The Bulbagarden Book Chat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Book Chat

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default The Bulbagarden Book Chat

Since the big forum change around a few months back, the discussion of books has been moved into this forum, but until now, nothing has really been done about it. Well, I am here today to bring the discussion of books, fictional characters and all things literary related back to the forums!

This thread will allow everyone to discuss anything book related: any series, any character, any event! However, please remember to follow all forum and Fiction Fairground rules, so do not descend into big shipping wars or anything. And please be cautious when it comes to discussing franchises like A Song of Ice and Fire that some people may be only halfway through, so remember to use the spoiler tags when you feel necessary. Asides from that, lets all have fun discussing books! :D

I'll start things off with The Cuckoo's Calling, J.K Rowling's new book she released under a pseudonym. Has anyone else had a chance to read this? If not, I think everyone needs to read this book, it is fantastic! :D

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Book Chat

I'm currently reading A Feast For Crows. Only a few chapters in though, I've been busy with moving and whatnot.

tl;dr: Cersei sucks, Brienne kicks ass

I am reading the first book now, on a vacation in Croatia, so I usually read 3 chapters a day :) I've seen the whole HBO series, though :3 I agree with Lugion, am hating Cersei so much >.< poor little Lady :( and Brianne rocks in the series, though she's not in the book yet :) It's pretty good so far, but I'd like it a bit more if chapters had names instead of just telling us, whose POV the chapter is :3
    I'm definitely gonna read Cuckoo's Calling as I like Jo Rowling a lot :3 I still haven't read the Casual Vacancy though (has anyone read it? Was it worth reading?) :3

I only just finished the first book of ASoIaF, so no spoilers please, but it's been pretty fantastic so far. I had some brief rage when the characters acted like complete idiots for the sake of the plot, but I'm absolutely in-love with the world-building and style so it almost doesn't matter, haha.

I tried the Casual Vacancy and got really bored, so I stopped. Normally, I never put books down, but I'd borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back when they got back from vacation, and I just haven't had the urge to pick it up since. So I guess this makes it the first book I've ever left unfinished oh god I have to rectify this immediately

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nereus View Post
    I'm definitely gonna read Cuckoo's Calling as I like Jo Rowling a lot :3 I still haven't read the Casual Vacancy though (has anyone read it? Was it worth reading?) :3
    I enjoyed Casual Vacancy, but you need to be prepared for the fact it isn't anything like Harry Potter and it canb e a bit adult at times. I found that some people got disappointed when they read it and found it wasn't like Harry so they didn't like it, so get any of those thoughts out of your head before you read it :P

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Unfortunately, I don't really read much. I prefer to write. lol

But if I do read, I'm either reading my own stories (out of boredom and because I had fun writing them lol) or a Nancy Drew book. She is a totally awesome detective and a girl I can always enjoy reading about. :D Though her "boyfriend" Ned (he's called her boyfriend, but they don't really officially date or anything, just share a little kiss on occasion), is actually my favorite character in the series and I had a bit of a crush on him for the longest time. XD But Nancy herself is a close second, followed by George and then Bess. Not that Bess is bad, I just never seem to quite get into the girly girl characters as much as others. George (whose real name is Georgia, btw), meanwhile, is a tough tomboy and she reminds me of Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls, who was cool. Though I loved Bubbles too, whom Bess reminds me of. And Nancy actually somewhat reminds me of Blossom as well, since she's the smartest one of the group and also the "leader" and stuff.

I think Nancy Drew came first though, and the Powerpuff Girls could've loosely been based off of her and her friends. Who knows?

Currently, my favorite Nancy Drew mysteries are Riverboat Ruse, Lights, Camera..., and Action! (that last one is the direct sequel to the second one, if you didn't notice lol) But the first one I ever read, The Mistletoe Mystery, will also hold a special spot in my heart because it got me into the series and is still awesome.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I only just finished the first book of ASoIaF, so no spoilers please, but it's been pretty fantastic so far. I had some brief rage when the characters acted like complete idiots for the sake of the plot
    I was reading back over this, and I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I only just finished the first book of ASoIaF, so no spoilers please, but it's been pretty fantastic so far. I had some brief rage when the characters acted like complete idiots for the sake of the plot
    I was reading back over this, and I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this?
    Oh. Well--

Spoilers for A Game of Thrones ahoy. Beware, unsuspecting reader. I warned you.

Blog Entries

That's not really for the sake of the plot. Those actions were all firmly ingrained in each character's personality and characterization.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

That moment when everything's in spoiler tags, and I'm just here like, "Nope. Don't open it. Can't open it. MUSN'T open it. Don't do it. But it's so tempting..." xD

Anyways, I'm currently reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. After I finish with that, I'll either go to Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns, not sure which one yet, though.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

There were stupider people than them around at the time :P

I have been meaning to read a bit of John Green, considering The Fault in the Stars is the hot new thing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudkip View Post
    That moment when everything's in spoiler tags, and I'm just here like, "Nope. Don't open it. Can't open it. MUSN'T open it. Don't do it. But it's so tempting..." xD

Anyways, I'm currently reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. After I finish with that, I'll either go to Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns, not sure which one yet, though.

If you're going for John Green, I'd suggest Looking for Alaska first. Although it's his first novel, it came off to me as a lot more published than Paper Towns was, which had a couple of cool concepts but just didn't live up to the aura of Green-iness I'd been expecting (which is to say that it was quite good, but not a book blessed by the tears of gods and dipped in supreme awesomeness). LfA actually has a lot of elements that PT has, but LfA, to me, presented them a lot better and had a much better emotional impact and bang for the buck. Both are quite good, though.

...also, if you haven't read The Fault in our Stars yet, I demand that you drop everything and read it. :> It's also by Green, and it's his obligatory Cancer Book of Sadness, but it's beautifully written and was this close to making me cry near the end (and, as the person who has stonefaced basically every sad moment in books since I was six and read Old Yeller, that means a lot more than it says). One of my older cousins said that it's a book that would be much better if she read it as a teenager; that being said, I read it as a teenager and absolutely loved it. XD

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

currently reading notes from underground by fyodor dostoevsky and selected essays by samuel johnson. really enjoying the johnson essays, even if they are turgid – less so the dostoevsky, though it's thought-provoking and i feel like it's going to grow on me as i continue reading it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast