Asking People to Read Your Fic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Asking People to Read Your Fic

Blog Entries

Default Asking People to Read Your Fic

Had a pretty good conversation with Flame Haze about this, just wanted to take the discussion board-wide. What are your thoughts on VMing people, requesting them to read your fic?

I have no problem with the premise. A little advertising never hurt anyone, and it's a good way to get the word out there that you have a new fic out. But where I have a problem with it is when it gets to the point of near-spamming. Here is my take:

Sure, everyone wants as many readers and posts on their fic's thread as they can get. But IMO, constantly VMing people with "Hey, my new chapter is up" can be a little annoying. In addition, isn't it true that if you are writing a fic that people genuinely enjoy reading, that there wouldn't be a need for the "Hey my new chapter is up" post? Sure, people are busy and they sometimes need reminding, but I guess my feeling is that if the chapter is up, the people who like reading your fic will find it. And obviously, a one-time heads up to people, informing them that the fic is up and ready to be read is just fine. But after you inform someone that the fic is there, I don't think the constant barrage of VMs is necessary after that (and certainly not o a chapterly basis). If they are into your fic, they will stay current with reading it.

IMO when you have to constantly VM the same people chapter after chapter, asking them to read, it's a clear sign that they aren't really into your fic. And in this case, it becomes spamming.

I've been guilty of this too, but I think instead of spending a whole lot of time copying and pasting "Hey, my latest chapter is up, COMMENT!" to everyone's VM board, the author should instead worry more about improving their skills and their particular fics so that such spam tactics are not needed. If you truly create something (take Rival's Story for instance) that a lot of people love to read and actively follow... then the post count/reviews will take care of themselves.

Also guilty of this, but I think there is waaaaay too much emphasis on post count and number of views in our little community at times. It's not about how many people click on your fic's thread to read... it's about the quality of the writing and the improvement of skills so that we can all help each other to get better as writers. The post/view numbers are pretty trivial IMO.

What say you guys? Do you think the "Hey, my new chapter is up. COMMENT!" VMs are warranted or unecessary? Is it helpful to readers or does it come off as desperate? What are your thoughts on asking people to read your fic?

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Asking People to Read Your Fic

If I know the person, I'm fine with them VM or PMing me. But I only mention my fic if it somehow pertains to the conversation. Or if a new chapter is up.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Sometimes, they're necessary. Say, if you post the first chapter of a fic, but nobody reads it, then yeah, but make sure they actually read fan fiction first.

At the same time, it's generally true that if you're good enough, you won't need to. You just have to be able to distinguish between times when you do need to, and times when you don't.

But generally, a cool banner is enough. ;)

Blog Entries

I think saying something like "A new chapter is up, if you want to read it!" Is okay one or two times, and then if they don't reply, stop, but that is just me.

Blog Entries

And I don't want people to get me wrong. We all have lives and are busy, so it does help when I get a little "Hey, when you have time, I have a few chapters up...can you read when you get the chance."

I'm just saying that at a certain point too much begging can come across as desperate and downright annoying.

If someones asking, yes, but it doesn't feel right to say 'read my fic'. I can't put my finger on why though.

I like when someone says 'my new chapters up', but if someone starts saying 'read my fic! join my fan club! vote me president!' then it gets a little awkward.

Credit for the amazingly awesome banner goes to Blazaking EX!!!
    Credit for the equally awesome Avatar goes to 'Kingdra!!!
    My Fanfiction account, reveiws welcome

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny View Post
    If someones asking, yes, but it doesn't feel right to say 'read my fic'. I can't put my finger on why though.

I like when someone says 'my new chapters up', but if someone starts saying 'read my fic! join my fan club! vote me president!' then it gets a little awkward.
    I'm not so much arguing the semantics of it, but I guess my point is that an author should let his or her actual writing content speak for itself. A truly great author (GM, Ryutakashi, Aladar), doesn't need to constantly remind people of new chapters up. If the story is good enough, readers will come.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Yeah, but what if a person likes your fic but doesn't always go and check out every day to see if it's being updated.

I agree with this.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only ever do it to people who ask me for it in the first place.

It annoys me to type those things up as well as others, so I don't do it. As in, me personally, typing them up, annoys me.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I do this discretely by linking the fic in my sig and updating the latest episode as needed
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Only every once in a while, and to people I know like the fic. Not to be a bother *bother bother bother*, but I like to have people review, it helps me get to writing bigger and better.
    Last edited by Der_Neuevenmenschen; 25th August 2010 at 07:49 PM.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't do it unless I'm actually having a conversation through VMs/PMs.

...and just like I bother no one with this, I don't like to be bothered either.

Especially not with the "will you read my fic?" variety of messages. I hate those. And those who have done that to me know who they are...

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Blog Entries

*Crings and raises hand slowly*
    Guilty as charged.

When I started off as a writer in the workshop, I needed to get people to read the story. It sucks when you post to get critism and no one helps you out. I either go to the reviewer's thread or SOMETIMES ask someone who know what their doing, and if they don't reply or say something than I back off.

As for reminding people, I do it to some and not for others. Personally I prefer someone reminds me because I simply don't have time to log in during the day, it helps me get my priorites straight.

If you're uncomfortable with it than say it. Why keep quiet? No one's gonna hold it against you.
    The reviewer's thread is great resource though, I use it when I'm stuck or need another point of view. We all know that harsh critism is way better than an "Epic" or "Awesome" post, right?

I'll try to change that habit. And sorry if I ever (unintentionally...) annoyed anyone.

Blog Entries

When i post a new fanfic i will ask some ppl to look at it and if they reply i will tell them when a new chap is up.
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I tell my friends when I have a new story/chapter/part up, as they don't pay much attention to some of the boards, so that way they know. If some random starts harassing me to read their story, I find it a bit weird and unnecessary.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast