To All Writer's Workshop Authors: A Call to Action

Like Tree14Likes
  • 14 Post By Legacy

Thread: To All Writer's Workshop Authors: A Call to Action

Blog Entries

Default To All Writer's Workshop Authors: A Call to Action

WARNING: tl;dr coming up...

While I am no longer a mod here in my beloved Writer's Workshop, I do feel a certain sense of pride as one of the elder statesmen here (been here for nearly 3 years although I know a number of people who have been here longer), and I'd like to ask you all for your help.

First of all, I'd like to express how awesome I think the WW is.

As I've said before, with all my health issues, depression, lonliness and apathy are things I struggle with mightily on a daily basis, and as crazy or cliche as it sounds, this place, the friends I've made here, and of course the opportunity to write and post my work here has literally, truly helped me have some semblance of happiness and a much needed sense of comradery and friendship in my life.

But obviously everyone has issues and everyone here loves to write, so I know I'm not alone. That brings me to my main point:

We need to collectively do a better job of reviewing each other's work.

I'm not trying to overstep my bounds by telling you what I think you should do, but we, the Authors and Readers of Bulbagarden's Writers Workshop are a community.

And I realize we all have our own lives and often feel like we don't have enough time to work on our own writing let alone read other people's .

But we have to remember that in addition to being a website on which we are able to post our fics, the WW is a community, a forum.

We all work very hard on our literary projects. We put a lot of time and effort into writing stories and poems that we can be proud of and feel good about and share with others. We all invest a lot in our writing.

Keeping all that in mind, I think we owe it to one another to, at the very least, make an honest effort to review fellow Workshop authors' work.

I know we shouldn't be writing for reviews and instead should be writing for ourselves, but let's face it, we all like feedback and to know that people are actually reading the stuff we pour our hearts and souls into, right?

So join me. If we each make a concerted, honest effort to read and review other authors' fics regularly, I think we could really help each other out. It doesn't have to be a lot. Even if it's one or two chapters here and there, let's do this.

Obviously, Aladar's Review Exchange is a useful tool, but I'm talking about just a change in mindset.

Instead of constantly worrying about updating our own serial fics or whatever we're working on, let's each try to set aside a few minutes to offer our opinions and suggestions to others. If we all work together, we can all help each other out.

There's plenty of awesome stories of a wide range of genres, styles and universes. So go pick something, anything you like and give it a try. Chances are, you'll find something you will thoroughly enjoy.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

Thanks for reading this.
    Last edited by Legacy; 29th December 2011 at 04:05 AM.

Default Re: To All Writer's Workshop Authors: A Call to Action

Yea man...I quit writing cause no one reviewed,but now...I'm gonna continue writing!
    "Drown in Despair. This is the power of Madara Uchiha! Divine Power!"
    "Love is not necessary. Power is the only TRUE necessity!"
    "Oh, so they stopped the first meteor?...Let's see them stop the second one."

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Could not have put it better myself. Reading is as, if not more, important as writing to keep this forum alive and active.

Also, many of the stories here are simply awesome and if you're not reading around, you're missing out.

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

That's definitely a very inspiring speech, Legacy.

admittedly, though, I''ll do my best to try out a fic or two, though I'm usually a very finicky reader (with a bit of an obnoxious sense of humor, and favoring a darker story to bring about more realistic character development, and so on). at the same time, I've still yet felt my story to be really set for posting here, though I do intend transfer it over from FF.net. who knows, perhaps this apparent complex of mine will go over once I've gotten used to the community...

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I have to agree 100%. One thing that always gets to me is how no one is reviewing what I write. Whenever I post a new chapter I ask that if readers have anything to say about it, to make a post. I know that I have readers, but the fact that no one is commenting has made me consider many times about whether or not I should just drop the series or deliberately miss a deadline and see who complains.

However, I'm not perfect myself. I need to start reviewing fanfics more myself. By not reviewing fanfics as often as I'd to (as Legacy pointed out, time is a factor) I'm just risking putting other writers in the same position that I constantly find myself in, so that's not good either.

People don't read mine either.
    Pika to the mofoing Chu!

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberPika View Post
    People don't read mine either.
    As Josh said, there's a difference between people reading and people reviewing. Don't get disheartened just because people aren't replying!

Also, make sure you give people plenty of good replies! If you don't reply or, worse still, don't even read - you're making people feel exactly the way you feel!