The 3 Keys to a Good Short Comment - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The 3 Keys to a Good Short Comment

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The 3 Keys to a Good Short Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    Disagree on the ratings, slightly. Ratings have strengths, but they say nothing. I always read the comment and judge based on the content of said comment/review, not the score. It's only worth it if it's really, really poor (below 5/10) or really good (above 9/10); then the rating may say something about the story. Even then though, there are exceptions, as you may like something even though others abhor it.
    This is why, whenever I give any numerical ratings, there are always detailed comments justifying the rating.

Also, to address the point about the arbitrariness of ratings. Who says 5/10 is "really poor"? I personally use 4~5/10 as the "mediocre" rating, and a "really poor" fic would get only 1 or 2/10.

That being said, I really haven't been reading many fics lately, so this is only my best current practice based on past experience.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    Also, to address the point about the arbitrariness of ratings. Who says 5/10 is "really poor"? I personally use 4~5/10 as the "mediocre" rating, and a "really poor" fic would get only 1 or 2/10.
    Agreed, 5/10 does not imply 'really poor'. Really, it should imply a sort of average quality, given that it's the mid-way mark.

I feel that unless you're going into great detail, and using quite firm analytical criteria, it's best to use a five-star-system. It simplifies it to horrendous, poor, average, good, and excellent, which is so much easier, as a choice to make.

...and that, if anything exemplifies the problem with numerical ratings; people have different standards for ratings. I went overboard when I said 5/10 is really poor, for me it's something that's just about readable/watchable without killing my sense of enjoyment. Anwyay, different people have different connotations regarding numerical ratings, which is the problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor
    I feel that unless you're going into great detail, and using quite firm analytical criteria, it's best to use a five-star-system. It simplifies it to horrendous, poor, average, good, and excellent, which is so much easier, as a choice to make.
    This. I agree.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    I wouldn't mind at all, good sir, provided I am credited.
    But of course.

COMING SOON!

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    Agreed, 5/10 does not imply 'really poor'. Really, it should imply a sort of average quality, given that it's the mid-way mark.
    The reason 5/10 implies "really poor" is because people conflate it with school grades, where anything below 5 or 6/10 is a fail.

I specifically state that my rating system is not how I think rating systems "should be"; it's simply the way I choose to rate things.

I tend to give 100-scale ratings for the general fic, especially when doing awards. The scale is definitely not good enough to rate down to a single point, but I find it to be rather accurate.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12