ATTENTION: Beta Readers 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Beta Readers 2.0

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Beta Readers 2.0

Hello and welcome Writer's Workshop members to the new and improved Beta Readers program!

The old thread has sadly died down, so we are relaunching it in a new thread and with a few new additions!

For those of you that do not know, a beta reader is someone who goes through another person's story, usually before it is posted but it can be afterwards, and looks for any sort of grammatical error, spelling mistake, continuity error, and gives feedback on the plots and characters. This is like reviewing a story, but it is less about posting thoughts of the chapter and more about helping the author improve both this story and their writing overall. It is a very useful way for authors to find ways to improve their grammar and spelling, and can help them fine tune their characters and plots.

If you would like to have someone be a beta reader for you, then all you have to do is give us the title, a link to your story, a brief description of your work and any areas you specifically want feedback on. This will help potential beta readers decide if they want to do your work and will give an indication of what expertise the beta reader could bring to help your work. Everyone that applies for a beta reader will have their name and story title put to the list below, and I will remove each name after you have received a reader. Try and stick to the same reader, but if they become unable to continue simply ask to be re-added to the list.

If you would like to be a beta reader, all you have to do is simply give me your name or post it in the thread and you will be added to the list. If you are specifically good with grammar, characterization, plot, any area, than add those in as well so authors have the option to specifically contact you for help. If you become unavailable to be a beta reader, contact me and I will make a note of it in the thread so you are not contacted.

Feel free to get involved: it is easy to apply and it will greatly help your story writing, and beta readers will have the ability to experience new and exciting stories and have the option to improve their wirting as well! We also encourage exchanges of beta reading and you can arrange beta reading outside of the thread, though if your name is on the list than let me know.

Enjoy! :D
    Brought to you by the Writer's Workshop Moderators

BETA READERS:
    1 @kenshin akagi: Specializes in grammar, plot and characterization
    2 @izarithSpecializes in catching technical errors and can help with plot and characters

*Bold means that this person currently is not Beta-Reading.

WAITING FOR A BETA READER:
    1. @Fire_Star: Intertwined Hearts
    2 @matt0044:My Pretty Sailor Soldiers: Friendship is Magic

BETA Teams:
    @izarith reading for @matt0044 (different story)
    @Kenshin reading for @KrimsonNomad
    Last edited by AceTrainer14; 30th October 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Gama and jasonwolf like this.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beta Readers 2.0

I would like to apply to be a beta-reader, please!

Name: Princess Crow

Strong Suits: Grammatical flaws, Spelling errors,

What I'm looking for: I'm not that great at writing, so I don't really want to be a beta-reader who contributes to the plot/flow of events, as I would think that I would mess up the story. However, I think that I definitely specialize in the physical sides of writing (comma placement, grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc.) so I'm looking for a position as a beta-reader where I merely find flaws and fix them.

Additional Note: I grade stories in the URPG, a very fun sub-forum of BMGf. You take a test to become a grader, and I passed this test, so I know what I'm doing. However, I do have certain responsibilities to the URPG, so I will only be able to take on one or two stories as a beta-reader, due to time constraints.

Thanks! I can be contacted on the forums or on AIM (my username is princessofcrows)

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

Title: Harry Potter Fanfic [Title TBD]
    Link: Not posted yet, but will share link privately with interested parties.
    Summary: Harry Potter fic, AU, creature!Harry, slash (guyxguy), Harry/harem, mpreg. Harry is taken from Godric's Hollow immediately after his parents' death by Eudora Nott, a good friend to Lily Potter and she flees with Harry and Theodore to America. I've got other things planned, but revealing that would totally ruin the story. Will discuss further plot events with interested parties.
    Feedback Areas: General beta things. Grammar, spelling, general English. Also, chatting with me regarding characters, plot, etc if necessary.

Feel free to message me here, on IRC, Skype, or Yahoo IM.
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Title: Nomad: Krimson Wanderer (its an original work)
    Link: Nomad: Krimson Wanderer

Summary: Nomad has two main points to it. the plot and my attempt at using one of my worse writing faults as a good thing. on the grmatic side I use the Mary sue to try and develop Nomad using a method often found in video games called "abli-tease" meaning the character gets all their powers at the start but then is striped of them. Nomad will have that happen with the first few chapters. the actual plot is about Nomad of course. Real name, Jasper Kihln Nomad is a one of a kind person in a world of technology with special magical powers. Only one person in the world, his brother knew about them, and when tradgey strike Nomad's home town leaving him the only surviver he decided with no one who can accept him to begin wandering the barrens of the world. the story starts off with him about five years later or later in general where he's honed his powers and now occasionally uses them for a general good. Then Nomad gets framed for a number of heinous crimes, and returns to wandering again. it is still a bit WIP.

feedback areas: pretty much everything. grammer being the least of my worries. This being an original work and trying to make a mary sue a good thing is requiring a lot of thought. I especially want assiatance on plot and characters.

Blog Entries

My old Beta Reader had to drop me since our time tables aren't able to match. I need a new one who can suit my needs to work on my fanfic. Here's what I'm working on and what I expect a Beta Reader to help me with:

Pokemon: The Black & White Adventures is my adaptation of the games, Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 obviously. The storyline for the first series basically follows Hilda, a 14 year old Pokemon Trainer, journeying Unova to enter the League, complete the Pokedex and stop Team Plasma with the mysterious young man named N. The second series (02) follows 16 year old Bunny (my nickname for the BW2 protagonist but her actual game name will be used as her birth name) and her boyfriend, Hugh, journeying Unova and encountering the revived Team Plasma.

