Am I the only one who finds writing battles boring? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who finds writing battles boring?

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I the only one who finds writing battles boring?

I dont like writing battles either, theyre fun to imagine and fun to read (some of them), but not write (then I never watched the show for the battles, so maybe thats why)

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I think it can depend on the context. Like a battle between two characters on opposing sides with tension between them.
    A.k.a.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    tension
    It's like comparing the Obi-wan vs. Darth Vader battles, between Star Wars 3 and 4. In 3 there was a ton of action, the tension was in all the acrobatics they had to do (oh, and who can forget all the LAVA?). In 4, the tension was carried all in the dialogue, the subtext. They didn't clash blades very much, but they didn't need to; that wasn't the point.

I don't have a problem writing battles, but I generally do have a concept about where I want the battle to go before going in. For example, one chapter I have has my main characters battling a Zoroark (disguised as a legendary Pokemon) but they don't know that -- they do start to realize a few clues that there's something a bit 'off' about the legendary, but it isn't until they've traded several blows (and nail a good hit) that they actually break Zoroark's illusion and reveal him for what he is. (Unlike the games, where Zoroark's illusion breaks at the first hit.) At which point Zoroark makes a quick retreat.

So in the meantime the tension comes from the fact that they're right psychologically intimidated (not to mention physically dwarfed) by the presence of this "legendary" standing right in front of them. Neither side exactly wants to pick a fight, but neither are they backing down from each other.

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked... but:

"how exactly DO you write your battles?"

I'm meticulous with details, so I often envision my battles as if I were watching a Monty Oum fan film (in-depth action sequences, and occasional pauses to give the story a minute to view the characters' thoughts). I even shift the perspective away from the usual first person to give my story that sort of feel.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I find them quite boring or at least difficult to write a lot of the time. My trouble with them is that it's a lot more difficult to make them unique and interesting than it is with other parts of the story, particularly when you've got a lot of battles in your fic (and so can't keep repeating the same thing!).

One thing I had to start doing was to just cut out all of the casual battles. Here's the thing: if something is boring to write, it's usually going to be boring to read too. It's totally fine to just say "And then he battled a load of Bug Catchers and beat them all easily." (though maybe written a little better xD) Whenever I've written fics with big battles in them I always spend a lot of time choreographing the battle before actually writing it because otherwise I find it becomes very one dimensional. You have to really push yourself to think outside the box, and work out how the normal moves can be used in unexpected ways so that it keeps the reader on their toes. Just remember that things don't have to function like they do in the games.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I find battles are the most fun to write when done really well. Double battles are the only ones I dislike as you have a lot to juggle with those, but single battles are lots of fun as long as you are creative. If you just write them like the games then things get dull quite easily, as, let's be frank, most battles in the games are actually quite boring. You need to jazz things up to make them more interesting: one of my favourite battles I've written is a six on six battle that takes place during a storm on a beach, and involves non-Water type Pokemon fighting in the ocean and a lot of explosions and unique takes on moves. You have to put your own spin on battles in order to make them interesting, and then you can make them enjoyable

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

I definitely don't find writing them dull - a bit tiresome, you could say, especially for the large and long ones, but not at all boring. It could take a while, but I've always been on the slow, bit-by-bit side of things, so I've never really found the battle scenes boring, no matter how slow I may feel I'm going. I guess I find them enjoyable to write because I get to imagine all the moves being executed up in my head, and that sortof gets me pumped to put what I'm seeing into words. I like looking at moves in a different light and trying to twist them into working differently (if that makes sense lol). I also like to include the characters' reactions to how the move was performed and how it affected them with regards to their five senses: maybe the blood-red color of a gash in the mon's flank for sight, the smell of scorched fur suffering from burns from the opponent's last fire attack, the feeling of the ground scraping against the mon's back as it slides across the floor, the defiant battle cry for the sense of hearing, or perhaps the bitter taste on the character's tongue when he sees his git of a rival? That and delving into the emotions/trains of thought of the characters involved (whether trainer or Pokemon) makes it so much more interesting, I think. Oh, and, we mustn't forget the setting, too! A unique battleground is sure to bring about certain twists and turns to the battle sequence, and keeping the place's features in mind would possibly encourage playing around with the characters actions/attacks even more. For example, you might set it in a forest where the mons could sortof play a game of hide-and-seek, using the towering trees and other forms of plantlife to obscure them from vision; or, perhaps, you might set it on a mountain side/trail, where boulders and other obstacles of that sort could come tumbling down at any given moment, requiring the mons to act swiftly, to deliver their attacks as devastatingly as possible to end the bout quickly (as to why they would even be battling there... I couldn't think of anything else, okay? :P)
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

I originally made this thread about battles between two Trainers having a "traditional" Pokémon Battle being somewhat tedious for me to write.

But I'm actually coming near to writing a sequence in which two of the main human character's Pokémon get lost in the woods and get attacked by a pack of WILD Pokémon which they are forced to fight off, (their dialog is all "translated" so effectively the Pokémon are functioning as "people" in this context) and I'm actually finding myself eagerly anticipating writing this.

Maybe the difference is that the this time the characters will actually be in life-or-death danger this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    But I'm actually coming near to writing a sequence in which two of the main human character's Pokémon get lost in the woods and get attacked by a pack of WILD Pokémon which they are forced to fight off, (their dialog is all "translated" so effectively the Pokémon are functioning as "people" in this context) and I'm actually finding myself eagerly anticipating writing this.

