar. (kiss)

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

Real people are hypocritical. Characters can just as easily be hypocritical. The goal is to not be so timid about your tale's construction so that you can allow it room to breathe and grow. Often times a character's hypocrisy can be far more revealing then their strengths, and can pave way for a solid story if handled appropriately. Now, as for it being acknowledged; that's a dual sided coin; are those around him courageous and strong enough to call out the individual on their hypocrisy? In the real world, you'll a great deal of people too timid or afraid to ever confront someone about their hypocrisy, I've seen it. If the people around him aren't the confrontation/argumentative type, would they challenge his hypocrisy? Or would they simply acknowledge in mentally?

There are larger questions here that can't be boiled down to concerns about whether or not the reader will lash out for it, you need to write for yourself first.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?