If you have any doubts of this, I guarantee that the actual stories will NOT be carbon copies of the games' storylines and characters. It may be a Trainer Fic but I intend for it to stick out in a good way. Though the majority of their elements will be used, I intend to expand on them and put a twist on certain things. For one thing, Elesa is a singer and actress in addition to being a model and a Gym Leader. She even ditches work to be like a normal girl and her friendship with Bianca leads to interesting developments. Team Plasma has Seven Squadrons where six Knights (grunts) are grouped together and place in each town from Striaton to Irricus City. Hell, there are human vs human fights when the Pokemon are down and out. N is Hilda's rival and get mad about Pokemon and people instead of getting sad and crying. And yes, there's Ferriswheelshipping and I intend to pull it off well. I wish I could explain more but I'd rather not spoil anything outside PMs since a lot of these twists might genuinely surprise readers.

For a Beta Reader, I need someone who's a very frequent regular here with plenty of time to kill when discussing and brainstorming with me via PMs. If you're busy with personal issues at a particular moment, I'll understand and wait for your return if it's very important. You should be willing and interested to work with me and help me with my characters, stories and ideas. Maybe even make your suggestions. Of course, they must be a fan of Generation V and Unova with enough knowledge on it but you probably knew that.

They also must be flexible with dark, light and thrillingly epic tones as well as many different types of stories (action, adventure, mystery, Sci-Fi, etc) since my Trainer fic isn't mature in the sense of nudity, sex and extreme violence or light in the sense of the Pokemon Anime but on the level of epicness like Pokemon Special or Digimon more or less. And I don't just limit it to just those kinds of stories. It's pretty young adultish like Harry Potter or Molly Moon and I plan to give it a sense of an action cartoon with a storyline and standalone stories for the characters as well as elements so older readers can have fun. The characters are written to be gray (hence, the title's meaning) where they're not perfect in the sense that they makes mistakes like any person would. It's less cliched and shabby than you'd believe but I'll let you be the judge.

And example would be the Knights of Team Plasma act like they're the good guys and believe that they are so they aren't like evil mooks from Team Plasma or chaotically evil like the bad guys from Power Rangers. They believe they're like a band of rebels or a resistance trying to set the world the way it should (or rather the way they believe in). This is keeping up with the theme for characterizations: Black, White and Gray.

Anyways, my Beta needs to be imaginative for this and not take things too seriously. A fun and understanding person who doesn't treat this as an obligation. I also have Aspergers Syndrome so if I say something I shouldn't have by accident, please address this so I may apologize. I live in New Rochelle, New York so if you're able to be online when I am too, that'd be great.

So, any volunteers?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Remember you can contact any of the Beta Readers rather than waiting for them to check the list and see if they are interested.

I'd like to be a beta reader. I'm good with grammar and plot, and I'm fairly decent with characterization. I'm on practically all the time, and I can promise to report any busy days ahead of time.
    "Drown in Despair. This is the power of Madara Uchiha! Divine Power!"
    "Love is not necessary. Power is the only TRUE necessity!"
    "Oh, so they stopped the first meteor?...Let's see them stop the second one."

i'll gladly be a beta reader for anyone who wants one. (:
    i'm good at catching technical errors and i have no problem giving feedback here & there on plot/characters/etc. i'm free most of the time so it shouldn't take me long to get back to you!

my fanfiction.tumblr. ★ claims:

Blog Entries

...Kenshin became a beta reader without telling me... Well now I'm goign to force him to beta for me lol.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

@Princess Crow @kenshin akagi @izarith @AiedailEclipsed @KrimsonNomad @matt0044

As I have received no word from anyone, I presume that you are still looking for beta readers or someone to beta read for. I was wondering if any of you, or anyone else that wants to be/needs a beta reader, if you would like to be paired up with someone else? Let me know if you would like to be and I will get straight on it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post

As I have received no word from anyone, I presume that you are still looking for beta readers or someone to beta read for. I was wondering if any of you, or anyone else that wants to be/needs a beta reader, if you would like to be paired up with someone else? Let me know if you would like to be and I will get straight on it
    Damn, I forgot to say that @izarith is my beta.

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post

No longer required.
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Blog Entries

oh sorry. I contacted Kenshin privately and he accepted the position. Gave him the first three chapters already, and am working on the rest.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

That is alright guys. Just let me know of any changes (ie beta reader no longer required or the like) so I can update the page.
    Last edited by Seizon Senryaku; 5th October 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm still available for beta-reading, and I would be fine with just about anything. I wouldn't mind giving more feedback either. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle characters or plot, but I'm fairly certain my schedule has cleared up enough to be able to take this task on as well.

I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, but I most likely won't pursue a writer asking if he or she wants me as a beta-reader. It's not that I'm too lazy to search for a beta-reading position -- I'm actually wanting one -- but I think that somebody should want me as a beta-reader instead of having me just because nobody else will. Of course, if nobody wants me as their beta-reader, I'm fine with that as well.

Sorry if that sounded self-centered or anything; it definitely wasn't meant to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast