The Bulbagarden Book Chat - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Book Chat

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Book Chat

I'm currently reading Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. About 3/4 through, and it's frakking amazing. The first chapter alone established Thrawn as a better villain than Vader, and every chapter he's in just adds icing to that cake. I can't wait to finish it and read Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post

If you're going for John Green, I'd suggest Looking for Alaska first. Although it's his first novel, it came off to me as a lot more published than Paper Towns was, which had a couple of cool concepts but just didn't live up to the aura of Green-iness I'd been expecting (which is to say that it was quite good, but not a book blessed by the tears of gods and dipped in supreme awesomeness). LfA actually has a lot of elements that PT has, but LfA, to me, presented them a lot better and had a much better emotional impact and bang for the buck. Both are quite good, though.

...also, if you haven't read The Fault in our Stars yet, I demand that you drop everything and read it. :> It's also by Green, and it's his obligatory Cancer Book of Sadness, but it's beautifully written and was this close to making me cry near the end (and, as the person who has stonefaced basically every sad moment in books since I was six and read Old Yeller, that means a lot more than it says). One of my older cousins said that it's a book that would be much better if she read it as a teenager; that being said, I read it as a teenager and absolutely loved it. XD
    Oh, I've read TFIOS alright. Aaand I cried. 'Nuff said. xD
    Also, thanks for the recommendation/suggestion regarding LfA and PT. :) Will definitely follow your advice. xD
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Blog Entries

I'm currently reading The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver. It's a murder mystery about someone who uses a very unusual murder weapon: arc flash.

Another book I heartily recommend are the Bolo series by Keith Laumer. Granted, he's dead but there are other authors like David Drake, Mercedes Lackey and the like writing in his universe. It's military SF but the characters are sapient AI tanks -- the eponymous Bolos.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

It might sound kind of silly but the book I'm currenly reading is Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters xD in my defense these are books I wanted to read since I was like 12...I may be 19 but I still wanted to -w-

Blog Entries

I really can't blame you; I actually have The Lightning Thief in my reading queue.
    Flaze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaze View Post
    It might sound kind of silly but the book I'm currenly reading is Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters xD in my defense these are books I wanted to read since I was like 12...I may be 19 but I still wanted to -w-
    Nothing silly there. They're a fantastic series that constantly get better. No spoilers, The Sea of Monsters is probably the least interesting of the original five books. I can't wait for The House of Hades to come out.
    Leggo likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Anyone here read the Ranger's Apprentice series? It has to be my favorite series ever but I have only found a couple people who have read it.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

My friend reads that Soulmaster, he seemed to enjoy it but there always appeared to be too many books for me to get into it.

I've read the original Percy Jackson and the current three of Heroes of Olympus. I am waiting on House of Hades to come out but I am unsure if I will read it or not. I may get it out from the library but I am doubtful I will buy this one. I was not entirely impressed with Mark of Athena so it has left me unsure whether to carry on or not.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    My friend reads that Soulmaster, he seemed to enjoy it but there always appeared to be too many books for me to get into it.

I've read the original Percy Jackson and the current three of Heroes of Olympus. I am waiting on House of Hades to come out but I am unsure if I will read it or not. I may get it out from the library but I am doubtful I will buy this one. I was not entirely impressed with Mark of Athena so it has left me unsure whether to carry on or not.
    I read the Percy Jackson series, too. I wonder what happens after

Am I the only one that thinks Piper is a Mary Sue?
    Leggo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Piper is a Mary Sue?
    No. There are plenty of other people who think she is and loathe her for it. I'm not one of those people. In fact, I see nothing in her that indicates she's a Mary Sue, or at least nothing based on the Wikipedia article for Mary Sue.
    Leggo likes this.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    I'm currently reading Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. About 3/4 through, and it's frakking amazing. The first chapter alone established Thrawn as a better villain than Vader, and every chapter he's in just adds icing to that cake. I can't wait to finish it and read Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.
    The Heir to the Empire trilogy is phenomenal. Thrawn is such a good villain. I really need to go back and read those again.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Okay, so I've finished A Feast for Crows, and now I'm wondering if I should read The Lord of the Rings in honor of J. R. R. Tolkien's death (it's apparently a thing; kinda morbid, I know) or dive right on in to (my signed copy of) A Dance With Dragons.

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

I've been very interested to read the new J.K. Rowling book, but just quite haven't brought myself to do that yet.

I've been reading a sci-fi book in the 'Saga of Seven Suns', the second one, which I love to pieces. I find the story so intricate.

And beside that I've been reading a number of non fiction books as well!
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12