Maybe the difference is that the this time the characters will actually be in life-or-death danger this time around.
    I think the difference is that you're presenting the battle from the Pokemon's perspective instead of their Trainer's. What does a Trainer typically do in battles, anyway, stand back and issue commands? They're not an active participant in the battle. They're not the ones getting slashed, burned, soaked, zapped, poisoned, or frozen on the front lines of Pokemon battling.

Incidentally, that's one thing I really liked seeing in that series called Huntik: Secrets & Seekers -- while it is primarily a card-based Mon-summoning series, their human characters do get actively involved in battles. They can and do use special combat moves, battle human-on-monster when they need to; they're not just idle spectators and moral support. (IMHO, much of Digimon was worse than Pokemon in this aspect, as the Digimon were perfectly capable of fighting independently and the human digidestined/tamers/etc. were effectively just convenient monster targets.)

#1 Gumshoe Special Agent Looker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Special Agent Looker on Facebook
    Follow Special Agent Looker on Tumblr

I never liked writing battles. It's one of the reasons I stopped writing Pokemon GK - it just got so dull and repetitive after a while.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

In Pokemon: The Song of Jewels, Brock and Wendy do have weapons (he a bow, and she a sword) and they do use them (most recently against an angry Rhydon)

To script their battles, I decide on a reasonable number of turns (taking into account skill level, the opponent, how the Pokemon are doing, any type (dis)advantages, and how difficult the fight should be), then assign each participant a code based on their role in the battle. I then put all the codes into a choice maker and have it choose who attacks that turn--perfect for scripting a battle on the fly
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

I wrote a battle in one of my chapters and there's more to go. It felt like writing any other part of my story. It wasn't boring and reading it over, I like how it turned out.

Personally, I dislike writing the standard battles that people have in fics (ie one pokemon vs one pokemon in some sort of referee-able place to ensue that nothing truly interesting happens, typically for a badge or something). To me, there are only so many possible iterations of attacks and dodges and things to say when a pokemon gets hit/is scratched/cries out/is on fire, and I also feel like all of those iterations have been covered in more interesting ways by other people. I try to make things interesting with different battlegrounds and stuff (I believe I once read a really good fic where a battle was fought atop a pair of metagross or something), but honestly, I tend to skim through the battles and get to the meat of the story.

Also, this is just me, but I find the "this is my first battle with my best friend/bitter rival/random pidgey" battles are almost always in a fic and almost always ridiculously boring. At least in later chapters, there can be cool moves and your pokemon can pull off dodges and stuff without looking completely broken, but I can watch bulbasaur tackle charmander on my cartridge and at least multitask, thank you very much. XD

...unfortunately, I mapped out my fanfiction and found that, yes, I have quite a few battles to make entertaining for myself and my readers.

Yeah, unfortunately, not all of us can write something like Pokemon Special/Adventures were the battles are very innovative and clever. Though I wouldn't say that should stop you from trying and maybe thinking outside the box. Maybe be action-y outside a standard official battle with rules like against an evil team pursuing your protagonist who uses Pokemon to win anyway (s)he can. Or a feral Pokemon chasing you due to an accident where your protagonist is like "Screw the rule, I wanna live!" and fights dirty. Perhaps the opponent is cheating cleverly. They don't all have to be all a official and crap.

Hell, Gym Battles can be pretty unconventional too in your fic.
    Last edited by matt0044; 26th July 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklian View Post
    I did not think so that writing is a boring thing because it is the who give you such kind of series and also all of our movie stories are based on these kind of writings so you should consider these interesting.
    Here's the thing, though. When you're watching an action sequence on TV or in a movie, it's exciting and takes place in however long it's supposed to. Writing that action sequence, on the other hand, isn't, especially for animation. For an animated show or movie, the writer(s) must detail the exact actions of each party in said action sequence because there are no actors or choreographers to take a basic description (sword duel, both sides attack and counter, hero dodges lethal thrust, hero lands lethal thrust) and flesh it out to make it more exciting. It's especially true for writers of books/novels/fan fiction, because here, we have to not only describe the action for someone to understand, but even more detail than what animation needs is required to give that level of excitement while maintaining the proper pace for an action sequence. I haven't seen any professional scripts for movies, but I am willing to bet that the writer would just put what's needed to outline the action sequences and let the actors and choreographers flesh it out with believable improvisation* unless they have exact details on how they want it to play out, in which case the choreographers would do what's needed to make that vision a reality.

*Believable improvisation relates to the physics of the universe the setting takes place in (a lightsaber duel in a Star Wars movie would make use of harnesses to include the Force-assisted acrobatics of the fighters involved, while a standard sword fight in medieval Europe between two armored knights would have the two exchanging blows without doing anything crazy like the aforementioned Force-assisted jumps) used when filming an action sequence when the action isn't fully described by the writer(s) to make the action more realistic for said universe.

Well, I find writing battles for Pokemon the least fun thing in the world. If we're talking outside of that, I can get a little frustrated and such but I wouldn't say it's /boring/ to say the least.
    "Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that!
    That's MY endearing character trait!"

- Detective Dick Gumshoe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast